PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Sleeping Bags (ATTN SHEEP HUNTERS)

RMK
11-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I know the season is gone and over till next year for stones but I cant stop thinkin about it. My question is I got a sleeping bag its just an old bag and I need to upgrade. I generally go late fall to chase my sheep dreams and I want a cotton lined bag and a rectangled shape I was thinkin something for about -20. Just looking for some experienced advice or thoughts. Rectangle,-20,cotton lined, bad choice???? good choice???? I am a bigger guy so i dont much enjoy the mummy style but if it keep me warm and its lite I will think about converting so PLEASE let me know....:?

Tarp Man
11-05-2008, 08:12 PM
GoreTex Shell on a Down bag. If you are backpacking it, you are not going to want the extra pounds a cotton liner adds. If you are often in crappy wet weather, the GoreTex will keep the down dry. If you are really concerned with the moisture issue, most new synthetics such as Polarguard Delta are almost the same weight as down, but not quite as compressible. If you want to avoid the constriction of mummy bags, look to Sierra Designs for their flexible / stretchable bags. Also you can consider Western Mountaineering bags or Feathered Friends. They can custom make bags.

If you don't like the nylon feel on your skin, wear fleece or light pyjama bottoms. Or my personal favorite sleeping bag clothing, hospital scrubs! They are super light and breathable. You get them from any medical supply or Wal Mart or Marks Work Wearhouse.

RMK
11-05-2008, 08:27 PM
gortex shell?? like a bivy sack??

mudbud
11-05-2008, 08:31 PM
I would look @ Western Mountaineering, the best of the best and very light. Mine is 2lbs 1oz, very warm (almost too warm for early season) I wear light long underwear to avoid the sticky feeling.

joed4040
11-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Whatever you do dont use your dads gortex shell and sleeping bag. It wont work. Didnt get him a sheep so wont work for you...:roll:

BCRiverBoater
11-05-2008, 10:24 PM
I have a bag from Taiga in Vancouver and love it. Know a lot of people around FSJ that use them. Very warm and very water resistant to almost water proof.

harbinger
11-05-2008, 10:29 PM
You can also get a nice bag liner to sleep in that would feel as "comfy":oops: as cotton but wick away moisture. They tend to roll around inside your bag when your sleeping, can be annoying, but they add that little extra dry warmth you need with whatever sleeping bag you choose.
My experience with the outer gore tex bags is that alot of moisture builds up on your bag inside the gore-tex one.
If you go with a premium synthetic down bag and a liner bag, you can almost dry your pants inside your bag. Provided your sleeping in a tent you will be set. Personally, I think its way better to go commando in your bag than sleep with your cloths on. Whatever you do don't cheap out, spend it up for a primo sleeping setup for all your future backpack hunting trips!!

twoSevenO
11-05-2008, 10:41 PM
i dont hunt sheep, but do a bit of backpacking (think of it as very similar but without the hassle of packing out a sheep :D lol j/k)

anyways ... i would strongly suggest not to get such a sleeping bag for the following reasons:

1) cotton is your worst enemy when wet (including body vapour kind of wet). It does not insulate, it takes forever to dry and becomes uncomfortable to be in. As suggested, rather wear a light pair of cotton pijamas (sp?)

2) -20 rectangular bag will weigh way more then a mummy.

3) I don't know any rectangular bags in -20 that are down, so it will probably not be very packable either.

The best solution in your case is a waterproof down bag. Those are few and far in between and cost lots of money. One example would be a Mountain Hardware Spectre SL. It comes with a $600 price tag. I own the bag and love it, but price is a deal killer for most.

The other solution is a regular down bag, but with a waterproof cover, also known as a bivy sack. This goes over the bag and keeps it dry. (Preferably the bivy will be made out of breathable material, otherwise you'll get so much condensation on the outer walls of the bivy that you might as well keep your bag out in the open)

P.S. I used to work in retail selling outdoor gear and personally, i think those rectangular bags are pieces of ****!. You are out on a hunt in the middle of no where, so what if you can't sleep spread-eagle like you do at home, deal with it. People used to buy those bags on a regular basis and i could never figure out why. The weight of that bag alone is probably more then half of my fully stocked backpack! Not to mention it rolls up into a keg-sized bundle!

Timberjack
11-17-2008, 09:14 PM
My thoughts:

Goretex is a great idea, but if you are using a tent or a bivy you are just doubling up on weight and cost.

