PDA

View Full Version : snorting mulies

husky30-06
11-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Over the past years I have come accross the odd buck that stays at the treeline just out of sight and snorts. Has anyone else come accross this and what has been your experience? How did you react to it and was it only the big ones or small ones?

308BAR
11-08-2008, 09:50 AM
I've experienced this a few weeks ago. It was in the timbers and I couldn't see where the snort or weezing was coming from. There were a bunch of does just looking at that direction.

CooperSscat
11-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Last year I came across 2 does and a fawn exiting the tree line into a stand of xmas trees with me right at edge. In the timber 30-50 yards away or so was a very excited snorty/weezy buck moving parallel to the 2 does and fawn as they vectored away from me along the edge of the block. I never saw him but I was amazed at how loud that he was. It was a very cool minute of my life. I would love more minutes like that!

Jeremy

Wild one
11-08-2008, 10:36 AM
When this happens try to call back to him a doe bleat or snort back at him some times it will make the buck step out of the bush. This has worked in the past for me and I find it works most of the time.

Huntinfool
11-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Generally means you're busted :p

husky30-06
11-08-2008, 02:20 PM
When this happens try to call back to him a doe bleat or snort back at him some times it will make the buck step out of the bush. This has worked in the past for me and I find it works most of the time.

I seemed to be able to mimic the snort and he only got louder. I heard him darting back and forth at the tree line and kicking the crap out of a few little trees. I never did see them but ya he was some upset. a bleat or a grunt tube you think might bring him out?

johnk
11-08-2008, 02:23 PM
It's a defense mechanism meant to alert the other deer in the area. Like Huntinfool sez, you're busted! Go hunt elsewhere.

I've had cow moose literally bark at me but usually when they have a calf in tow.

Wild one
11-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Give it a shot it is never 100% but it is better than just letting him run off but if he does not see you there is a chance it will work it has worked for me in the past.

husky30-06
11-08-2008, 02:26 PM
next time i will tip the hat and carry on. thanks

11-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Generally means you're busted :p

Agree, usually means he has winded you.

Wild one
11-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Husky I would give it another shot calling back as it HAS WORKED for me in the past and I think you are giving up a chance at a buck.As for being busted it may be but some times they do not know what you are and you can bring them out. I do know others I hunt with who have taken deer this way but it is up to you.

husky30-06
11-08-2008, 03:00 PM
thanks wild one, When that snorting starts it is kinda hard to just walk away. I will get a grunt call and give it a try. I personnally feel (or hope) that is actually a big buck just challenging me, like you say, not knowing exactly what I am. I guess one day I will find out.

Wild one
11-08-2008, 03:11 PM
The call that has worked best in this situation is a 'k'meer deer I have had better luck with it than I did grunting at them.

husky30-06
11-08-2008, 03:16 PM
The call that has worked best in this situation is a 'k'meer deer I have had better luck with it than I did grunting at them.

will wholesale sports have it?

Wild one
11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
It is in there catalog

husky30-06
11-08-2008, 04:16 PM
thanks!!!!!

happygilmore
11-08-2008, 07:10 PM
I think some guys are talking about a diferent scenario... one) a buck sees you or smells you and snorts or grunts and you hear the tell tale thump thump thump in a final heart sinking fu! maybe next time:x

two) Bucks get excited and riled up and will snort while beating up bushes showing how tough he is.-Good for you, just entice him to step out.;-)
I've never seen it but have heard stories of mulie bucks chasing a doe grunting the whole time, friend watched one grunting all the way across a cut block with his nose right in behind a doe. :cool:

could it have been two bucks staging for a fight? they do make a huge racket and I've seen where they've torn up the ground so bad it looked like a ford fighing with a chevy!

ElectricDyck
11-08-2008, 07:11 PM
I surprised 2 blacktail bucks last year hiking down a logging road. The older buck just stared, but the younger one was all worked up and snorted at me multiple times shaking his head. They both bounced off, but the younger one stopped after about 40 yards to snort and stomp a little more before dissapearing into the timber.

husky30-06
11-08-2008, 08:06 PM
I think some guys are talking about a diferent scenario... one) a buck sees you or smells you and snorts or grunts and you hear the tell tale thump thump thump in a final heart sinking fu! maybe next time:x

two) Bucks get excited and riled up and will snort while beating up bushes showing how tough he is.-Good for you, just entice him to step out.;-)
I've never seen it but have heard stories of mulie bucks chasing a doe grunting the whole time, friend watched one grunting all the way across a cut block with his nose right in behind a doe. :cool:

could it have been two bucks staging for a fight? they do make a huge racket and I've seen where they've torn up the ground so bad it looked like a ford fighing with a chevy!

I'm sure you would know if a Ford and Chev had it out, The ford would still be there,LOL!!

Wild one
11-08-2008, 10:44 PM
I have used this trick with success in september it has nothing to do with the rut.I have also had them turn around and come back a few times after hearing the snort and thump thump.I am not saying this works all the time but it has got a few bucks to step out where I want them.

husky30-06
11-08-2008, 10:48 PM
thanks again wild one, I just found the call in the cataloge and will go and pick one up.

Wild one
11-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Good luck I want to see the first buck you get using it.