PDA

View Full Version : Black bear hunting opportunity being given away

GoatGuy
11-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Better get on the phone, email, fax to Gordon Campbell and your MLA.

We're being sold out right now.

Please sticky

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/black_bears.jpg

GoatGuy
11-07-2008, 06:18 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/blackbear2.jpg

Steeleco
11-07-2008, 06:24 PM
On it NOW!! Thanks for the heads up.

I just looked on the BCWF web site and can't find the article to read over full size. Was this received by you as a fax?
Are they going to post it to the site soon?
THx

Good evening gentlemen. My name is David Steele. As an avid hunter and outdoors user, I would like to voice my concern over a letter I just read, published by the BC Wildlife federation.

In said letter there is mention of restricting access to hunting of black bears on the Queen Charlottes islands. Should the current guide outfitting tenure be sold to a special interest group, there is a great fear that they will restrict the hunting of Black bears to 4 animals per season. I would like to register my opposition to any special interest group buying Guiding territories and then restricting access to resident hunters. Should this action be allowed to proceed it will send a clear message to these groups that the whole province is for sale.

As your likely aware, hunting is a very emotional topic. People are easily duped into making donations to these special interest groups, with the use of carefully crafted yet inaccurate scientific facts.
A look into the history of the Ontario cancellation of the Spring bear hunt will only support my point.

I fully support the environment ministries efforts to increase hunter numbers in the province, a move in this direction will only impede those desires.

Respectfully
David Steele
Langley BC
Sent to Mr. Penner and Mr. Campbell

riflebuilder
11-07-2008, 07:18 PM
this is scary. Everyone on here needs to write a letter in opposition to this.

boxhitch
11-07-2008, 08:56 PM
"to a maximum of four bears per year based on a business transaction"

"This restriction is slated to come into effect if and when there is a successful purchase of the Guide Outfitting tenure on the QCI by an anti-bear hunting interest."
Sounds like the MOE has been swayed, and yet no trans action has occured ? No stakeholder discusion ?
This business transaction must be pretty sweet, politically. Can you say Buy-off?

11-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Since when can the owner of a Guide Outfitting Tenure dictate the number of animals harvested? This doesn't sound right.

GoatGuy
11-07-2008, 10:39 PM
This is all political.

MoE is not driving the bus on this one - it goes higher than that.

Google/ Youtube keywords: trophy bear hunting olmstead haida gwaii

I would imagine this will be on the bcwf site soon.

308BAR
11-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Just to make sure I'm reading this right.

Currently there are no limits to how many hunters/bears can hunt on QCI.
The Government has "made a deal" with someone/group to limit the number of hunters and bears that could be taken from QCI in the GOS.
Bag limits are no longer under the control of the Province for QCI.I'm a little slow, so how does this affect us as every day hunters outside of QCI or who don't travel to QCI to hunt. Is there anything else I should know is this a fight for territory? Is this a BC guide and outfitter push to have GOS hunters pushed out?

Thanks for your insight into this situation.
308BAR

Wolfman
11-08-2008, 12:16 AM
I know a guy in Haida Gwaii and he tells me the islands have a LOT of black bears on them. These special interest groups are a bunch of psychos.

I'll be sending off a letter too.

Wolfman

huntwriter
11-10-2008, 03:02 PM
Just came back from a hunting trip and read this. I should be surprised at such news but I am not. It seems Campbell seems to bent on selling our province and hunting heritage off bit by bit to foreigners and special interest groups.

I will get right to it and write a letter. Goat Guy if possible I also would like if I could get a copy of the original letter to pass it on to my Fish and Game Club so they can distribute among the members. The more people we can alert with this issue the better. Campbell and his cohorts need to drown in protest letters.

heliwrench
11-11-2008, 11:54 PM
Just sent to Penner:

Dear Sir,

Allowing any special interest group to buy influence and take away from the conservation values hunters like me embrace is setting a very disturbing precident in our great Province.

