PDA

View Full Version : Cariboo Inspection,s

CJ-Jim
11-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Just to inform any-one coming to the Cariboo area , the RCMP and Prince George CO,S have been doing spot inspections in the Cariboo Area.
They are looking at everything !!
So make sure you have ALL your doc,s with you - PAL Card - Gun Registration card - LEH card - Current Tag,s
They have issued fines or warning,s for hunters NOT having proper DOC,s / also caught a number of Poachers on the last spot check set-up on the Well,s Barkerville HWY.
Best CJ-Jim

sealevel
11-04-2008, 09:48 AM
just a ?? why post that i am sure some poachers read these threads.

swampdonkey
11-04-2008, 09:52 AM
just a ?? why post that i am sure some poachers read these threads.99%of them are to dumb to read and should not be on this site

CooperSscat
11-04-2008, 09:57 AM
You actually need your gun registration card? Oh geez. I've never packed that along with me and I don't plan on it either.

Further, my lovely PAL card I got last year came with a piece of paper saying I needed to carry it along with my lovely PAL card. There's no more info on it than the PAL card! WTF!

Any CO I've run into in the last 5 years has not wanted to see a PAL or POL or gun regi;they only wanted to see the meat and potatoes=hunting license,tags or any LEH authorizations.

These CO encounters have been AOK with me too. Their hard work is appreciated!

Jeremy

FLHTCUI
11-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Any CO I've run into in the last 5 years has not wanted to see a PAL or POL or gun regi;they only wanted to see the meat and potatoes=hunting license,tags or any LEH authorizations.

Jeremy

Just another reminder for those that may tralier thier hunting buggy up as well, make sure the insurance tag is installed and regi is handi too.
I know of one guy who forgot to buy the for the rig and had to pay a pretty good fine...would have been able to insure the thing fully had he remebered to buy insurance before he left.
Good Hunting and safe camping all.
Rob

11-04-2008, 10:08 AM
just a ?? why post that i am sure some poachers read these threads.

x2
Shouldn't carrying all of that stuff be a S.O.P.?

BigBanger
11-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the heads up .

roblikestohunt
11-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Sounds like standard stuff that any experienced hunter, wouldnt even have a second thought about having with them anyways!!!

Jagermeister
11-04-2008, 10:39 AM
You actually need your gun registration card? Oh geez. I've never packed that along with me and I don't plan on it either.

Further, my lovely PAL card I got last year came with a piece of paper saying I needed to carry it along with my lovely PAL card. There's no more info on it than the PAL card! WTF!

Jeremy
So, comes the day that you're stopped and can't produce the necessary documentation. You won't come on here whinning about how your firearms were confiscated, will you?

lunatic
11-04-2008, 10:57 AM
I think ( hope ) anyway that the point of his post was just a friendly "heads up". It's easy enough to misplace something or as was previously mentioned....perhaps forget to insure the old toy hauler. That would be a real shitty start to a good hunt. It doesn't hurt to know ahead of time so you can double check that everything is in order. I'm sure if some "saints".....(God help them) actually made a mistake, they would appreciate the "heads up". I'm man enough to admit that I'm guilty of not having my registartion with me at all times either. Obviously missed that somewhere if that is a requirement.

KevinB
11-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm also guilty of not always having my actual registration card with me...they are much too flimsy to carry in the field, even though technically you have to, so I leave them in the truck glove box...after all I'm probably not going to run into the RCMP in the bush. But what if someone breaks into my truck, and for some reason takes them? I try not to think about what kind of cluster**** would follow that.

I also read the fine print on the piece of paper my renewed PAL came attached to, and like the other poster, mine also listed the special requirements attached to my PAL......the only one of which was to carry around this same piece of paper, which had a list of what special requirements were attached to my PAL....which was to carry around the piece of paper....I also said WTF??? :confused: A few emails to the CFC didn't make things any clearer. I have decided to leave it in my desk drawer at home. So, if I go through a roadblock, and some RCMP nuthead decides to confiscate my rifle because I don't have that original piece of paper that says nothing, then you bet I'll come on here and squawk. And I'd be calling my MP as well!

