PDA

View Full Version : One exhausting day

rollingrock
09-17-2005, 10:42 PM
Went to an area I've never been before today. Drove up into the mountain last night, woke up around 6 this morning and started scouting. After talking to a few nice campers, seemed I pass the spot I planned to get to and ended up on wrong spot, as this was the first time I've been there. Well, but I did find a spot looking quite convincing in this wrong spot. But it's across the river. The water was low though, so I jumped around on the rock and made the cross. A lot bear and deer signs in the sand on the river bed and trails in the bush right beside the river. But the signs aren't as fresh. I stalked for 200 yards and couldn't see anything fresh, so I found the higher spot and started making deer calls. Well after a couple of minutes, about 400 yards away in this same bush I heard the answer. Blood started boiling, and my call sounded even more touching and softer. But after a minute, I realized it was another hunter calling. WTF! So both of us started calling and answering to each other!

Went to my planned spot. A lot signs on the river bed too, but none of these are fresh either. So I stalked into the forest beside the river for almost an hour and couldn't find anything. I exited from another point and started walking back through river bed to my vehicle beside the bridge. All of a sudden about 50 yards away right on the edge of the woods I just stalked, something definitely crushed a tree branch and made a loud crack. I followed the sound and found some tracks right on the sand beside the woods. I followed through, but of course all prints, if there is any, were covered by leaves and lichen. Very discouraged and distraught, I decided this was another unlucky day. But on the way downhill, I spotted a huge brown Lynx run across the road! Man, this was the first game I saw today!

Now I understand why all the road signs are full of bullet holes in this area! But, hey, each time I learned something out in the woods. That was great!

Steeleco
09-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Could you get up the Mystery creek road or is it still 4wd access?? There's some HUGH open area's at the top but you may have to get in there from the Harrison side in your buggy? Although I'd say you had a good day for a frist try. Tough country to hunt, but when it click's it's sweet.

rollingrock
09-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Could you get up the Mystery creek road or is it still 4wd access?? There's some HUGH open area's at the top but you may have to get in there from the Harrison side in your buggy? Although I'd say you had a good day for a frist try. Tough country to hunt, but when it click's it's sweet.

That road is in very good condition, so no 4wd is needed any more. I'll definitely try from the other side next time. Very beautiful place to drive and walk around. If my gun doesn't see any blood, it won't give up that easy!;-) I love BC, nice country!

Foxer
09-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Still very early in the season - plenty of time and we're still a long way from the rutt.

rollingrock
09-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Still very early in the season - plenty of time and we're still a long way from the rutt.

I think you're right! But the reason I went out yesterday was that today is full moon, so I was assuming those animals were supposed to be more active than usual. It might be true, but I might be at the wrong spot. As Dave said, I need to get really up high. But lack of quad is really a big pain in my ass.

Foxer
09-18-2005, 10:55 AM
My experience with blacktail and sitka is that if the moon is out they tend to be pretty nocturnal, making use of the light. But you never do know :) Sometimes they move at odd hours and in odd weather.

Steeleco
09-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Check out this web site: http://www.blacktailcountry.com/ Hunting Blacktails is tough, but I read an article on the site that said " when it's raining , drop everything and go blacktail hunting" I have to agree with that, the one I got last year had me soaked to the bone, but it was worth it.