I will keep this brief in that Hunters and The BCWF are a large group and all have co-workers and families who vote, this "sell out" to a special interest group clearly showing a bias against the resident hunter will show up on election day.

Thanks for youe time,

11-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Just sent to Penner:

Dear Sir,

Allowing any special interest group to buy influence and take away from the conservation values hunters like me embrace is setting a very disturbing precident in our great Province.

I will keep this brief in that Hunters and The BCWF are a large group and all have co-workers and families who vote, this "sell out" to a special interest group clearly showing a bias against the resident hunter will show up on election day.

Thanks for youe time,

With all due respect guys, in my honest opinion this is exactly the wrong way to write to a politician, especially a Minister. Under Barry Penner's reign the MOE has stood strongly behind scientific management and BC resident hunters. I would think that congratulating him on doing a fine job so far and encouraging him to stick to his guns re scientific game management and not give in to pressure from lobby groups, would be far more effective and respectful way of going about it.

Gunner
11-13-2008, 11:01 AM
The "Special Interest Group" involved is the Haida;they want control over the wildlife on the QCI,and if they get it you will see all the other bands in the Province demanding the same thing.The Premier doesn't want the Olympics applecart upset with protests and such,so this initiative comes from his office.If this proposal goes through hunting rights for Residents on Crown Land will be history,so I suggest eveyone write,phone or Email the Premier and your MLA RIGHT NOW!!!! Gunner

TPK
11-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I just received this ..

There have been a number of queries about the BCWF message to members
(BCWF ALERT #181) regarding the eventual black bear hunt closure in the
Queen Charlottes.

Aside from the other parts of the deal that the provincial government is
making with the Haida regarding timber rights, etc., the local issue of
black bear hunting in the Queen Charlottes is as follows.

1. The Haida want to shut down the commercial guiding operation that is
owned by Outfitter Kevin Olmstead. They want all trophy hunting of bears
stopped in their territory and want to see Olmstead shut down. They would
be happy if the provincial government would just cancel his licence and
allocation and force him out.

2. The government can’t do this without generating a potential major
lawsuit from Olmstead for violating his licence agreements and his right to
earn his living. Olmstead has a major operation in the area, complete with
a large modern lodge and has valued it at over $3 million.

3. Therefore the only way for the Haida to get rid of the commercial
operation is to buy Olmstead out, whereupon they hold the outfitting
licence. Presumably, they would then shut the commercial bear hunting
operation down.

They are currently trying to raise the money to do just this.

The issue goes beyond the commercial hunting. The Haida apparently want to
stop residents from hunting black bear in their area as well and they want
the government to make that happen. They don’t feel residents use the meat
and are not open to residents coming over from the mainland as they feel
they are also trophy hunters. However the government can’t arbitrarily do
that until the outfitter is gone because they can’t kill the resident’s
opportunity while the outfitter is still in business. But once the
outfitter is gone they can simply change the numbers for residents and
close out the resident hunters as well.

This is apparently the deal that they have made with the Haida. Once the
outfitter is gone they will cut the resident’s allocation to 4 black bears,
which will enable them to say that they haven’t stopped the bear hunt in
its entirety, but in effect they have reduced it to next to nothing. All
this with no conservation concern and in contradiction to the ministry’s
Wildlife management principles and good science.

The Queen Charlottes may seem a long way away for many of us. But if the
government completes this giveaway to the Haida, where does it stop? When
will the next First Nations group decide that they want to close down moose
hunting or sheep hunting or you name the species.

In fact, it has been expressed that at this point, First Nation’s intent is
to close down all bear hunting along the west coast and eventually right
across the province. With the complicity of the provincial government they
could well succeed where the environmental groups and their 1996 referendum
to stop bear hunting failed.

The black bear issue is only the tip of the iceberg. What First Nations
spokespersons have been using as a talking point is that they really want
to take over complete management of the wildlife resource. With what we are
seeing in the current government negotiations with the Haida, this is not
an agenda that we can ignore.