Anyways it's good to know the CO's are out there and being visible. And hopefully their presence at roadblocks will keep any young hotshot RCMP officers from misinterpreting the Firearms Act and confiscating property for improper reasons...

newhunterette
11-04-2008, 01:53 PM
well let me see - Azshia and I went through 2 checkpoints and were not stopped - we were dressed to the nines in camo, we had our tags, our licenses, all our documents in order, we had firearms and we drove a big truck and we got waved on - never stopped - so here is my advice - stuff your shirts, wear a long hair wig, some lipstick and smile sweetly and you get waved through :)

:shock::shock::shock:

CooperSscat
11-04-2008, 02:16 PM
So, comes the day that you're stopped and can't produce the necessary documentation. You won't come on here whinning about how your firearms were confiscated, will you?

I will deal with any potential confiscation of my hunting possessions to the bitter end! So no whining for me here on HuntingBC! :smile:

Jeremy

CooperSscat
11-04-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm also guilty of not always having my actual registration card with me...they are much too flimsy to carry in the field, even though technically you have to, so I leave them in the truck glove box...after all I'm probably not going to run into the RCMP in the bush. But what if someone breaks into my truck, and for some reason takes them? I try not to think about what kind of cluster**** would follow that.

I also read the fine print on the piece of paper my renewed PAL came attached to, and like the other poster, mine also listed the special requirements attached to my PAL......the only one of which was to carry around this same piece of paper, which had a list of what special requirements were attached to my PAL....which was to carry around the piece of paper....I also said WTF??? :confused: A few emails to the CFC didn't make things any clearer. I have decided to leave it in my desk drawer at home. So, if I go through a roadblock, and some RCMP nuthead decides to confiscate my rifle because I don't have that original piece of paper that says nothing, then you bet I'll come on here and squawk. And I'd be calling my MP as well!

Anyways it's good to know the CO's are out there and being visible. And hopefully their presence at roadblocks will keep any young hotshot RCMP officers from misinterpreting the Firearms Act and confiscating property for improper reasons...

Yes the PAL paper that accompanies the actual PAL card is redundant. It makes no sense just like the long gun registry. :roll:

Jeremy

CJ-Jim
11-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I didn,t post this as a head,s up for poachers!!! but as a reminder to the honest hunters out there that you could ruin a great hunt and trip , because you forgot a piece of paper or plastic card at home !!
and its not the CO,s who are looking at your PAL and Gun REG. it,s the other guy,s
BEST CJ-Jim

oldtimer
11-04-2008, 05:00 PM
One of the checkpoints was out at Strathnaver and they nailed some guys with cows and calves and no tags or LEH's as well as some guys with game but no licences and guys with licenses and game but no PAL's. I have no wish to start a pissing contest here guys but the last report in the paper was all the people charged were from the lower mainland.
Mike

Dannybuoy
11-04-2008, 05:08 PM
I didn,t post this as a head,s up for poachers!!! but as a reminder to the honest hunters out there that you could ruin a great hunt and trip , because you forgot a piece of paper or plastic card at home !!
and its not the CO,s who are looking at your PAL and Gun REG. it,s the other guy,s
BEST CJ-Jim
Yes and good post !

Spuddge
11-04-2008, 05:42 PM
One of the checkpoints was out at Strathnaver and they nailed some guys with cows and calves and no tags or LEH's as well as some guys with game but no licences and guys with licenses and game but no PAL's. I have no wish to start a pissing contest here guys but the last report in the paper was all the people charged were from the lower mainland.
Mike

Your point being?

Doe Eyes
11-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Can someone tell me where it says that I must carry my gun registration?
What act defines this? I am having an argument with a co-worker about this.
I always carry mine but the hubby does not.

oldtimer
11-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Because the headlines read hunters charged in checkpoint and the local people, without reading the fine print , blame the locals ( me ). I just wanted to clarify it as I did to the local paper. No offense meant to all the hunters who do all the right things. Mike

quadrakid
11-04-2008, 06:16 PM
i always carry all the paperwork. i don,t want my trip ruined,and i,ve found you rarely win arguements on points of law when your being questioned by someone who thinks they are right and carry a badge. had a rifle stolen on a trip and it was nice to have the registration with me.

huntwriter
11-04-2008, 06:46 PM
With all the documentation needed these days, and more coming down the pipe - ATV license coming soon too-, it probably will not be long before we have to take a briefcase with us on every hunting trip to carry all that paperwork.

