PDA

View Full Version : Deer at front door

In4TheHunt
11-09-2008, 09:40 AM
I was driving home (In Chilliwack) @ about 2 pm and about 200 yards from my front door, a doe jumps in front of my car. I slam on the brakes and stop. Just then a solid 2x2 buck follows, sees the car and jumps back 10 yards up hill and stops.....and stands there looking at me for about 2 minutes..them casualy walks across the road with another doe.
(aside 2x2 nothing to brag about, but its meat in freezer)
This is of course within city limits hence no shooting.

I have been out a few times and saw nothing but sign and the only legal shooting buck I see is at my front door...Does this happen often or it this the kingd of season I'm having?

Cheers

mrdoog
11-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Deer in rural areas can be quite frustrating, but perseverance is the key.

After driving 8 hours home from a skunked moose hunt, a deer rammed into the side of my car at the corner of Hwy 10 and Scott Rd in Delta.
Just gotta laugh at stuff sometimes.

In4TheHunt
11-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah laughing.. is the key...

Just then I decided I WILL go out one more time this season ans give it another go...All good things come to people who wait.

Or in my case go out again....and again....and again.

I took it as a sign.

husky30-06
11-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Years ago a group of us went out hunting and did not see a thing, not even a grouse. Upon returning to the city limits, Who, should be standing on the road, but the biggest buck I have ever seen in the living. He stood on the road like he owned it, walked to the fence, stood there thinking about it, jumped over and went and sat in the field with the does. This all took place within about 100 yrds. NOW, that was frustrating and I am sure that the many people drivng by seeing 8 guys at the fence with binos, staring, were laughing pretty hard at the irony. LOL

gameslayer
11-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Laughing is the Key, We had a terrible moose hunt this year (was better than working) in the any bull open season, did not see one bull between 3 of us. Driving home about 15 mins south of PG 2 bulls came running through a field and stopped at the Barbed wire fence on the side of the highway 40 feet from the truck :roll::lol: . We tried to make our buddy close his eyes so he did not ruin his perfect record of not seeing a thing, but he ruined his shut out :mrgreen:.

Thats Hunting

Wolfman
11-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I used to get that kind of thing all the time when I lived in Mary Lake, which is a community about 20mi outside of Whitehorse. Mulies are off limits up there, so naturally they were showing up, lounging and eating on my back lawn al the time ;-)

Sounds like you live in a cool neighborhood too by the way :smile:

Wolfman

wolverine
11-09-2008, 01:32 PM
I used to have a few of them that liked to keep me company while I was in the backyard splitting wood. Probably could have coaxed them into the freezer with a cookie. I'd be splitting wood and they would be no more than 20 feet away browsing on the plants in the garden. Didn't have a bow in those days or it might have been a different outcome but it was still kinda cool having them hang around the house especially the does and fawns. Kinda like realistic lawn ornaments.:p

thatskindafunny
11-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Left at 6;15 this morning to hunt the almighty blacktail in Black Creek just knowing this is going to be my lucky day, 30 seconds later and 100 yards from my house is a rather large buck with a doe on my neighbours lawn. My they are not shy at what they do in front of people when it's time.

spreerider
11-09-2008, 04:34 PM
every day at work i see a 4pt blacktail, gotta convince a coworker to bring his crossbow in for an afternoon.
we probably see 4-10 bucks a day everyday durning hunting season and late summer, it gets very frustrating as i havent seen a buck in the woods this year except for one tiny spike not worth the cost of a tag.