This is the time to step up to the plate. The Premier’s office is willing
to sell out our rights in order to maintain political peace coming up to
the 2010 Olympics. If we sit on our hands now, we will see resident
hunting, at best, severely curtailed in the foreseeable future. At worst,
we will see the end of our hunting rights.

Every hunter and angler in British Columbia, whether a member of the BC
Wildlife Federation or not, needs to do, at the minimum, two things:

1. Contact your MLA, regardless of party affiliations. Phone,
write or at a bare minimum, at least e-mail. Tell your MLA that
selling out our rights in the name of the First Nations New
Relationship is simply not acceptable.
2. Contact the Premier’s office and make the same point. This
is even more important than contacting your individual MLA.

Remember, this initiative is coming out of the Premiers office. It is not
coming from the Ministry of Environment or any other Ministry, although
obviously the caucus is supporting the agenda of the Premier’s office.

Contact information for all MLA’s can be found at:
http://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/ (http://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/)

Send this on to all of the hunters on your list. Get your club active.

The future of hunting in B.C. is in your hands.

Mr. Dean
11-14-2008, 01:40 AM
I don't get it.

I can see the tribe buying out the G/O. That's simple economics. If the G/O is selling, I say let them buy it. It's not like they can refuse resi's from hunting there,,,, all they're buying is a licence to sell hunts.

I can't see HOW the provincials could make such drastic changes otherwise. Didn't Bill Bennet secure our rights to hunt and fish this province, and wouldn't the AP also protect this from happening???

Everyone and his dog knows that the QCI is INFESTED with bears. Would gov. declare it (the QCI) as a Spirit Bear Santuary? They'd hafta announce something pretty big to shut down a species hunt that they have been trying to get more resi's on board with (participating). No? AND because of this (actual drive to enlist more bear hunters), that in itself should demonstrate the lack of conservation concerns.

How in the hell would they 'spin' it without breaking laws.

I don't think we can compare the G-Bear shutdown to this. IIRC, that premier didn't get re-ellected.

boxhitch
11-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Mr Dean, I think the spin would be that this is a localizzed issue, to satisfy a particular conflict , an issue with this particular FN group. Oh, and possibly an extension of the whole Spirit Bear range.
And that they still support hunting elsewhere in the province, and other species in the QCI.
Forked tongue.
I don't think this is a slippery slope, it is a cliff. If one FN gets their way and develops control over a resource, its only time that other chime in for their piece. Other spots are already hot, a president has to be set.
If they want to buy the G/O and put up a car wash, so be it. Thats business. But for the Prov to restrict Resident BC hunters is absurd.

Mr. Dean
11-14-2008, 10:07 AM
....But for the Prov to restrict Resident BC hunters is absurd.

That's kinda my point.

In my mind, the idea is so far out there, I have a hard time swallowing the pill.

Smokepole
11-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Page 65 in the hunting synopsis;

"A Nisga'a Hunting Licence is not required for 2008 but may be implemented by 2009. call 1-866-633-0888."

It's been in there for a couple years now. I can only imagine what one of those would cost.
I've also heard rumours that it was the Taltan's who got all the rut closures put in place in northern region 6.

boxhitch
11-14-2008, 12:18 PM
I've also heard rumours that it was the Taltan's who got all the rut closures put in place in northern region 6.
Refering to the 400 m. roadway closures ? Wonder if the locals comply ?
Atlin area is another hotbed of FN politics..

Smokepole
11-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Refering to the 400 m. roadway closures ? Wonder if the locals comply ?

Yah the 400 m. closures. Can't shoot a moose within 400 m. of the road and can't take your quad more than 400 m. from the roads. Need a long winch cable for hunting up there. I can't comment on the locals up there as I've not seen anything myself, but I hear stories.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-14-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't think this is a slippery slope, it is a cliff.

Well said.

