PDA

View Full Version : Horsefly,place to hunt

sneg
11-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi all,

Going to try my luck in McLeese/ Horsefly /Likely area coming long weekend.
I have hunted Beegby Rd/Beaver valley last year this time, did not connect. Have not seen much of deer activity at higher elevation, but lot of snow, almost wrecked my truck. Scouted low elevations, lot of deer signs , but even more hunters. Would like to try some other places. Not sure yet, Tyee/Big lake or toward Moffat FSR ??. It happened that my hunting buddy can not come due to family reasons. So , just me. Riding quad and than walking in the bush. What can be better ? I m looking for advise how is the situation this year ? Is there any snow , how is deer movement ? Guess should be in mid of rut. Driving long way from LM and probably will spend quite some time scouting. Would appreciate any advise on specific area or places to concentrate. Many thanks and good luck to all.
Cheers
Sneg
:smile:

srupp
11-05-2008, 04:40 PM
hmmmm still decent deer around BIG LAKE and of course Horsefly ..lemon lake top of HORSEFLY MTN..

Steven

sneg
11-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Hi Steven,
Thanks for info.Seems nice weather you guys have up there,some snow and wind.Anybody been around Big lake recently ? Just wonder how is deer traffic ?Another thing -is there any motel in Horsefly or Miocene ?

DeerWhisperer
11-05-2008, 07:51 PM
There is absolutely no deer in Horsefly or big lake or anywhere up and around there......:tongue: I wouldnt waste your time:wink:

sneg
11-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Hey DeerWhisperer where did deer go to ?

srupp
11-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Horsefly Harpers camp.."hotel"???

Steven

sneg
11-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks Steven. I'll check "hotel".I m kind of undecided which area to go Horsefly mnt - Big lake - Knife/Maze.Any suggestions ?

BCrams
11-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Deerwhisperer is throwing you a spin .... there are deer in Horsefly area and yes - an opportunity for a big one too.

sneg
11-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks BCRams. some people mess with karma.

thatskindafunny
11-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Hunted Horsefly for 15 years with lots of success. We would be there in November and we would only run into the guide that works the area and not another hunter for the 10 days we were there. Now is a different story. I haven't been for 3 years but my partners have and they say it's a zoo up there. Never mind your camo gear you better wear hunter orange. We are talking lots and lots of hunters. Don't ever think I will go back there. And thatsnotkindafunny it's sad.

srupp
11-06-2008, 02:15 PM
hmmm depends on where you go...where I go..the ODD hunter but definatly NOt a gong show..

Steven

BCrams
11-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Hunted Horsefly for 15 years with lots of success. We would be there in November and we would only run into the guide that works the area and not another hunter for the 10 days we were there. Now is a different story. I haven't been for 3 years but my partners have and they say it's a zoo up there. Never mind your camo gear you better wear hunter orange. We are talking lots and lots of hunters. Don't ever think I will go back there. And thatsnotkindafunny it's sad.

I've seen hunters but never a gong show.

Good hunting for those who put the effort forth.

sneg
11-06-2008, 02:42 PM
so what direction to go to avoid crowds but still have decent hunting ? is it further from hwy better or higher at same mentioned spots ?

Salty
11-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I lived in Likely for a short time over 20 years ago. There were quite a few muleys around back then, but no whitetails that I ever saw. Was just wondering, have WT spread into the Horsefly/Likely area by now?..

Eagle1
11-06-2008, 03:03 PM
yep, there's no game in the Horse fly area at all. I'd try a different spot, like PG or the Blackwater or something,maybe over at the Gang.

BCrams
11-06-2008, 03:05 PM
yep, there's no game in the Horse fly area at all. I'd try a different spot, like PG or the Blackwater or something,maybe over at the Gang.

Wasn't that you with that huge big buck out in Horsefly a couple years ago??? (oops)

Talk about a gong show..... the Gang area certainly is just that.

sneg
11-06-2008, 03:14 PM
horsefly have very easy access from hwy. both roads horsefly and likely 2wd . probably this is main reason why place is so busy.hopefully snow will keep some folks at home.

BCrams
11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
horsefly have very easy access from hwy. both roads horsefly and likely 2wd . probably this is main reason why place is so busy.hopefully snow will keep some folks at home.

Getting there is easy ....

Nearly all the hunting is off on side roads ...some of which are very difficult to drive unless you have an atv .... or you hunt on foot etc.

DeerWhisperer
11-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Deerwhisperer is throwing you a spin .... there are deer in Horsefly area and yes - an opportunity for a big one too.

Haha there is some nice deer around I was just joking around with you. lol

sneg
11-06-2008, 03:37 PM
:lol:i can not believe you pull a joke on fellow HBC member:lol: cheers

sneg
11-06-2008, 04:44 PM
hope it will snow for couple more days. can not wait to get to the bush.

srupp
11-06-2008, 05:34 PM
not much deer left this time of year in Likely....snow..horsefly has good Mulies and some BIG ones are taken this time of year AND they have THE MOST and BIGGEST whitetails around so far..

cheers

Steven

BCrams
11-06-2008, 06:01 PM
..horsefly has good Mulies and some BIG ones are taken this time of year AND they have THE MOST and BIGGEST whitetails around so far..

cheers

Steven

And where are you hunting whitetails this year Mr Rupp. :cool: Horsefly?? :biggrin:

DeerWhisperer
11-06-2008, 07:17 PM
My uncle has seen a huge 6 point whitetail standing right in front of the church about 5 years ago haha. But my first buck I shot ever probabaly would've scored about 140-150 and I got it up at my cabin near horsefly. :-o

sneg
11-06-2008, 07:58 PM
wow i did not realize that area hold lot of white tails. again , understand that snow push MD down south ,but this year fall is really warm and dry. probably will be some differences ???

boonerbuck
11-06-2008, 08:03 PM
When I lived near Horsefly 4 or 5 years ago there were big white tails. I saw a nice 8 pointer on the Horsefly road. Until then it was the biggest one I had seen in this province yet. Saw a bigger one in Chetwynd this year...:-P

srupp
11-06-2008, 08:25 PM
I have seen a photo of a BOONER WHITETAIL taken from this area...

The most whitetail I have seen in BC have been by Horsefly...

BCRAMS I am travelling to ALBERTA for MOOSE AND MULIE AND WHITETAIL hunt starting Nov 17th..:tongue:.....

The BIG mulies are STILL up top of HORSEFLY MT. I "may get there SUNDAY...as I got my quad back today..:shock:

cheers

Steven

sneg
11-06-2008, 08:27 PM
do white tails move/migrate same as mullies to winter ranges??

sneg
11-07-2008, 12:03 PM
so, where is the snow ? forecast says sunny with some rain /wet snow. i've phone up every motel/resort/b&b in the area.all packed up with hunters.guess will be fun weekend.