PDA

View Full Version : wolf down what next?

11-07-2008, 11:33 AM
So I'm heading up to clinton next week with word of a few wolf in the area. Having never hunted wolf, I was just wondering what people do once the get one? skin and tan? full mount? any pictures? thanks guys.

JR.

bigwhiteys
11-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I would skin it out and then rug it. Good luck, I would love to get a nice wolf... or several.

Carl

Wolfman
11-07-2008, 12:00 PM
So I'm heading up to clinton next week with word of a few wolf in the area. Having never hunted wolf, I was just wondering what people do once the get one? skin and tan? full mount? any pictures? thanks guys.

JR.

Get a cape made and then walk around UBC campus with it - It'll be a big hit ;-)

Wolfman

11-07-2008, 12:01 PM
The taxidermist said it is very important to skin it as soon as possible. Otherwise the hairs become loose. Here is a picture of mine. It scored 17 9/16". I shot it with a .300 Win Mag and 180gr Ballistic Tip.

I was hunting for deer and elk and had set up a ground blind on a cut-line. I had watched some white tail does through the morning and lunch time. I also spotted a cranker of a Mulie buck across a ravine on private land. Someone shot that buck the next day, I heard at least 5 or 6 shots. IIRC it scored just under 180 (green).

Anyways, it was around 3:00pm and the sun had moved behind me when all of the sudden something poked its head out of the brush about 70 yards from me. My brain didn't register what it was at first. It's not often you see a wolf in the middle of the day (although this was in 2001 - and by then the wolf population had really started to grow). It started to trot across the cut-line. I held at the very front of his chest and squeezed the trigger. At the sound of the shot his back end dropped a little and he tucked his tail in. I thought shyte, I hit too far back! Did I somehow mis-judge the distance? Was he running faster than I thought?

I went down to where he ran into the bush. I was trying to wheel myself through the saplings but it was hard without my rifle hanging up. I left my rifle and slowly continued on.

I found a decent spray of blood on some saplings, and then a gouge where the animal's teeth must have hit and peeled the bark away on another sapling. As I carefully moved forward I saw him lying down, dead.

I hit it right behind the shoulder and it ran about 40 yards or so before expiring. I tried to hoist him up on my lap, but there was no way. I went to find my friend. When I saw him he had a big smile on his face because he had shot a nice 4x4 mulie, in addition to the 4x4 whitetail he shot a few days earlier. He was hunting about 500 yards from me and we didn't hear each other shoot. We must have shot at the exact same moment!

Anyways, here is a picture:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/1899/Wolf-1.jpg

308Lover
11-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Had a black wolf head mount--with the rest flat out, and backed with felt. Had hooks on the corners for wall hanging. Don't recommend walking on the fur. Ask for the teeth--taxidermists use false ones--also check the eyes used--good ones are not cheap. Now let's see you get a wolf!