SSS

Ehv
12-08-2008, 04:16 PM
After copying & pasting & changing names in Steeleco's letter & sending to Campbell, Penner & Bennett, I received this reply from Courtney Magro per Bill Bennett.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email dated December 3rd. I am aware of the issue relating to black bear hunting on the Queen Charlotte Islands and have been working with my colleagues in government to find a solution that is fair to the Haida but which also honours our commitment to manage wildlife on scientific principles. As you may know, I am a Life member of the BC Wildlife Federation and a life-long hunter myself. These issues resonate with me. I am also very familiar with the black bear policies in Ontario, having lived there for many years and agree with your comments about how the urban-based populations of today's society tends to be uninformed about real wildlife management, how it works and how hunters do so much for conservation of wildlife.

As for your comments about the sale of the guide territory to the Haida, if there is a willing buyer and willing seller and the provisions of the relevant legislation are met, the sale will have to be approved. However, I agree with your concern that we do not want guide territories across British Columbia to be bought up by interests who (1) oppose hunting and (2) have no intention to use the territory for hunting. I have raised this issue myself internally and will continue to advocate for appropriate changes to existing legislation that requires significant performance by a holder of a guide territory.

Thank you again for your note.

Bill Bennett, MLA
East Kootenay

fowl language
12-08-2008, 08:30 PM
from the info i get from the bcwf.the haida gwaii are in bed with a strong american tourist group that want to send people up to see the bears. there is 3500 to 4000 bears on the islands which gives a 10% HARVEST AT MINIMUM.or better which has never been achieved. they know they cant close it to the residents so they have given them 4 bears in total as a harvest total by residents. if this flys its just a matter of time till the whole province will be run by the natives.hope you all like travelling to alberta or sask. to hunt.if they dont get much response on this issue thats were youll be hunting.....fowl

Ehv
12-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Got this reply from the premier's office so they must be reading the e-mails, may not be in vain.

"Thank you for your email regarding the black bear hunt on the Queen Charlotte Islands.

Issues relating to hunting and conservation are the responsibility of the Ministry of Environment. As such, your email has been shared with the Honourable Barry Penner, Minister, with a request that he provide you with a response that addresses your concerns on my behalf. You will be hearing from the Minister’s office in the coming weeks.

Again, thank you for writing. We appreciate the time that you have taken to make us aware of your views on this matter.

pc: Honourable Barry Penner"

Thor Rider 88
12-11-2008, 03:23 PM
i saw that clip of the bear getting shot on the news at the start of the season

GoatGuy
12-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Got this reply from the premier's office so they must be reading the e-mails, may not be in vain.

"Thank you for your email regarding the black bear hunt on the Queen Charlotte Islands.

Issues relating to hunting and conservation are the responsibility of the Ministry of Environment. As such, your email has been shared with the Honourable Barry Penner, Minister, with a request that he provide you with a response that addresses your concerns on my behalf. You will be hearing from the Minister’s office in the coming weeks.

Again, thank you for writing. We appreciate the time that you have taken to make us aware of your views on this matter.

pc: Honourable Barry Penner"

Nice to see you wrote -that's excellent.

Everyone should be aware the MoE had nothing to do with this.

sealevel
12-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Just got an email from our club secratary...(from mel arnold ) BCWF needs more letters on this ....

PGK
12-12-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd bet a good dollar Penner is right PO'ed about this. This surely isn't a science based decision. This is a political decision. Who's pulling the strings? Does it come right from Campbell's office?

GoatGuy
12-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Need more letters.

bridger
12-17-2008, 04:31 AM
the scary part of this is that the government is going to give into the special interest group as part of a land claim settlement and limit resident hunters to an annual allowable harvest of 4 black bears which apparently is the number that is normally taken by residents. if they acutally do this what does the future hold? Will other bands in the province ask for reduced moose elk etc harvest by resident hunters? I know that in region 7b the moe is under pressure to reduce moose hunting opportunites for non first nation hunters.

