PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Scarpa boots for hunting?

bruin
11-03-2008, 10:54 PM
I sent a pair of Meindle Canada Pro's in for warranty work and Gore-tex is giving me a new pair of boots; they must be gore-tex but can be any make or model. I was looking through Hanwag, Lowa and stuff and I was wondering if anyone has used Scarpa's. If so what model did you use and what did you like or dislike about them, would you buy them again, how long did they last? Any info is welcome. Thanks.

boxhitch
11-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Wait a minute...........Goretex is giving out boots on warranty claims ??

bruin
11-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Sorry, shoulda been more clear. I bought a pair of Canada Pro's from AJ Brooks. After sheep season I took them back because the leather was destroyed and the boots leaked. They sent them back to Gore-tex to be repaired and Gore-tex decided to give me a new pair of boots.

brianscott
11-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I have some scarpa escape goretex boots.
They are great I used them on a 7 day 75km mountaineering trip this summer, never leaked a drop warm as long as you have good socks like smartwool

They have a full rand, scree wasnt a problem no real marks
great under a 45 pound pack
no hammer toes either

crossed a glacier with 5 inches of standing water on it basically 1 km of water-bone dry

never broke them in before the trip and i was fine although i should have

then got them muddy while caving in canmore , worked good in the goop

ill buy another pair when i kill these, if I kill these

Roughly 100km of rocks, scree , snow, mud, and ice and they still look like new.

bruin
11-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Good report, thanks Brian

model88
11-04-2008, 09:24 PM
I have a pair of Scarpa's, cant remember which model they where, but they have been ab awesome boot. I have had them for 5 years now. The main reason I bought them was because of the ankle support that they provide as I broke my ankle years ago and like the extra support.

The only issue I ever had with them was the long break in period required. But once this was done, no issues what so ever. You get what you pay for and for these boots you pay for them but in the end they are worth it.

I guess another issue that I did have was that they are a little wide for stirrups, but I just bought set of wider stirrups that I use when I am guiding.

bruin
11-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I have a pair of Scarpa's, cant remember which model they where, but they have been ab awesome boot. I have had them for 5 years now. The main reason I bought them was because of the ankle support that they provide as I broke my ankle years ago and like the extra support.

The only issue I ever had with them was the long break in period required. But once this was done, no issues what so ever. You get what you pay for and for these boots you pay for them but in the end they are worth it.

I guess another issue that I did have was that they are a little wide for stirrups, but I just bought set of wider stirrups that I use when I am guiding.

What type of terrain are you typically hiking in?

Everett
11-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Personaly Scarpa boots don`t work for my foot type and if your meidles fit you they probably will not fit your foot.
A good freind of mine walked through Africa in a pair and he swears by them. Actualy poached/climbed Mt Kenya in them.

model88
11-05-2008, 09:02 AM
What type of terrain are you typically hiking in?

The terrain is a lttle bit of everything, steep timbered slopes, shale slides, creeks, blow down hell etc.

I have worn them for guiding for the last 5 years as well as hunting for myself.

GoatGuy
11-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Yes, they work good. I've had a couple pairs of them.

MattB
11-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I have the scarpa mantas and they are an extremely rigid boot! Take a little more than the lowas/hanwags/meindls to break in, but they should last me a couple years, as opposed to 1 year for the meindls/lowas. If i were buying a boot strictly for hunting, i would go with the lowa tibets or lowa sheephunters as they are far more comfortable and seem to be quieter for walking than the Scarpas.

BCrams
11-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Why am I not surprised with the Canada Pro's .....

bruin
11-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys. GG, which model(s) are you using?

Casagrande
11-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Scarpa Cerro Torre an awesome mountaineering boot (sheep goats) and the SL M3 for lighter duty stuff. Moccasins for tip toeing around the bush.:smile:

troutseeker
11-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I have a pair of Scarpa Concordia which I bought on this web site. They were barely used and fit me like a glove. Very good boots, lot's of support and quite durable. Mine have no Goretex but after treating them with Nikwax they are quite water resistant. I have yet to get wet feet.

Troutseeker

waistdeep
11-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Hanwags all the way, most comfortable boot I have ever used and very tough in the rocks and woods.

muleyman
04-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Scarpa Escape GTX very tough boot full rand and Goretex and minimal break in time.:p

Roots
04-05-2009, 05:30 PM
I have a pair of Scarpa Concordia which I bought on this web site. They were barely used and fit me like a glove. Very good boots, lot's of support and quite durable. Mine have no Goretex but after treating them with Nikwax they are quite water resistant. I have yet to get wet feet.

Troutseeker

x 2!! I've had the Concordias for over 7 years now going strong. One of the best hiking/backpacking boots I've ever owned. I've probably put more than 800 km on them carrying a 60lb pack, and although they look beaten up, they seem to get more comfortable as the years go by! I believe they only sell them in Europe now, but I have absolute confidence that other Scarpa models would be just as good - if not better :D

Here are the Concordias... only wish I bought a second pair...

http://www.weld.pl/foto/naj_1193517837.jpg

ryanb
04-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Like one of the previous posters mentioned, Scarpas probably won't fit your foot if the Canada pros did. Scarpas are a relatively narrow boot (at least all the ones I've tried), the Meindl Canadas are quite the opposite.

Reggy
04-06-2009, 02:59 PM
If you have a wide foot Scarpas may not be the way to go. I owned the Scarpa Summits and had to sell them because they were too narrow for my foot. My hunting partner on the other hand has the same pair and loves them.

BCRiverBoater
04-09-2009, 01:03 AM
I personally do not own a pair but think I will make them my next pair of sheep boots.

My buddy was buying boots last fall and a younger sheep guide was in the store and told him to try a pair of Scarpa's. The guide said he has worn them for all of his guiding. So my buddy went to the NWT on a 14 day backpack sheep hunt with them. When he landed he found he had 2 guides as one of the hunters backed out. When he met his 2 guides, they were both wearing the exact same pair of Scarpa's.

3 sheep guides in one season wearing them tells me they are worth a try as long as they fit my feet.

budismyhorse
04-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Scarpa are popular in my hunting circle, not a bad story for any of the users. You'll be very happy with the purchase in my estimation.