Kye
11-04-2008, 06:50 PM
The last thing you want is to get stopped for speeding on your hunting trip, RCMP asks for registration for your guns, you don't have it with you so the guns get seized until you provide proof, and your papers are back home. I just leave photocopies of my registration in my glove box, your then covered.

TimberPig
11-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Can someone tell me where it says that I must carry my gun registration?
What act defines this? I am having an argument with a co-worker about this.
I always carry mine but the hubby does not.

The Firearms Act says that you must "possess" firearms registration certificates for all firearms you own.

For restricted firearms it states the registration certificate must accompany the firearm at all times. Nowhere does it say this for non restricted firearms. It does provide that a peace officer may seize the firearms if you cannot provide proof of registration, and you have 14 days in which to provide proof of registration before they may commence disposal proceedings.

Nowhere in the law does it require you to have the certificate with the firearm for your hunting rifles/shotguns. Failing to carry the reg certs may cause a hassle if you meet up with the wrong cop, but generally they tend not to care as much about the actual registration certificate, as they do your PAL, and hunting licenses/authorizations.

Doe Eyes
11-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Thats right...nowhere in the regulations does it state that you must carry a copy of your gun registration. In fact, when you transfer the registration by telephone, you do not have the actual certificate yet are legally allowed to have the non-restricted firearm in your possession.

Blainer
11-04-2008, 09:30 PM
The Firearms Act says that you must "possess" firearms registration certificates for all firearms you own.

For restricted firearms it states the registration certificate must accompany the firearm at all times. Nowhere does it say this for non restricted firearms. It does provide that a peace officer may seize the firearms if you cannot provide proof of registration, and you have 14 days in which to provide proof of registration before they may commence disposal proceedings.

Nowhere in the law does it require you to have the certificate with the firearm for your hunting rifles/shotguns. Failing to carry the reg certs may cause a hassle if you meet up with the wrong cop, but generally they tend not to care as much about the actual registration certificate, as they do your PAL, and hunting licenses/authorizations.Never carry mine.I'm not sure I even received all mine.
What if you just purchased the firearm?
What if you borrowed the firearm?
What if it is a demo from a dealer?ect,ect.

Jagermeister
11-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Crap, this thread has the marking of the ATV Liability Insurance thread. Just one big vicious circle-jerk.

burger
11-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Straight from the canadian firearms program website:

Q. I own firearms but I do not have a licence and I have not registered them. Can I still apply, and if so, will there be any penalties?
Yes, you may still apply. We are making every effort to help firearm owners comply with the law. If you need assistance, call 1 800 731-4000. An amnesty protects you from penalties under the Criminal Code until May 16, 2009 if you only possess non-restricted firearms and you had a licence but it expired. You will need to comply with the licensing requirement or dispose of your firearms before the amnesty ends.
In all other cases, you risk penalties if a peace officer finds you in possession of a firearm without a valid licence and/or registration certificate. To minimize that risk, we urge you to apply as quickly as possible.
You need a valid firearms licence to be able to register your firearms. The Possession and Acquisition Licence (http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online-en_ligne/form-assistance/indiv_forms/921_e.asp) (PAL) (CAFC 921) is the only licence currently available to new applicants. If you have a licence, you can apply to register your firearms online for free through our Website or by submitting a paper application (CAFC 998 (http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/online-en_ligne/form-assistance/indiv_forms/998_e.asp)).
Firearms being registered for the first time in Canada need to be verified by an approved verifier (http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/Archive%20-%20not%20used/verification_e.asp). Call 1 800 731-4000 for help to verify your firearms.
If you have prohibited firearms, please call 1 800 731-4000 to find out your options.
Q. What is the maximum number of cartridges that a firearm magazine can legally hold?
As set out in Criminal Code Regulations (http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/SOR-98-462/index.html), some large-capacity magazines are prohibited regardless of the class of firearm to which the magazines are attached. As a general rule, the maximum magazine capacity is:

5 cartridges for most magazines designed for a semi-automatic centre-fire long gun; or
10 cartridges for most handgun magazinesA large-capacity magazine is not prohibited if it has been permanently altered so that it cannot hold more than the number of cartridges allowed by law. Acceptable ways to alter a magazine are set out in the regulations.
There is no limit to the magazine capacity for semi-automatic rim-fire long guns, or for other long guns that are not semi-automatics.