12-17-2008, 10:43 AM
the scary part of this is that the government is going to give into the special interest group as part of a land claim settlement and limit resident hunters to an annual allowable harvest of 4 black bears which apparently is the number that is normally taken by residents. if they acutally do this what does the future hold? Will other bands in the province ask for reduced moose elk etc harvest by resident hunters? I know that in region 7b the moe is under pressure to reduce moose hunting opportunites for non first nation hunters.

And don't forget guys that FN already killed the spike/fork moose hunt in region 5. We will be seeing more of this.

GoatGuy
12-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Here's a letter somebody wrote - feel free to use it as an example or copy it, I don't think the person will mind.
__________________________________________________ __________

Honorable Gordon Campbell,

I am writing in regards to the recent announcement of the deal brokered by the Province of British Columbia including the potential sale of a guide-outfitter tenure in the Queen Charlotte Islands, tied to it a limited resident harvest of 4 black bears.

There are serious, wide-reaching implications of such a deal which implicitly ignores my rights not only as a resident hunter but also a citizen of British Columbia.

It has been the Ministry of Environment’s mandate to manage based on science; in this instance that has been abandoned in favour of politics. There is no discussion about conservation or black bear management in any of the briefs that have been released to the media. The number of 4 bears is based on reported historical harvest; the historical harvest is based on a sample size which is so small the results can only be described as inaccurate. Again, the historical harvest has nothing to do with conservation or science based management.

Furthermore, what this deal illustrates is that wildlife in British Columbia is for sale. Tying resident allocation and harvest to a private business transaction alienates the North American Wildlife Conservation Model (NAWCM) and the very basic premise that wildlife is a public resource. The NAWCM also states that allocation of wildlife is by law not by market pressures, land ownership or special privilege and that the public gets a say in how wildlife resources are allocated. This deal removes ownership of wildlife from the public, no different than what happened in Europe where the environment and access to nature was effectively destroyed. When the people have no wildlife to value and foster there will be no wildlife left.

As a citizen of British Columbia I believe the construction and execution of this deal has not considered or acknowledged the citizens of British Columbia’s ability and right to access and use wildlife and habitat, even as non-consumptive users. This deal removes the publics ability to manage black bear for whatever purpose they wish to use it for. There was no public consultation or input from the public regarding this precedent setting deal. How is one ministry in the government to know what is best for the citizens or the other ministries when no one else was consulted?

It is incumbent upon the government to act in the best interests of its citizen and in this deal the citizens have not been considered, acknowledged or consulted.

Lastly, please do not pass this letter onto the Ministry of Environment and use the Ministry of Environment as a scape-goat. It is very clear that the MoE was not consulted or an integral part of this deal. This deal has been driven solely by politics. Management through science has been abandoned and the rights and future of the citizens of British Columbia have been negotiated away by one branch of the government that never consulted its citizens and has no expertise in wildlife management.

This has been a systematic failure of government to meet its commitment to represent its citizens and in my opinion is tantamount to larceny. As a hunter and citizen of British Columbia who had no input, and a firm believer in the North American Wildlife Conservation Model, none of this acceptable.

In conservation,

Cc: Hon. Bill Bennett
Hon. Michael De Jong
local MLA

Ehv
01-08-2009, 01:03 PM
This is the reply I just received from Penner's office:

Thank you for your email of December 3, 2008 regarding black bear hunting in the Queen Charlotte Islands. I apologize for the delay in responding.
I have noted your comments and concerns and recognize that hunting is an important element in the livelihood and lifestyle of many citizens in the province of British Columbia (BC).Discussions about the black bear hunt on Haida Gwaii have been going on for several years. A letter of understanding dated May 11, 2005 between the Council of the Haida Nation and the BC Government committed to review a number of issues. The Haida leadership has previously expressed their desire to end commercial and recreational bear hunting on Haida Gwaii.
Many of the initiatives referred to in the letter of understanding were completed between the two governments, which resulted in the signing of a Sustainable Land-Use Agreement signed in December 2007. The bear hunt, however, was not included in that agreement. Nonetheless, discussions between the Haida Nation and the province have continued and reflect the BC Government’s commitment to building a new relationship with Haida First Nations based on respect, recognition and reconciliation, while working to maintain hunting opportunities in BC.
The Haida Nation is in negotiations to acquire the guide outfitter area on Haida Gwaii and to effectively eliminate the commercial hunt for black bears on the islands. The BC Government has been able to negotiate an agreement with the Haida that they would accept a resident hunter harvest of four bears per license year. For the past two years, the resident hunter harvest on Haida Gwaii was zero.
This decision reflects the distinct circumstances found on Haida Gwaii and is consistent with the principles of "science-informed" wildlife management decisions.
Thank you for writing and expressing your views.

