PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 youth season for Mule deer

Farmer
11-07-2008, 10:56 PM
I am going to take my 13 year old daughter up to region 8 next weekend to take part in the youth season. I am thinking of going into the Ashnola area, but I am open to the Princeton area as well. We will only have 2 days so I am looking for ideas on places in the vicinity where we have a good chance of finding her a buck. Also what is the Whitetail situation in these areas? Is it worth having a whitetail tag? We once saw a whitetail doe high up on Crater mountain but that was many years ago.
Thanks
Gord

boxhitch
11-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Better to have and not use than to not have the right tag for the opportunity.
Would you shoot a Bobcat if you saw it ? Black bear ? Better get that tag too.
I have had a Sheep tag for ten years, and only spent less than 20 hours hunting for one for myself. But someday.........

aggiehunter
11-08-2008, 03:09 PM
go to princton , its really hot right now , the ruts on big time

Timber-hunt
11-08-2008, 04:24 PM
farmer make sure your daughter has her own hunter number I had to call the c/o to ask if my 12 year old son can hunt under a juior hunter license in the youth season the answer was no

aggiehunter
11-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I think he's wrong, but he has a gun. Check it out further. Good Luck to her.

sparkymacker
11-08-2008, 09:14 PM
farmer make sure your daughter has her own hunter number I had to call the c/o to ask if my 12 year old son can hunt under a juior hunter license in the youth season the answer was no

That is not correct, as long as he/she tags it on an adults license you are good to go.

Farmer
11-08-2008, 10:54 PM
She has a junior licence, but she recently obtained her Hunter #. I am hoping that she will be able to use my tag with her junior licence, but I will check into this further.
Next year she will have her own licence and tag but this year I have a tag that I would rather see her fill than me.

Boxhitch - I know what you mean with sheep. I was drawn 4 times over the years in 8-3 before I was successful.

Timber-hunt
11-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Sparkymacker - if that is true then I was mis lead by the c/o in Victoria they told me you can only hunt in a youth huning season if you have your own hunters number and if your under the age of 19 I called Art @604-466 7470 he couldn't find if so he referred me to Brent a C/O in the lower mainland .It does not stat in the BC reg's if a junior hunter can hunt in a youth season,and Art with the wild life branch made a note of it that he will make some changes to the reg's s so they will clarified it beter , I cant find it any were in the bc reg's thats why I called ,if I'm wrong plz let me know Thanks

sparkymacker
11-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Sparkymacker - if that is true then I was mis lead by the c/o in Victoria they told me you can only hunt in a youth huning season if you have your own hunters number and if your under the age of 19 I called Art @604-466 7470 he couldn't find if so he referred me to Brent a C/O in the lower mainland .It does not stat in the BC reg's if a junior hunter can hunt in a youth season,and Art with the wild life branch made a note of it that he will make some changes to the reg's s so they will clarified it beter , I cant find it any were in the bc reg's thats why I called ,if I'm wrong plz let me know Thanks

Well only a person 17 or younger can participate in the youth season to start with, that was changed this year. As far as I know there is no youth season on the coast so I don't think the CO's there might be up to speed. A junior hunter is not allowed to put in for LEH hunts, however the only criteria for youth hunts is the hunter be 17 or younger. I tried to confirm with the local CO's but good luck getting ahold of one. My youngest son shot a deer in the early youth season this year and I was checked by the CO's. I showed them I cancelled my tag and his junior license.

Timber-hunt
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
sorry for the miss info just got confirmed from Brent --c/o that a junior hunter can hunt in youth season just what every the junior bags, goes under the person license number and tag sorry about the and thanks sparkymacker the info I got from victoria was wrong

sparkymacker
11-10-2008, 05:13 PM
sorry for the miss info just got confirmed from Brent --c/o that a junior hunter can hunt in youth season just what every the junior bags, goes under the person license number and tag sorry about the and thanks sparkymacker the info I got from victoria was wrong

Hey no problem, you had me wondering! Never hurts to check these things to be 100% sure!

Farmer
11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I checked with our local CO last night also. A junior licence is enough as long as the accompanying hunter has a tag for the junior hunter to cancel.