Glenny
11-05-2008, 04:09 AM
From what I have read on other threads the rules are open to enterpretation by each individual CO. And some of their enterpretations are way off the mark. Now when you get the RCMP trying to enforce this stuff....Well what can I say. If in doubt...Bring it. I just carry everything in a little wallet and bring it all with me. No biggy. G

KodiakHntr
11-05-2008, 05:59 AM
The thing I find most interesting about this thread is that everyone is so positive you need to have your registration card with your firearm...HOWEVER with the mandatory registration of firearms being postponed until may of 2009, why is this so?

If you don't legally have to have it registered until '09, why do you have to carry the card with you now?

KodiakHntr
11-05-2008, 06:07 AM
well let me see - Azshia and I went through 2 checkpoints and were not stopped - we were dressed to the nines in camo, we had our tags, our licenses, all our documents in order, we had firearms and we drove a big truck and we got waved on - never stopped - so here is my advice - stuff your shirts, wear a long hair wig, some lipstick and smile sweetly and you get waved through :)

:shock::shock::shock:

Hate to be the one to pick up on this, but you might of fractured a law there...All hunters MUST stop at checkstops, regardless of whether you get waved over or not....

Game Check

4All hunters, with or without game, when
encountering temporary checking stations
operated by an officer, are required by law
to stop and report.Their compliance with
wildlife and firearms laws will be determined.

Glenny
11-05-2008, 06:20 AM
The thing I find most interesting about this thread is that everyone is so positive you need to have your registration card with your firearm...HOWEVER with the mandatory registration of firearms being postponed until may of 2009, why is this so?

If you don't legally have to have it registered until '09, why do you have to carry the card with you now?

Ok you know that and I think we all know it now but do the COs and the RCMP know that. Better safe than sorry. I would like to have it all with me and if they stop me and ask for certain things I could quiz them on it. Could be fun too. G

KodiakHntr
11-05-2008, 06:26 AM
True...but what about those of us hunting with a legally unregistered firearm?

Glenny
11-05-2008, 06:30 AM

Then I would maybe print something off a Gov web site stating this. It's all in the enterpretation of the lawman. You are right but they may not have a clue. G

hunter1947
11-05-2008, 06:35 AM
Well thats a good thing ,there should be more spot checks ,catch the bad people http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Mauser98
11-05-2008, 10:52 AM

There's no such thing as a legally unregistered firearm. All firearms must be legally registered. All the current 'amnesty' does is remove criminal liability from those people who have not registered their non-restricted firearms.

Here's a link to the 'Special Bulletin for Police' that deals with the amnesty.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/bulletins/police/bulletin74_e.asp

So basically, if a person can't produce a reg cert, a Peace Officer can seize(or not-he can use his discretion) the firearm under S117.03(Criminal Code) but under the amnesty can't charge the person under S91(1)(Criminal Code)

For you reading enjoyment, I pasted S117.03 below.:smile:

Seizure on failure to produce authorization (http://198.103.98.49/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_II_1::bo-ga:l_III//fr?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:117_03)
117.03 (http://198.103.98.49/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_II_1::bo-ga:l_III//fr?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:117_03) (1) Notwithstanding section 117.02, a peace officer who finds
(a) a person in possession of a firearm who fails, on demand, to produce, for inspection by the peace officer, an authorization or a licence under which the person may lawfully possess the firearm and a registration certificate for the firearm, or

(b) a person in possession of a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition who fails, on demand, to produce, for inspection by the peace officer, an authorization or a licence under which the person may lawfully possess it,

may seize the firearm, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device or prohibited ammunition unless its possession by the person in the circumstances in which it is found is authorized by any provision of this Part, or the person is under the direct and immediate supervision of another person who may lawfully possess it.

Return of seized thing on production of authorization (http://198.103.98.49/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_II_1::bo-ga:l_III//fr?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:117_03-ss:_2_)
(2) Where a person from whom any thing is seized pursuant to subsection (1) claims the thing within fourteen days after the seizure and produces for inspection by the peace officer by whom it was seized, or any other peace officer having custody of it,
(a) an authorization or a licence under which the person is lawfully entitled to possess it, and

(b) in the case of a firearm, a registration certificate for the firearm,

the thing shall forthwith be returned to that person.