Sincerely,

“Original Signed By”
Barry Penner
Minister

GoatGuy
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Thank you for your email of December 16, 2008 addressed to the Honourable Gordon Campbell, Premier, regarding black bear hunting in the Queen Charlotte Islands. As this issue falls under the purview of the Ministry of Environment, the Premier has asked that I respond on his behalf. I apologize for the delay in responding.
I have noted your comments and concerns and recognize that hunting is an important element in the livelihood and lifestyle of many citizens in the province of British Columbia (BC).Discussions about the black bear hunt on Haida Gwaii have been going on for several years. A letter of understanding dated May 11, 2005 between the Council of the Haida Nation and the BC Government committed to review a number of issues. The Haida leadership has previously expressed their desire to end commercial and recreational bear hunting on Haida Gwaii.
Many of the initiatives referred to in the letter of understanding were completed between the two governments, which resulted in the signing of a Sustainable Land-Use Agreement signed in December 2007. The bear hunt, however, was not included in that agreement. Nonetheless, discussions between the Haida Nation and the province have continued and reflect the BC Government’s commitment to building a new relationship with Haida First Nations based on respect, recognition and reconciliation, while working to maintain hunting opportunities in BC.
The Haida Nation is in negotiations to acquire the guide outfitter area on Haida Gwaii and to effectively eliminate the commercial hunt for black bears on the islands. The BC Government has been able to negotiate an agreement with the Haida that they would accept a resident hunter harvest of four bears per license year. For the past two years, the resident hunter harvest on Haida Gwaii was zero.
This decision reflects the distinct circumstances found on Haida Gwaii and is consistent with the principles of "science-informed" wildlife management decisions.
Thank you for writing and expressing your views.

Sincerely,

“Original Signed By”
Barry Penner
Minister
pc: Honourable Gordon Campbell, Premier

GoatGuy
01-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Welcome to being the smallest and easiest group to alienate.

Mr. Dean
01-08-2009, 02:57 PM
So now what???

And I don't understand this comment:

For the past two years, the resident hunter harvest on Haida Gwaii was zero.

Is Mr. Penner saying that NO resi's have taken a Black Bear in the past two years? If so, I call bull$hit...

Onesock
01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Good question Mr Dean.

Skeena Hunter 1
01-08-2009, 03:16 PM
This is pretty much a done deal, the government has passed on any attempt to change the haida's mind on this to the Fed and Guides. If we want to argue this, we have to take it up with the Haida ourselves, government doesn't want to risk it's "new relationship".

"to building a new relationship with Haida First Nations based on respect, recognition and reconciliation, while working to maintain hunting opportunities in BC."

Basically means give them what they want on this issue and maybe we will still be able to do other things, like log and have tanker traffic off the coast. Sh**ty deal but better get used to it.

Chuck

Steeleco
01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
So now what???

And I don't understand this comment:

Is Mr. Penner saying that NO resi's have taken a Black Bear in the past two years? If so, I call bull$hit...
I wondered that too, but just which piece of all those pocks are they talking about?

325 wsm
01-16-2009, 09:03 AM
I have guided on the Charlottes for the last 5 years for bear and I have personally met local residents who have harvested bears in the last 2 years.

