PDA

View Full Version : re 4-20 hunt

tombstone
09-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Had a great week in Kimberly Good hunting! Got 2 whities and my cow elk! Right on;) Saw tons of game, probably 100 whitetail, 20 mulies, 45 elk. Had coyoties breathing down my neck while I was calling, Wow, the night b4 the full moon the Elk were going nuts, my partner watched a 7 or 8 x, mount a cow ( sounds like it was that big from what he explained) but he was afraid to take the shot cause he couldn't really count the horns, Dam! lol, then he sent me in the wrong direction as he pushed it towards me. lol.His French accent makes our comunication somewhat tough over the radios.:?
Man I sure confirmed to myself again how good wearing camo and scent etc. improves your odds!!!!
Now what we "DON'T" like to talk about---up in one slash we scared up 2 huge 5-7 pointers(donkies)took a 600 head shot and missed, next time up on the slash it was pissin out, just got soaked got back to the truck, moved down a bit a rattled, out through the brush we could just make out 6 or7 monster mulies together 380 or so yrds away, what an awsome sight!!!!! took another couple of head shots and missed lol ( don't like to shoot for lungs or heart when the chance of them getting into the timber is likley, which it was in this area, plus it was real steep!!! Next time up there after some time we moved down and sat in the last part of the slash, saw nothing, so just b4 we were to leave I clapped my hands and up poped a huge 5 point muley, 300 yrds away,,,,I'm droppin him!!Hit him behind the shoulder and we spent over 2 hours looking for him, GONE-dammit, oh well we tried our best but lost him, I hate that!!!what can you do We had a great time!
Now have to get ready for my moose hunt! YEE HAA
Hope my new friends from Quesnel did alright? Nice Bob Cat pics Chris!!!
Gary

todbartell
09-19-2005, 03:07 PM
holy shit...

BCrams
09-19-2005, 08:42 PM
I have a few things to say that may stir the pot -

WHATS UP WITH HEAD SHOTS AT 600 YARDS FOR ????????????????????????

ETHICALLY you are NOT A HUNTER ................ geeeezus christ.

YOU STAND MORE CHANCE OF WOUNDING AN ANIMAL TAKING 600 yard "head shots" more than anything else.

THEN -------- you *^*^&*(@#&$(&# TOOK ""HEAD SHOTS"" on ~380 Yard muleys ............ christ man ..... you are again NOT A HUNTER .........

YOUR BEHAVIOUR LEAVES EVERYTHING IN BAD TASTE ..................

AND I HADN"T EVEN READ ABOUT THAT BUCK YOU HIT BEHIND THE SHOULDERS......

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING ......... A BUCK HIT BEHIND THE SHOULDERS IS A DEAD BUCK ..............

2 HOURS IS NOT "TRYING YOUR BEST" TO FIND THAT BUCK .......

I AM JUST BESIDE MYSELF ........ IF I HAD WITNESSED ALL OF THAT ..... I SWEAR I WOULD HAVE BUST YOUR RIFLE IN HALF ACROSS A TREE.

YOU SHOULDN'T BE HUNTING ......... IF THATS HOW YOU CONDUCT YOUR HUNTS AND TOTAL LACK OF RESPECT WITH SHOOTING.......IT MAKES ME WONDER HOW MANY WOUNDED ANIMALS YOU'VE DONE OVER THE YEARS.

rrfred
09-19-2005, 09:18 PM
pretty sickening, nuff said.

Hanrahan
09-19-2005, 09:32 PM
I don't even know what to say. Disrespectful might sum it up.

ruger#1
09-19-2005, 09:39 PM
i sure hope you dont hunt in my area. 600 yard head shots area totaly stupid. sounds like my father in law. he can shoot humming birds with open sights at 500yrds, i shake my head with discust. im with bc rams on this one al the way:evil:

BlacktailStalker
09-19-2005, 10:17 PM
I though the post was a crude joke. Hope theres no tree huggers reading this.

todbartell
09-19-2005, 10:59 PM
I figured he might be a tree hugger with too much time on his hands when I read it...http://www.ls2.com/forums/images/smilies/jerkit.gif

Freshtracks
09-19-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm really suspicious of this post after reading it. I know there are some real bad apples out there, but the whole post seems far-fetched.

Regardless ... years ago I made the mistake of trying a neck shot on a muley buck at 75 yds. downhill. After missing him and thinking I'd wounded an animal (seen him later carrying his head high ... clean miss) I'll think twice and I consider myself to be a pretty capable shot.

Now as far as distance shooting goes ... I'll bet my best skinning knife that most hunters wouldn't know 300 yds. from 600 yds. ... let alone be successful taking shots at game at those ranges. Heads shots? I've seen many a target from hunters sighting in at the range and they'd be lucky to make a lung shot with what they consider to be adequate shooting groups ... and that's done with a rest.:roll:

Kirby
09-19-2005, 11:08 PM
If this isn't a farce, and your telling the truth, your an embarresment to hunters, and a pathetic person.