Forfeiture of seized thing (http://198.103.98.49/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_II_1::bo-ga:l_III//fr?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:117_03-ss:_3_)
(3) Where any thing seized pursuant to subsection (1) is not claimed and returned as and when provided by subsection (2), a peace officer shall forthwith take the thing before a provincial court judge, who may, after affording the person from whom it was seized or its owner, if known, an opportunity to establish that the person is lawfully entitled to possess it, declare it to be forfeited to Her Majesty, to be disposed of or otherwise dealt with as the Attorney General directs.

tufferthandug
11-05-2008, 11:12 AM
So I'm legal with:

A hunting liscence,
Proper tags,
PAL,
Firearm registration certificate.

Right?

Just double checking my hunting bag.

KodiakHntr
11-05-2008, 11:15 AM
There's no such thing as a legally unregistered firearm. All firearms must be legally registered. All the current 'amnesty' does is remove criminal liability from those people who have not registered their non-restricted firearms.

Here's a link to the 'Special Bulletin for Police' that deals with the amnesty.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/bulletins/police/bulletin74_e.asp

So basically, if a person can't produce a reg cert, a Peace Officer can seize(or not-he can use his discretion) the firearm under S117.03(Criminal Code) but under the amnesty can't charge the person under S91(1)
(Criminal C

For you reading enjoyment, I pasted S117.03 below.:smile:

Appreciate that...Won't make a difference to me, but appreciate it.

Glenny
11-05-2008, 01:00 PM
So I'm legal with:

A hunting liscence,
Proper tags,
PAL,
Firearm registration certificate.

Right?

Just double checking my hunting bag.

Yup. Go get em. Don't forget your bullets! :D

Shooter
11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
FYI after reading this thread and realizing that I can no longer find the reg certs for 3 of my rifles I decided to call them up. If you fill out the form to replace the certificates it costs you $10. On the phone the lady shipped 3 of them out to me on the spot and didn't cost me anything. It took about 20 seconds to do it all. The number to replace the reg certificates is 1-800-731-4000 then its options 1, 2, 1, 2.

Just thought I'd post this if anyone else needed to replace some.

tufferthandug
11-05-2008, 05:43 PM
This thread is worthy of being a sticky IMO. It helps remind us all what to bring with us to remain lawful.

vortex
11-05-2008, 06:46 PM
From the CFC website...The Government has announced its intention to simplify licence requirements for firearm owners and to remove the requirement to register non-restricted firearms. However, any changes to the Firearms Act must go through a legislative process and pass in Parliament. This will take time. In the meantime, firearm owners and users are required to comply with the current law. An amnesty (http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/notice-avis/amnesty_e.asp) protects some owners of non-restricted firearms while they acquire licences and registration certificates

Doe Eyes
11-06-2008, 11:06 AM
"Seizure on failure to produce authorization (http://198.103.98.49/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_II_1::bo-ga:l_III//fr?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:117_03)
117.03 (http://198.103.98.49/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_II_1::bo-ga:l_III//fr?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:117_03) (1) Notwithstanding section 117.02, a peace officer who finds
(a) a person in possession of a firearm who fails, on demand, to produce, for inspection by the peace officer, an authorization or a licence under which the person may lawfully possess the firearm and a registration certificate for the firearm, or

(b) a person in possession of a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition who fails, on demand, to produce, for inspection by the peace officer, an authorization or a licence under which the person may lawfully possess it,

may seize the firearm, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device or prohibited ammunition unless its possession by the person in the circumstances in which it is found is authorized by any provision of this Part, or the person is under the direct and immediate supervision of another person who may lawfully possess it.

Return of seized thing on production of authorization (http://198.103.98.49/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_II_1::bo-ga:l_III//fr?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:117_03-ss:_2_)
(2) Where a person from whom any thing is seized pursuant to subsection (1) claims the thing within fourteen days after the seizure and produces for inspection by the peace officer by whom it was seized, or any other peace officer having custody of it,
(a) an authorization or a licence under which the person is lawfully entitled to possess it, and

(b) in the case of a firearm, a registration certificate for the firearm,

the thing shall forthwith be returned to that person.