Mr. Dean
01-16-2009, 10:14 AM
I have guided on the Charlottes for the last 5 years for bear and I have personally met local residents who have harvested bears in the last 2 years.

I have known a couple killed there myself.

Steeleco. What's a "pock"???

GoatGuy
01-16-2009, 02:57 PM

send that to the minister pleaseeeeeeeeeee

Buck
01-16-2009, 05:45 PM
i sent my letter no reply yet

325 wsm
01-16-2009, 07:22 PM
I'll try to get a letter out this week to the minister with this info.

325 wsm
01-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Olmstead actually owns 2 concessions on the Charlottes. I am sure he would be willing to sell them individually. His lodge is located on the North Island. If someone or a group approached him to buy the southern area before the Haida do and refused to sell out to the Haida? Does anyone on here have any ideas on how to raise or finance @ 1 million dollars in order to protect our hunting rights?.....lets here your ideas.

Thor Rider 88
01-16-2009, 09:11 PM
lol good idea FLHTCUI

325 wsm
01-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Mr. Barry Penner and Gordon Campbell

I was just reviewing 2 letters sent out by you (Barry Penner) in regards to the Q.C.I. bear hunt as they were posted on the Hunting in B.C. forum website. In both of the letters you have stated that no bears were harvested by resident hunters on these islands in the last 2 years. You are either ill informed, stupid or a liar. I have guided on the Q.C.I. for the last 5 years and am aware of the happenings there. Also while there I have personally met local hunters who have harvested bears there in the last 2 years. Where do you get your statistical information from ?
As far as the resident quota being set at 4 bears per year being, and I quote, "science informed" wildlife management decisions, that is a bunch of bullshit. The actual amount that could be sustainably harvested is closer to 400 per year. I think your information is based around political science not wildlife management. Furthermore if this "deal" is negotiated it will be precedent setting and very detrimental to the hunting rights of all Canadians who are non-aboriginal. Also the circumstances on the Islands are not distinct as we have native populations across most of Canada. You are merely selling out the rights of hunters in exchange of what....oil, logging, no protesting at the Olympic's ?
This letter will be posted on the Hunting in B.C. forum website for all to see and I am asking everyone who reads it not to vote for you or your government unless you take the proper steps to support the hunting community. Maybe you could start by posting your apologies on the Hunting B.C. website and explaining to us how you plan to rectify this problem.

sincerely Mike Oleshak

e-mailed this morning

Will
01-17-2009, 11:05 AM
The Haida Nation is in negotiations to acquire the guide outfitter area on Haida Gwaii and to effectively eliminate the commercial hunt for black bears on the islands.
Yep sure they will end the hunting.........at least until they see how much the tags go for.......I'll bet in the hopefully never but distant future ALL guiding done in this province will be by 1st nations owned and operated outfitters IMO.

There's more to this then the Haida Nation simply wanting to end the "Bear hunting" in that area. :roll:

Riverjet
02-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Exactly Will.
Its not like they are only discussing the Caribou migrations when they have their first nations summits.
There is a definate secret agenda afoot. IMO.

mulerider
09-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Who the hell needs more than 4 bears in a year. Whats the big deal??

emerson
09-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Who the hell needs more than 4 bears in a year. Whats the big deal??
Four bears TOTAL for everyone.

Darwin
02-03-2010, 08:08 AM
I just joined this site and love it! This is bloody scary to think of what could happen. Any more info updates?

hannibal
02-16-2010, 08:45 PM
ANTi bear hunt story on Global TV Feb 16. Watch it and write all the appropriate letters. Some douche is using the Olympics as a forum to convince the uniformed public to support an end to the bear hunt. I wrote Global, MoE, Premier, and the offending goof with his photography tours.

richmondman
07-14-2010, 05:52 PM
I came back from Queen Sharlotts (Haida Gwai now) couple weeks ago and confirm that locals do not encourage bear hunting. It may be because of "sport" hunting when it is done for trophy and meat is not taken. I will try to figure it out in September.