PDA

View Full Version : Ski-doo recomendations for pulling hound box on sled

Sniper
11-04-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't know much about Ski-doo snow machines but I need to buy one for ths season so I can pull some hounds on a sled into an area to hunt. I figure I can pull the hounds in on a sled and then disconnect for the chase. I only have a couple thousand to spend right now, a friend recommended a Ski-doo Elan one lunger, says there cheap and will do the job. Anybody else have experience or recommendations??:smile:

Jagermeister
11-04-2008, 10:18 AM
The machine you probably want is a Skidoo Tundra or Skandic. You will want to have an aggressive track with paddles of 1" to 1½". Any of the other manufacturers trail machines would be alright too. Just stay away from the liquid cooled ones, they're fine machines but are too heavy for what you want.

Spokerider
11-04-2008, 10:58 AM
From my research, an aircooled machine is the way to go for slow speeds, packed snow conditions. The "go fast" machines require snow to be blown into it to help the engine cool, and that's not likely to happen at speeds pulling a trailer.

If you choose a big heavy machine, a quad winch is a good idea for " unstucking" your machine.

Fisher-Dude
11-04-2008, 06:32 PM
You might want to look for a used Bearcat - 20x156 long track, articulated skid frame, low gears for pulling, reverse, hitch, and comes in a 570 fan 2 stroke or 4 stroke. They are excellent utility machines that are designed for hunters, trappers, and fishermen. They will also be kinder to your back than an old Tundra or Skandic. Panther touring sleds are also good for consideration if you find a used one in good shape.

A Tundra will be a bit short on power to haul a dog box if the snow gets deeper, so if you're stuck on Ski Doo, I'd suggest the Skandic.

Count on a utility machine to weigh more than a sport/mountain sled. But, most of your riding is on trails, and if you ride smart and use reverse properly, you won't be dealing with STUCK very often. ;)

As far as liquids are concerned, I cougar hunt from a 600 liquid mountain sled, and have never had a problem with overheating. BUT, remember if you're cat hunting, you're wasting your time in hard packed conditions, 'cause ya won't be seeing any tracks! You need to hunt right after a couple of inches of fresh snow if you want to age tracks - otherwise, you can look forward to "dog recovery missions" on cold cat tracks!

boxhitch
11-04-2008, 08:10 PM
I cougar hunt from a 600 liquid mountain sled, and have never had a problem with overheating.I hear you'll be using that in reg3 for deer now that htere is snow down. How fast can they run in a sled track ?

Fisher-Dude
11-04-2008, 08:16 PM
I hear you'll be using that in reg3 for deer now that htere is snow down. How fast can they run in a sled track ?

I could cover my Region 3 spot in half an hour on that thing, LOL! Not sure if anything would be standing around too long if they heard it comin'! I prefer to lull them with the gentle diesel rumble at this time of the year. :wink:

boxhitch
11-04-2008, 08:36 PM
I could cover my Region 3 spot in half an hour on that thing, LOL
Mine takes an hour to cover but it takes two hours of tough sledding to get there.

Nait Hadya
11-07-2008, 09:36 AM
i realize it is out of your price range, however i chose the yamaha venture multi purpose liquid cooled 4 stroke. it has a fan cooled rad for those situations where the trail is hard packed or for when your just puttin along looking for tracks. it has an extended cargo area that is capable of supporting a large box. if your towing a box they have to deal with the fumes from a 2 stroke and a very rough ride. i studded the track for climbing over deadfall and rocky icy hills. sounds like your going back in the bush a long ways and you need something that will get you and your hounds back safely.

springpin
11-07-2008, 09:42 AM
The Bearcat 600 turbo is a good choice if the gearbox lasts....A Skandic is a work horse and you can get them fairly cheap. Talk to some ski areas and see if they are selling any off..Kicking horse just sold a bunch for 2 grand each.

springpin
11-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Also the bearcat, well last year, had an overheating issue with towing. So they sold an add on cooling fan. Also the Fuel gauge gasket leaked badly and was a fire hazard....things to ponder

Sniper
11-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Well I phoned the Ski-doo dealer he agreed with Jag the Tundra should be what I'm looking for, probably an air cooled 550 so this is what I'm going to look for. Problem is there seems to be very very few advertised for sale.:sad:

boxhitch
11-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Sniper, maybe check that again. IIRC the Tundra only ever had a 250 cc. The 550 fan is in newer Skandics.
Older Skandics had 377 cc, and the old Cheyene had the 503 cc.
Some newer skandics have a hi/lo/reverse trans which is good, if you can swing the bucks.

Jagermeister
11-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Sniper, I think I know where there may be a Tundra, I won't be able to check until Monday or later. Party is away and not scheduled to return until Wednesday, but like I said, I'll try Monday on a faint hope.

Moosenose
11-08-2008, 09:04 PM
If you are planning on pulling a sled behind with dogs you definitely need a utility machine. The little machines like a Tundra, or Elan are fine for one guy, but you won't be happy trying to go anywhere with a load on behind. I use a Yamaha Viking VK 540 on my trapline. The first one I had was a 1990, I put about 15,000km on it then sold it. This current Viking is a 99 and has about 18,000km on it and still runs like a top. 2 speeds forward, one reverse, electric start. On two occasions is has pulled other machines out of the bush. Track is 20 X 156 inches (good floatation for the size of the machine). Other wide track utility machines recommended here are probably also good, but check with other trappers and see what they use day after day all winter long.
We sometimes take a single dog along, but he has a box built on back of a Venture.
Good luck
MN

bozzdrywall
11-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Buy an arctic cat

Sniper
11-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Which machines would be considered utility machines? Why are the air cooled recomended over the liquid cooled for this job ? I am partial to Bombardier because they have a track record of excellent engineering.:)

Eagle1
11-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Arctic Cat. After that said you better check the Regs as I think you CANNOT use a snow machine for hunting or to transport hunters or game.
The only place I've seen it allowed is for LEH buffalo.
Better to check than be sorry and spend your money on something and not being able to use it like you want to.

ex bc guide
11-10-2008, 11:52 AM
You CAN use them for cat hunting...

Jagermeister
11-10-2008, 01:50 PM
To answer someone's question as to why air over liquid cooling, liquid cooled machines are heavier due to the glycol coolant and the extra weight of rad and periphial appartus. Heavier machines are harder to stop and go in light snow, harder to throw around on the trail. I'm not saying that it can't be done, I just saying that it's harder.
The originator of this thread said he had limited funds and is wanting the best bang for his buck. The Tundra will do what he wants, he should be able to get a newer machine for the dollar, if he can swing a Skandic or Yamaha VK so much the better.
For the record, I own a 'cat 660 liquid cooled. great trail machine on packed snow, will go through the powder with the throttle pinned and I have a 1¾" ripsaw track. Best thing about it is it's 4-Stroke and light on fuel consumption. It has plenty of power to tow on packed snow, but I do not think that I would want to do it on early season snow.

Jagermeister
11-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Sniper, that Tundra that I pm'd you about is a 2008 and the ticket on it is $6000. It's a 300 and would probably do the job, price might be high, it's a dealer, not Skidoo dealer, and I think that a person could negotiate a deal if you wanted to ballpark that price.

boxhitch
11-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Jag, I disagree that the Tundra would be adequate for pulling a sled. At may have the power on the flats in hard snow, but throw in some hills and some powder and they struggle. Unless maybe the operater is a flea-weight. A dog-box is going to be over 100 lbs, I bet, plus dogs.

Eagle 1, they are allowed in some regions and seasons.

Jagermeister
11-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Okay, I capitulate, forget the Tundra unless you can get a Tundra LT with the 550F otherwise go with the SkandicWT, Yamaha VK 540, ArcticCat Bearcat or the Polaris Widetrack. These have the wider track and of course, more money.

Sniper
11-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks everybody! I gained a ton of snow machine knowledge and you all may have saved me some wasted money. Happy Trails!:D

maouser
11-26-2008, 07:19 PM
hi every one any info on phazer 2 any one use one of these?