PDA

View Full Version : Trapper's cabin

Ken the Kanuck
09-19-2005, 10:19 PM
Got back from hunting last week, didn’t kill any thing except some grouse.

We were about a 100 miles west of Quesnel in the northern Chilcotin. Saw moose, deer, black bear, timber wolf, grizzly bear, beaver, owls and hawks. Either the gender was wrong or we didn’t have a tag. But if you decide whether or not your trip was a success on bringing meat home, then you would be better off spending your money at the butchers and staying home. We hunted hard, about 10 hours a day, but a lot of time was spent looking around and just enjoying being in the bush. We were a little early as the rut hadn’t started and there were too many leaves left on the trees, a little snow would of helped tracking too.

After getting home just after dark ( about 8:30 ) it was time to start the fire. We used my buddy’s truck and camper, he would go in and put dinner in the oven and make a couple of ryes. By then I had the fire going well and the wood set for the night. After a couple of ryes and cigars those dinners sure tasted good. We were about 4000 feet high and you could could see the northern lights dancing in the sky.

But as per normal I wander off topic. This year I ran across a old trapper’s cabin ( I have attached a link for some pictures ). There are several things which I think might be of interest, it is about 50 miles from the nearest settlement, although a ranch or farm maybe of been closer as we were in the mountains I don’t believe that it could of been closer than about 25 miles away. This meant that whoever was using this cabin had to transport in his supplies by packhorse in the summer and walk back in the winter. There is a old fry pan hanging on the wall and as you can see it is pretty light, as is the remnants of the old stove in the cabin, I guess when you had to pack a few months supplies in it was best to watch the weight. Another thing I found interesting was the size of the cabin, inside it probably measured 6 feet by 8 feet and was about 4 feet high on one side and 3 feet on the other side. In this space he had his stove and a bench and bed. I have to imagine he kept any thing else he didn’t want chewed by the animals. I also imagine that he had to skin out his furs inside. The very smallness of the cabin attests to the severity of the winters in this part of the world, temperatures of 50 or 60 below were not uncommon. Funny enough though he had a glass window on his door. Another thing I hadn’t seen was the smoke stack from the stove coming out of the ground, I wonder if this was because he piled dirt up against the back wall for insulation or some other reason. That wood stove burning in such a small space must of created alot of smoke, he had devised a venting system which may of worked well. In one of the pictures you can see that he had put 3 sections of stove pipe in between the cabin roof and the high point of the wall. I imagine that he had a rag stuff in the end inside the cabin and simply pulled them out trying to balance the irritation of the smoke with the irritation of the cold.

You have to give the old timers credit, they were a tough bunch. What do you think our liberals would say if we suggested that a able bodied man on welfare spend the winter in a cabin this size, in the mountains trapping. I believe that these trap lines were 10 or 12 miles long, all to be traveled each day on snow shoes carrying the carcasses of the animals you had trapped, a rifle, a axe and a little food.

Nope I tip my hat to the old timers, they were a much better breed of men than many today.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v114/kennethroy/

Ken

ruger#1
09-19-2005, 10:28 PM
hey ken that sounds like something i should of done twenty years ago, but i think we should send the liberals there.

Kirby
09-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Tough men back then. Would have a hard time convincing me to live in that during the summer, let alone the winter.

Kirby

Walksalot
09-20-2005, 05:28 AM
When I find an old cabin like this I always try to find the dump site as one can find old bottles and such.

Ken the Kanuck
09-20-2005, 06:35 AM
I know what you mean Walksalot, I do too. But I doubted that a trapper would of carried many bottles up there. The best thing to do would of been excavate the inside of the cabin, but somehow that just doesn't seem right.

It was funny to see so many empty cans close to the cabin, there were 4 or 5 outside the door and quite a few inside. Like you say normally these will be thrown in a gully or some where away from the cabin.

For those of you old enough to remember and spent your childhood in B.C. their was a big old can of Rodgers Golden Syrup among the cans. I'm sure you will remember all the crumbs, etc. floating around in the can :-)

Ken

sealevel
09-20-2005, 07:08 AM
I once found an old cabin up on the north end of willston lake it had dates carved on the door the last date was 1923 and he had been the for around 25 years it was a long time ago whan i saw so i can`t remember when the dates started.But he must have come a few hundreds of miles by canoe.

greybark
09-20-2005, 03:56 PM
:grin: Hey Ken The Canuck , Your cabin looks like it is an emergency shelter which is located at a critical location on a trap line . I bumped into one years ago and told by an older CO of its purpose.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Thunderstix
09-21-2005, 06:01 AM
The number one occupation for suicide is Trapping (per capita).

oldtimer
09-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Tstix. great trip and recollections. It is amazing the number of cabins we come across up here. I am not sure wether it reflects on the gold rush or what but your discovery is quite common for people that spend a lot of time in the bush around Quesnel. Mike

Walksalot
09-22-2005, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Ken the Kanuck]I know what you mean Walksalot, I do too. But I doubted that a trapper would of carried many bottles up there.

I think some of those old trappers might have partaken of a shot of whiskey now and then.:)

Gateholio
09-23-2005, 01:29 AM
There is an old trappers cabin here (it is now been relocated tot eh museum grounds) that is about 8 foot long by about 4 foot wide, and about 4 foot high.

It is only big enough to SURVIVE in, not to live in....

Those guyswere tough as nails.:o

Duckshoot
09-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Don't forget that one of the reasons these cabins are so small is that when you arrive there late at night in the cold and dark you can have it warm in a very short time with a few sticks of wood. Most trap lines have a series of these cabins for short stays and a larger main cabin some where on the line as a Base.