PDA

View Full Version : Blue Creek Outfitting?

4570hunter
11-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy? Is Stan Walchuk honest?

any comments appreciated..........

Thanks in advance

boxhitch
11-07-2008, 12:15 AM
I.ve talked to Stan a couple of times. I have no reason to think he is anything but a regular guy.

Are you on a witch hunt ?

Gateholio
11-07-2008, 12:39 AM
We rented an outfit from Stan, and we had a good time. He provided the horses, gear and training, and we had a great trip. Only got one moose between the 4 of us, and I got skunked, but that was largely my fault as I couldn't make up my mind about the legality of a ram, and I blew it 2x on elk, due to lack of elk knowledge.:tongue:

The trip was not without a few setbacks, although rarely do things go perfectly. Hunting trips rarely play out like a well executed military maneuver, with perfect timing, perfect conditions and perfect game sightings!:tongue:

4570hunter
11-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Boxhitch, that's not a fair comment why would be on a witch hunt?

Stan owns it, so i ask that's all. I am doing what most people don't do

and that is to check, what other people have heard, seen, done etc.

Nothing more, nothing less.............

care to comment on that?

11-07-2008, 01:10 AM
The trip was not without a few setbacks, although rarely do things go perfectly.

And that's especially true when horses are involved...! One grouse flushing up under a horse can start a whole chain of unexpected and exiting events.

Gateholio
11-07-2008, 01:24 AM
And that's especially true when horses are involved...! One grouse flushing up under a horse can start a whole chain of unexpected and exiting events.

Or bear spray to the face of a packhorse:razz:

dogger
11-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Went on a caribou hunt with stan in sept. Got nice caribou. Horses were good. Had good trip.

Mtnhunter
11-07-2008, 10:42 AM
I've used Stans services twice and had a great time on both occasions! One trip for Caribou and an Elk hunt in Tuchodi. Stan is a great guy, a little disorganized but a great guy. Horses were good along with his gear!
I hope to use his services again in the near future!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-07-2008, 11:09 AM
You guys all read his book, Cordillera???

Ambitious journey....

SSS

11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
You guys all read his book, Cordillera???

Ambitious journey....

SSS

Yes, a very good book, a must read in my opinion.

BCrams
11-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Does Stan accompany you on the trail or does he just drop the horses / equipment off - provide training and then you're on your own?

Gateholio
11-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Does Stan accompany you on the trail or does he just drop the horses / equipment off - provide training and then you're on your own?

I am sure he would ride with you for a time to get things sorted out- Part of the training. If you are good to go on your own, you just take the horses.

He doesn't offer any sort of packer/guiding services, though. He made that very clear to us on the telephone and in person, a number of times.:-D

waistdeep
11-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Stan is top drawer in my books. Been to his classes for pack outfitters, rented his horses and had him spend some time with us in Kelowna. You will find no better, he is not a guide but a heck of great guy to hook you up with horses and knowledge for a trip. And yes hunting trips with horses can be different than expected, I went first week in Oct with two other fellows and it was an eye opener, but we had a great time and all worked out. Trust him, he won't let you down.

BiG Boar
11-07-2008, 05:15 PM
I ran into a bunch of his rentals way up north. The guy who used the horses had used him a number of times and swears by his services. I would definitley consider giving his services a try. Put the guys also into a good area and they got some animals.

David Heitsman
11-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Is Blue Creek licensed to operate in the Park? As far as I know there are only two legal transporters on the Tuchodi. Riverjet and Liard Air.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Since all you're doing is renting horses....this may be a "step around" the packer rules. No different than renting a jetboat....an ATV ...or whatever.

Where does Steamboat fit in?? Are they outside the MK area??

SSS

boxhitch
11-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Where does Steamboat fit in?? Are they outside the MK area??

Jeff operates in 7-50 and 7-54, inside the MK.
But the MK is not a park.

boxhitch
11-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Transporters must fall under a differnet definition. Tetsa River Outfitters and Steamboat Mountain Outfitters work in that northern area, supplying camps and horses. The fact they ride along mus tbe only to babysit the horses ;)

Gateholio
11-07-2008, 09:39 PM
My understanding is this:

Transporters/Packers can pack you in, set up camp, cook for you, drop you off somewhere so you an go hunt on your own while they take the horses, load/unload horses, and tuck you in at night, as long as they don't "guide" you to game. I think that includes saying "Hey,t here is a nice moose over there!":shock:

Stan doesn't do any of that, other than show you by instruction. In fact, I don't think he even loaded one of our panniers during demonstration, we woudl load our own, and he would say "put the rope that way" etc.:smile:

4570hunter
11-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Sounds interesting! but disorganized that's not what I like to hear.

