PDA

View Full Version : The Rut and The Moon

f350ps
11-08-2008, 09:19 PM
The last time I hunted during the rut it was a full moon and I swore I'd never do it again. Well, I lied but I ain't happy about it but it's the only chance I'll get. What's your take on huntin the rut at that time. I find that they go hard all night then disappear during daylight hours. Hope I'm wrong and that was a freak thing, but I don't think so. K

ThisIsLiving
11-08-2008, 11:15 PM
to be fully honest with you i have had no problem seeing animals when it is clear and a full moon the next day or the day after that.... weather it is the rut or not.... some people swear on it but i have had no issues taking deer the next day or moose after a clear night with a full moon

f350ps
11-09-2008, 05:57 PM
I've had the same results Moose hunting during a full moon. I have got them but only at first light, barely legal. I hope this year will be different!! K

aletheuo
11-09-2008, 07:21 PM
I love excerpts from google books - I should really buy this one...

http://books.google.ca/books?id=jSpVDREupPMC&pg=PA87&dq=whitetail+rut&ei=PpkXSdmTJILysQOR1_mWDw#PPA83,M1

It talks all about the rutting moon, etc... by my calculations from this book here in southern BC the whitey rut should be hot from Nov 13th (full moon) to 23rd. That's why I'm not getting too excited about my hunt tomorrow morning. I expect that the next two weekends will the best chance to get one of these sly guys. (edit - I just read that LOL ... I guess deer prefer to do their stupid stunts like running into 150 grains of lead on the weekends)