PDA

View Full Version : gawd damn does - question?

WoodOx
11-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Someone with more knowledge please humor me in this possibly naive question:

Why would 12+ does by grouped up right now?

No buck around - they moved several km over several hours...

No young bucks...

More adult than adolescent does...

I think all the bucks are dead :roll:

I did find yet another poached barely 3pt mooose today?:???:

Islandeer
11-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Stay with them ... you will be happy with what is soon to happen.:roll:

DeerWhisperer
11-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Keep your head down low your toungue out and stick with those does. Something is bound to happen.:roll: Unless all the bucks are dead

elkdom
11-05-2008, 08:23 PM
If there are 12 does,there is more than 1 buck lurking around, Guaranteed!! you maybe dont see him/them but THEY are nearby! many times the bucks tend to be extra cautious, keeping just off out of sight,and if there was immy bucks around they may have been rousted away by the MASTER ,where they are going is probably a better feading area, rutting areas are often used year after year!!
November + 12 doe deer = BUCKS !!

BCrams
11-05-2008, 08:25 PM
12 does all alone = big buck to me.

Sitkaspruce
11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
We used to hunt an area in Princton that would hold between 15-20 mature does over about 1/2 km2, never once did we see a buck, not even a small one. No rubs, no sign of a buck around, except huge tracks every once and a while. We nick named the area the "Ugly Doe Gene Pool":biggrin::grin:. In the 5 years we hunted there, we would always see the does, but never saw one buck there. I know he/they were there, but he/they were nocturnal as hell. We used to always laugh when ever one of us said we were going to cruise the ugly ones. I always wondered if anybody ever got a buck out of that area.

Stick with the ladies, the bucks will show up. Just have to be there at the right time and right place.

Sucks about the moose.

Cheers

SS

elkdom
11-05-2008, 08:31 PM
12 does all alone = big buck to me.

yeh!! You notice he did not disclose the exact pin point location of the
12 does !!! maybe someone could keep an eye on the 12 does, and help out ,
hmmmmmmmmmmm,,,

browningboy
11-05-2008, 08:33 PM
You don't think that twelve girls at the club would be unattended? I'm sure the buck is around, just resting up for round two.

johnk
11-05-2008, 08:34 PM

No young bucks...

Maybe they were lesbians!

quadrakid
11-05-2008, 08:35 PM
patience grasshopper.when you can follow the does and not rip the rice paper the buck shall be yours.

hannibal
11-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Tell me where these does are and I'll double check for ya.

browningboy
11-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Tell me where these does are and I'll double check for ya.

In the farmers field on the side of the highway!

todbartell
11-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I seen six mulies this morning, 4 does and 2 fawns all in one bunch feeding in front of me for half an hour at daybreak. No bucks in tow..not this morning at least :)

Jagermeister
11-05-2008, 10:39 PM
The buck has came and went, the does are just comapring notes.

BCrams
11-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Put it this way .... if there are groups of 12 does.

Group 1 alone with no bucks around.

Group 2 have a bunch of young bucks and maybe a small 4 pt hanging around ...

I'll be watching group 1.

dana
11-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Or.... you are too late and all them does are already bred and the buck is several kms away chasing other does. When does are bred they will seperate themselves from the bucks and form large doe herds. Remember, according to The Jelly Donut, the big boys are pretty much done by now. At least that is his this year's response. ;)

Dragginbait
11-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Maybe the 13th one(the fat one) went home with "Bucky' and he will be back when he sobers up. He's playing wingman for his buddys.

shoot to kill
11-05-2008, 11:00 PM
depends where he is, but i havent seen much in the way of rut activity yet....so i dont think hes too late keep watching them for the next week or 2 it will pay off

WoodOx
11-05-2008, 11:34 PM
ill keep an eye on them.

was thinking about heading lower then them actually. theyre on top in the snownext to some old cuts, but not visible to road hunters.

lower down is open old growth fur ridges.

and yes, pity on the wasted moose.

I figued as you all did and kicked my ass for 4 hours to follow them without spooking but needless to say, no buck today...

hunter1947
11-06-2008, 05:31 AM
I guess your talking about mule does ???.
You get this kind of thing with mule does till the big bucks start getting into the rut ,then the big bucks start looking for the does and will find this bunch of does and then stay with them to breed them.

This year in the EK I saw about 5 different bunches of mule does all together ,there where about 15 in one of the bunches and the other bunches about 8 to 10.

Sometimes you will see spikes or small 2x2 with these does earlier in the year ,this bunch did not have any smaller bucks with them but soon there will be a big boy with them you can bet on that ,keep tabs on this group of does..

GoatGuy
11-06-2008, 09:05 PM

No young bucks...

Probably nothing 'hot' in the group right now. Keep on checking on them.

The does often stay together as a family group. We've got one group we check on everyday at this time of year; as soon as one of them gets hot the bucks show up. We had a hot doe a couple years ago and shot a buck in the morning, went back that night and shot another buck that evening. Feel sorry for the doe!

Caveman
11-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Andrew, I watched a group of 25+ does a week ago, not a buck that I could see among them. Last weekend in the same spot, I saw 16 does and two bucks. One was in the 160 class and one I'm sure will be bigger, but didn't get a real good look at him. Not all hot and bothered but interested in staying with the does. Hang in there buddy, they'll show..

WoodOx
11-06-2008, 09:54 PM
cool guys thanks - ill check around tomorrow and see if theyre still in the general vicinity. maybe a buck joined up in the last few days...

im trying to take my first bow buck this year, but refuse to kill anything smaller than my largest, so its a bit of a challenge!

mark
11-06-2008, 10:11 PM
This morning i saw 44 deer all together in a field in a no hunting area. I watched them for 10 minutes, only a small 3 point buck, absolutely no rut activity at all, he simply was eating grass like all the others. Not to promising for the weekend!

WoodOx
11-06-2008, 10:12 PM
hopfully the snow gets them moving a bit too eat.

whatre you concentrating on mark, reg 8 mulie before close?

GoatGuy
11-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Haywire called 4 does and 3 bucks in tonight. Said they were poking and sniffing.

Caveman
11-06-2008, 10:17 PM
There is a farmers field close by ,No Hunting, I've seen upwards of 50 deer in there at one time this fall, several buck just hanging out bedded alone from the does but, they're in a group. 4 points, 3's 2's etc.

WoodOx
11-06-2008, 10:19 PM
called them in? whites?

rattled, or grunted? still never had that work for me hah

mark
11-06-2008, 10:24 PM
hopfully the snow gets them moving a bit too eat.

whatre you concentrating on mark, reg 8 mulie before close?

Saw the 44 deer by goudie rd. but I pound the westside in the last couple days of season!