Are there any others that have a service like Blue Creek Outfitting?

Please share information I would like to make an informed choice.

Thank you

Mtnhunter
11-08-2008, 09:15 AM
When I say disorganized I meant extra time fiddling around getting ready before we hit the trail!
Stans horses were great and all the gear worked well! I don't know of anyone else that lets you take there horses and off you go!
The more horse/packing knowledge you have the better off you'll be!
It was a great experience!!!

waistdeep
11-08-2008, 10:32 AM
I think a misunderstanding is being portrayed here, disorganized is more of a difference of state of mind. Horsemen do not run at the same pace as office men such as myself. I love to leave the desk and spend time in the wilderness but Stan lives the wilderness, his time line is not mine and the way he sorts things out is not my way. But, when I slow down to his methods, I find that the change from my world to his is much calmer and mellower. Working with horses is not for those who want to make things happen, you work slowly and gently - do that for life time and yep - he is who he is.

David Heitsman
11-09-2008, 10:43 PM
4570 Hunter:

Call Larry @ Tuchodi River Outfitters for an organized almost military precision operation. They have taken a few Blue Creek clients who
really wanted to get an animal and not have to deal with horses.

I was the third BC resident sheep hunter, (the one before me was a previous Blue Creek client) in with them this year and have rebooked for 2010. That will also be my third time in with them.

Fantastic hunting once you get away from the jets and highly skilled crew.

Gateholio
11-09-2008, 11:24 PM
4570 Hunter:

Call Larry @ Tuchodi River Outfitters for an organized almost military precision operation. They have taken a few Blue Creek clients who
really wanted to get an animal and not have to deal with horses.

I was the third BC resident sheep hunter, (the one before me was a previous Blue Creek client) in with them this year and have rebooked for 2010. That will also be my third time in with them.

Fantastic hunting once you get away from the jets and highly skilled crew.

Arent' they a 'regular" outfitter? I expect that would be much more expensive than renting horses...How much was thier fee?:eek:

Springer
11-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Hey even i have met Stan.and yes i have read his book the Cordillera!
What a crazy ride he went on through the rugged North of BC. Lasted a couple months I believe. His partners abandoned him but he finished on his own.

He also has a very impressive Stone Sheep done in a full mount in his House.
He puts on packing courses or something that i think would be a great trip and you would learn a ton from him.

boonerbuck
11-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Or bear spray to the face of a packhorse:razz:

Yeah, that was pretty funny once we were sure everyone was alright and later found out why we had a rodeo in the thick woods....

boonerbuck
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Just to clear something up for the people who assume he is like any other packer/outfitter business....he's not.

He is a rental outfit only.

He cannot touch your gear, he cannot tell you where to go, he cannot help you transport your game, he cannot do anything besides instruct you on how to run his horses, supply you with all the necessary camp gear (he has everything you will need for a basic camp), and supply you with maps of trails and country *you choose* to head into. He will meet you at the trail head. You are on your own after that and he has faith you will bring back his animals alive. We took 21 horses in on our trip and split up into groups later.

HE OFFERS EQUIPPED DO IT YOURSELF TRIPS

I'v kept in touch with Stan over the years. Gatehouse and I went on a trip up Richards creek using his outfit and it was a bit crazy but a good trip overall. Stan was hunting the same country as us filming for a sheep bowhunting dvd he had been working on so we got to spend a litte time with him out in the bush. Unfortunately he lost his HD Cam and was rather upset and didnt get much hunting in. That's too bad. Stan for years held the Pope and Younge #1 Stone Sheep. I think it was beat in the last 2 years though.

Stan makes little money doing this. It's a way of life for him tha's all. His book was mentioned above....a good read. You will understand the man once you read his book. That kind of determination is one in a million....:evil:

If you are looking for someone to transport you and put you into their spot and come and pick you up then Bluecreek Outfitters is not what you are looking for. Stan offers access into the north east part of BC for a third of the cost of what some of the packers and outfitters are offering so if you think you have what it takes to do it yourself then I recomend you try his outfit out.

waistdeep
11-11-2008, 09:45 PM
yep, that sums it up:wink: