PDA

View Full Version : 5-13 or 7-11 moose

coquitlam
11-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I have just come back from a succesful deer hunt with my son. He got his first mulie and dad got skunked. It reminded me of years ago when I got my first buck . To see it through my son it was great.
When bringing the animal to the butchers , I saw my son eyeing the several moose hanging. He turned to me and said we need to go after swamp donkeys next year.
So here I am planning with him next years LEH draw. I have not hunted moose in about 12 years. I did hunt the finger lake area and shot a buck. Through our research we think we are down to 2 areas. Finger lake 7-11 and the fishpot/tzenzaicut lakes area 5-13. We want to hunt from a cabin and those 3 places have them . We are interested to get feed back regarding theese areas or if there may be a better place to go to and try for the LEH draw

Thanks for the help

P.S. He out shot me on opening day duck (doen`t get better than that)

jml11
11-09-2008, 04:13 PM
I imagine moose populations are fairly similar in those areas. In my mind it comes down to hunting opportunities. All Region 5 moose hunts require an LEH. Region 5 hunts are typically limited to two weeks only, which is fine as long you can plan ahead. A pro to this is that moose hunters are limited during each LEH period, and you won't be competing with as many hunters as you would in Region 7.

7-11 offers more oppurtunity as you can hunt here without an LEH as there is a spike-fork GOS all season and calf GOS in October. Therefore if not everyone in your hunting party has a draw they still have a decent opportunity to harvest a moose. Also if you have a shared hunt with your son (i.e. your 2 person group is drawn for only one tag), then if one of you comes across a two-point bull or a calf during that time you can harvest it and still have your LEH open for the other person. Because of the open season in region 7, particularly the calf season, hunter pressure is quite high and it can be hard to find an area all to you self.

A few pros and cons for ya...

00BuckMag
11-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Used to hunt that area a few years ago,the nice thing about the 5-13/7-11 area is just a drive down the mainline,if the sign is up on the tree telling you,you are in MU7-11 and going the other way MU5-13,we hunted the Kevin Lake area lots along with Meadow Lake.Around the mountainside via another mainline,Hopefully I'm right with the name Barton Lake M/L you come across the same with the division in MU's.There are lots of swamps to hunt and probably lots of slash now.It was my Dad's ole stomp'n grounds for those moose,did notice over the years how the deer did start coming back.Good Luck ,All I remember was there was always lots of Hunters but as they say,Early bird gets the worm,same as for hunting a spot,get there early,you have a better chance,mind you the last moose I shot was at 11:30 when all the pressure was of the area and they thought they were safe.Good Again for the LEH in 09