PDA

View Full Version : Moose dont exist!

JoelF
11-05-2008, 11:03 PM
We just came back from 5 days in 3-31a. That is the Jesmond Road and Big Bar area. We hunted the tar out of the area, hiked to the highest mountains and searched the lowest marsh valleys. Hiked for hours, and 4x4'd deep into the bush. The only sign of Moose was OLD CRAP. We could find no new signs, not even deer droppings! We find out that that area is a Provincial Grazing Area. They had the frickin cows all over the mountains. Not just in the lowlands, but up at about 5000' in the deepest woods there would be cowpies everywhere. Talked to alot of locals (some very nice people live there..) they have not seen moose there since spring. Also talked to some real nice local hunters that had hunted there for decades. They had a draw for moose too and could not believe the lack of sign and animals up there this year. I figure that the stupid cows pushed all those tasty moose off the mountains as they were probably all fighting for the same ground. We did get grouse though...yaaaaa! Oh and DO NOT drive down the High Road into the Big Bar Ferry road. 23.5% slope and a stinkin goat trail. Not fun at 3am and then having to turn around and go up it. Freaky stuff....darn wrong turn off.

huntwriter
11-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Yep cows will do that. Had a nice area here, very secluded and full of deer. Then just before the hunting season opened they let the cattle in and I have not seen any fresh deer sign in that area since.

11-06-2008, 12:18 AM
We just came back from 5 days in 3-31a. That is the Jesmond Road and Big Bar area. We hunted the tar out of the area, hiked to the highest mountains and searched the lowest marsh valleys. Hiked for hours, and 4x4'd deep into the bush. The only sign of Moose was OLD CRAP. We could find no new signs, not even deer droppings! We find out that that area is a Provincial Grazing Area. They had the frickin cows all over the mountains. Not just in the lowlands, but up at about 5000' in the deepest woods there would be cowpies everywhere. Talked to alot of locals (some very nice people live there..) they have not seen moose there since spring. Also talked to some real nice local hunters that had hunted there for decades. They had a draw for moose too and could not believe the lack of sign and animals up there this year. I figure that the stupid cows pushed all those tasty moose off the mountains as they were probably all fighting for the same ground. We did get grouse though...yaaaaa! Oh and DO NOT drive down the High Road into the Big Bar Ferry road. 23.5% slope and a stinkin goat trail. Not fun at 3am and then having to turn around and go up it. Freaky stuff....darn wrong turn off.

Been over that road several times, pretty cool scenery when one breaks over the top into the Fraser. Why did you turn around, why not go through the Indian Reserve to Big Bar?

doubled
11-06-2008, 06:53 AM
I hate free range. Damn cows will ruin it every time.

Crazy_Farmer
11-06-2008, 07:17 AM
We're were at the same location the weekend after thanksgiving with a any bull moose draw aswell. Same thing saw lots of old moose poop, quite a few does and lots of range cows.

I took a picture of that sloped road sign. We drove that way from clinton and turned around and went around. Also very nice view of the fraser just one or two bends before that. Did see some tracks on the road though but good luck retrieving anything on that hillside.

Moose72
07-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Moose only tend to winter down that way. You have to head towards the north border of the region. Grew up there.

Paulyman
07-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Perhaps this photo will bring back some memories for you then! :)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Paulyman_ca/DSCN1958.jpg

BlacktailStalker
07-29-2009, 07:30 PM
That road isnt that bad. Went down it in march with 6" of snow on it.

ohotnik
07-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Was there several times in winter time ice fishing and also was surpised by lack of game - not a single moose or deer sighting during 5-7 trips there...

ohno
07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Nice country alright.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/BigBar3.jpg