Forfeiture of seized thing (http://198.103.98.49/fr/ShowDoc/cs/C-46/bo-ga:l_II_1::bo-ga:l_III//fr?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:117_03-ss:_3_)
(3) Where any thing seized pursuant to subsection (1) is not claimed and returned as and when provided by subsection (2), a peace officer shall forthwith take the thing before a provincial court judge, who may, after affording the person from whom it was seized or its owner, if known, an opportunity to establish that the person is lawfully entitled to possess it, declare it to be forfeited to Her Majesty, to be disposed of or otherwise dealt with as the Attorney General directs. "

Mauser98,
The part of the criminal code that you quote is from;
Search and Seizure
Search and seizure without warrant where offence committed

The salient point being where an offence (under the offence act or criminal
code) is committed and the peace officer has reasonable and probable grounds
to search and seize, then the officer could seize only if you could not
produce the required documents.

In layman terms, you could not be required to produce any document unless
there is a lawful reason by the officer to request it. They could not be
requested routinely or without grounds to believe you have or are in the act
of committing a criminal offence.

Note that some violations of the fish and wildlife act do fall under the
offence act and the criminal code.

Kye
11-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Mauser98,
The part of the criminal code that you quote is from;
Search and Seizure
Search and seizure without warrant where offence committed

The salient point being where an offence (under the offence act or criminal
code) is committed and the peace officer has reasonable and probable grounds
to search and seize, then the officer could seize only if you could not
produce the required documents.

In layman terms, you could not be required to produce any document unless
there is a lawful reason by the officer to request it. They could not be
requested routinely or without grounds to believe you have or are in the act
of committing a criminal offence.

Note that some violations of the fish and wildlife act do fall under the
offence act and the criminal code.

If a firearm is visable, or when asked you state that you are in possesion of a firearm, the officer has every right to ask for documentation. If that documentation is not produced, it might be seized.

CJ-Jim
11-06-2008, 05:11 PM
OK-OK- GuYS this all started as just a reminder to everyone to have all your tags and doc,s with you = and was never my intention to open a can of worns about what the CO,s or the RCMP are allowed to do or request = lets all just carry all the DOC,s and registrations = that way RIGHT or WRONG all bases are covered = BE A BOYSCOUT- BE PREPARED
BEST CJ-JIM

Doe Eyes
11-06-2008, 06:35 PM
I dont think anyone is aguing here...just a good discussion about the law and its requirement.
Of course everyone should be prepared when going out hunting.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-06-2008, 08:43 PM
awe geez I aquired this Non-restricted rifle and applied for reg cert over the phone/internet etc...but have not received it as of yet

I have been thru 4 checkstops so far this year got waived thru only 1
so of the 3 that I have been stopped for I have had game in 2 instances
Once i had a bear , the other some ditch chickens .... now being as I hunt in my Jeep Cherokee I opened the back to show my "harvest" ..In the bears case my rifle was sitting right there beside it ... the Mountie with the CO asked me to hand the rifle to him .... he checked to see if there was any carts in the mag..no there was not and then he talked about how you dont see many mauser actions anymore ... we went on for about 10 minutes while the Co checked my tags etc....and then joined in on the conversation ranging from old mauser actions to my life in Alberta 9turns out the Mountie was posted in Cochrane AB(where i lived) and made the Odd trip to the Remand center in Calgary(where i worked)
In the case of the Birds I had my Bow and had used my bow to harvest them however my .22 model 64 was in its locked case once again beside said harvest (Fairly convinced its registered as CFC says i have 3 certs But in reality I dont have one) not a mention of my case or its contents were said.

the third instance where i was stopped I only had Bows in my possesion

Doe Eyes
11-06-2008, 09:16 PM
If a firearm is visable, or when asked you state that you are in possesion of a firearm, the officer has every right to ask for documentation. If that documentation is not produced, it might be seized.

It is not a crime to have a visible firearm in most circumstances. The Act
and the Code are not intended to affect hunters. These sections should be
read with a criminal act in mind.

There is no such thing as a "routine" check. Every encounter with an officer
requires the officer to have "grounds".