I am not a big fan of 100% down bags. Firstly, once it is damp it will not keep you very warm. And I'm just talking sweat/dampness from sleeping at night. If it gets wet, it's useless. Down is slightly lighter and more compressible than sythetic bags, but I would take the extra few ounces in a second to have assured warmth in case it gets damp or wet.

Cotton is an absolute no-no. don't even think about going there.

See if you can convert yourself to a mummy bag as the weight and space reductions will be appreciated, plus they are much warmer due to lack of air-space in the bag.

SO, my recommendation is a Hybrid bag from MEC. combination of synthetic materials and down, so you get the best of both worlds. I've been very happy with mine over the past few years.

Do your research and get as many opinions as you can, as you will get all sorts of opinions,some good and some bad. I'm sure there are lots of other good options on the market.

One last recommendation: Get yourself a Big Agnes insulated sleeping pad. They are warm, 1/4 the size (+weight) of a thermarest (packed size), and 2-3 times thicker and more comfortable. Fantastic product. And I say this after more than 2 decades sleeping on a thermarest...

Cheers,
TJ

Timberjack
11-17-2008, 09:21 PM
You can also get a nice bag liner to sleep in that would feel as "comfy":oops: as cotton but wick away moisture. They tend to roll around inside your bag when your sleeping, can be annoying, but they add that little extra dry warmth you need with whatever sleeping bag you choose.
My experience with the outer gore tex bags is that alot of moisture builds up on your bag inside the gore-tex one.
If you go with a premium synthetic down bag and a liner bag, you can almost dry your pants inside your bag. Provided your sleeping in a tent you will be set. Personally, I think its way better to go commando in your bag than sleep with your cloths on. Whatever you do don't cheap out, spend it up for a primo sleeping setup for all your future backpack hunting trips!!

Three questions/comments:

What is synthetic down??? It's either synthetic OR Down or a combination. what do you mean?

I would agree that extra moisture will build up inside a gore-tex bag, though I don't have any 1st hand experience.

I wear underarmour tights in my sleeping bag when it's cold out and they are fantastic - get rid of all sweat/moisture, and very comf...

TJ

ThinAir
11-17-2008, 10:20 PM
I'd go with down- get a good bag $400 bucks and up should do it..pertex coating and your good to go.
A good bag could save your life one day.
There is no room for cotton in the high country;)

BCbillies
11-17-2008, 10:53 PM
I did some research this year and ended up with a -11 down bag from Integral Designs with the Pertex Endurance shell. The bag is in between a mummy and a barrel bag and provides ample room and weighs 2.5 lbs. I am using a silk liner and the wet and sweat isn't an issue with this setup. I live and hunt in some of the wettest crappiest weather BC has to offer and I have no regrets about spending the $600. I sleep pretty much in the buck and am plenty warm. :smile: Once you've tried down you won't want anything else!

one-shot-wonder
11-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Go with down it is the best for warmth and compression. I have -20 rated mummy bag from Sierra Design that packs up to a size of a loaf of bread.

BEARSLAYER
11-25-2008, 08:32 PM
To my way of thiking only one company comes to mind TIAGA. I do not work for the company so I can say what I want. Our family has camped in temps to -40 and I took care of a camp when even my landcruiser only moved after it had two coleman stoves under the trany and transfer case for one hour. One thing we never worried about was staying warm. Also you might want consider the poler booties, they are great on cold nights in a tent or cabin.

Riverratz
03-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Wife and I have used "Taiga" semi-mummy style for past 20 yrs., a half way style between rectangular and full mummy. Still using them today.
Gortex exterior, synthetic interior liner, goose down fill, rated to -30 C with no shelter. Wt. about 3lb. each. Easy to stuff into compression bag. Taiga recommend that you buy a bag rated colder than what you expect to endure. Their rationale is that it is easier to hang out a leg or an arm to cool off than it is to try and warm up if you're too cold. We used that advice and swear by it today. Order direct from TAIGA Works in Vanc. TAIGA will custom build a bag for you, just give them the measurements they require, the temp range you want, ext. & int. materials, and they will price it out for you.
Expensive-yes, worth every nickel and you won't regret the purchase or the price, especially when you buddies are freezing and wet 'cause they weren't willing to lay down the $$ in the first place, and you're warm, dry and toasty. All things considered, the price difference to move up to a Taiga bag is really not that much of a consideration, especially when you have it custom made just for you.
As for interior dampness from body moisture, we haven't had that problem, but then we always unzip them and leave them open during the day to air out. No we haven't slept out in -30C, but we have in -10C and they were great.