Kirby

TinMan
09-20-2005, 01:16 AM
ABSOLUTLEY FRICKIN DISPICABLE!!!!!!!!:evil: It is people like you that give ethical hunter's a bad name . You are a poster boy for the anti's and tree huggers. Its hard enough to legitimize our sport to the masses with out crap like this getting out. You should be ashamed of yourself I also hope you cancel your tag for the wounded and in all likely hood dead deer. You my friend have tagged out and should not shoot another animal.

Kirby
09-20-2005, 01:24 AM
He says he is a logger, wonder what do you do? run Machinary? Hand faller? hauler? Just curious, would like to know if he is full of it.

Kirby

Foxer
09-20-2005, 01:58 AM
Okkayy.

Well, i think i'll lock this thread down. I can't see any non-insult based responses in the near future. (a reminder folks - insults are not allowed under the rules).

tombstone - what you are describing is at best unethical. Headshots on deer are a slightly questionable practice at the best of times - but at 600 yards? Even 300 yards is pretty questionable behaviour.

tombstone
09-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Holy Crap guys, settle a bit
First off I'm not a tree hugger,I don't bull***t,I know 300 to 400 yrds via range finder, and I've killed deer dead at 3oo yrds.neck shot right,not head shot, sorry. You are absolutly right! I should not take 600 yrd shots, I was excited, he had know where to go, I could have emptied my clip but didn;t. I kind of got talked into it. I do not do this all of the time, what you may think,that was the only time I have shot at an animal over say 350 or so yrds, as I said, I don't like to wound game.
I do consider myself as a good hunter and I probably, no, DO deserve to get ***t for it,
I like to make friends, not enemies, and will remember this post next time I see an animal over 300 yrds.
Again, sorry to those I offended,
I screwed up and I won't do it again
End of subject
Gary

Ronforca
09-20-2005, 12:55 PM
The whole thing sounds like a big joke to me.I hope that it is.If true I am very disgusted that there are hunters out there like that.Kind of makes me sick.

todbartell
09-20-2005, 12:58 PM
learning from our mistakes is the only way we can get better...

NEEHAMA
09-20-2005, 02:42 PM
hey if he had of dropped the head shot he may have been a hero?

i know a guy you all may know him to, he builds up freaky rifles for picking off game 500-1000 yards. at first i told him he was a liar. i then asked around. a few gun smiths i spoke to know him! they explained the type of barrel, scope etc. i was also told it takes two people to execute these shots. apperently one guy with a laptop the other setting the gun etc. crazy stuff hey? he has a better score than alot of hunters i know. he makes clean kills and enjoys the long range.

i'm not sure if this is the case with our friend here but on a different note i sure seen alot of angry posts/reply's without asking a little more about the senerio. so quick to fight. yes he did say he missed a few which was a red flag that he never had a laptop and spotter but we should have still asked a few more questions. i'm not defending anyone but i myself would have asked about the gun, his rest, long range expereince and his military background before i called him an as#$%^#. what if the guy was a expert? is it any different than bow hunters taking shots over the 30 yard mark? i hear of 50plus yard arrows.? or grampa's old 303 with open sites at 100 yards when the shooter is only ten years old . is this any different? i think if you have the equipment and the hours at the range at 400+ , then your better off than any "weekend only" hunter with no practice at 200yards.

i like to shoot 75-100 yards. with a scope on my rifle.

try, to explain to someone that they may have made an ethics error and teach. don't bark.

ruger#1
09-20-2005, 02:59 PM
well i think a 500 yrd head shot or even a 100 yrd head shot is still taking a chance, and i have taken alot of head shots below 100 yrds. i even shoot the grouses head off at about 20 yrds, the two whitetails in my gallery were both headshots at 60 yrds. now when i shoot it is heart and lung shots. better to be safe then sorry. the deer in my avatar was a 50yrd shot in the heart lung area. he ran 40 yrds, and he tasted good, always remember a deers head can turn in a second.

todbartell
09-20-2005, 05:07 PM
1/3 of a second :redface:

Kirby
09-20-2005, 10:44 PM
NEEHAMA, he said he took a head shot at 600 yards, I shoot targets lots, competition, as many other people on this sight do. A well tuned target rifle will print in sub 1/4MOA, A well tuned hunting rifle will come in at .5 MOA, giving him a 3" group, off a solid rest, with everything in his favor, to do this in the field is bull*^&t, I don't care what his back ground is, its one thing to take 600 yard shots in the lungs where you have a 2-3 MOA room of error. Completly something else to do it with needing 1MOA or better. Anybody who takes head shots at 600 doesn't know much about shooting or hunting.

Kirby

mainland hunter
09-21-2005, 01:17 AM
he apologized and said lesson learned. anit that enough

Marc
09-21-2005, 07:44 AM
OK guys he apoligize he knows what he did wrong and says he wont do it again. This site is about learning and I think he's learned something so lets move on. No more negative comments needed I think the point has been made.

Marc/Admin

palmer
09-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Well it does sound like lots of game in 4-20 anyway!!!!on a positive note..