PDA

View Full Version : The regs again

Glenny
11-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I read in the regs that one should avoid cutting through the spine when field dressing an animal because of contamination. This makes no sense to me because the butcher ends up running the spine down a ban saw and then across it many times to get your chops. Does the butcher do some kind of test first on it? er...

boxhitch
11-03-2008, 11:47 PM
Because a butcher does it that way does not mean it is the best method. The fat and the marrow of game can have a strong flavor, often imparting the gamey flavor some don't like.
I would never recomend trying to butcher venison to the same cuts as a beef or pork.
Bones are for the dogs.

11-03-2008, 11:59 PM
I read in the regs that one should avoid cutting through the spine when field dressing an animal because of contamination. This makes no sense to me because the butcher ends up running the spine down a ban saw and then across it many times to get your chops. Does the butcher do some kind of test first on it? er...

I believe this is because of the possibility of Chronic Wasting Disease. The prions that cause this disease are concentrated in the bone marrow, brain, and spinal cord tissue. It applies to butchering as well as field dressing. Note that it also says to debone your animal and not cut through any bone. This would be good advice for a meatcutter as well, and to avoid use of the bandsaw, especially for deer harvested in Saskatchewan oir Alberta.

11-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Because a butcher does it that way does not mean it is the best method. The fat and the marrow of game can have a strong flavor, often imparting the gamey flavor some don't like.
I would never recomend trying to butcher venison to the same cuts as a beef or pork.
Bones are for the dogs.

I agree Bill, butchers do it that way because it's faster and easier and the carcass is often partially frozen.. I always debone all my game animals and if I take it to a processor I ask him to do the same, even if it costs a bit more. Definitly improvers the flavor, especially of males harvested in the rut.

Glenny
11-04-2008, 04:48 AM
My neighbours are crazy for the leg bones. They use them for soup. Am I slowly killing them? Or is it just the spine and brain. The leg bones shuld be Ok I hope. G

huntwriter
11-04-2008, 08:02 AM
The precautionary advice is given in case of suspected Chronic Wasting Decease (CWD). The faulty prions that cause the illness are mostly found in the spinal cord, the tailbone and the brain of the animal. Here in BC we’re lucky because the illness has not yet made it into this province, at least there is no evidence found of it yet.

Butchers don’t do any testing before they cut up your game animal, but they have to by law to sterilize all equipment after processing a ruminant game animal of any beef over 30 months of age.

I never cut through the spine of a deer, not because out of fear of contamination but because there are much easier ways to take the meat off the carcass. I hang the deer by its hind legs and then just peel all the meat from the skeleton. The only portions I take off the carcass are the shoulders and bone them out separately. Once I am done all that’s left hanging is the skeleton. I used to pick all the meat clean of the bones but not anymore. I keep the good big cuts the rest becomes coyote bait.

My neighbours are crazy for the leg bones. They use them for soup. Am I slowly killing them? Or is it just the spine and brain. The leg bones shuld be Ok I hope. G No you’re not slowly killing them. All bones, excluding head, backbone and tail are nothing to worry about. Unless the animal you killed showed signs of severe illness and discomfort. In that case don’t eat any meat from it. Report the animal to the nearest CO. They then will come and pick it up for testing. The bad news is you still have to tag it and will, according to my information, not be refunded.:mad:

As mentioned before, CWD is not yet in BC but it is a good practice to be vigilant and report all suspicious animal (deer, elk and other ruminants) observations to the CO. With our assistance the government can nip this devastating illness in the butt before it gets out of control.

Just in case for those that wonder or suspect game farms to be the origin of CWD. There is no evidence whatsoever that CWD has been spread by deer and elk farms to wild animals. It’s pure speculation that unfortunately has caused a lot of animosity and the lobbying of laws that would eventually outlaw game farming.

sawmill
11-04-2008, 04:10 PM
I pesonaly like T-bone in my elk and deer steaks.I use a Sawzall to slit them and a bandsaw to cut them up.Maybe that`s why I gettin' loopier:eek:

one-shot-wonder
11-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Bones are for the dogs.

Bang on Boxhitch!

If only commercial butchers took half the time and care I do when butchering I wouldn't have learned to cut it up myself....I was tired of garbage quality cuts and bone chunks in my peperoni and sausage.:mad:

I have never had a complaint from anybody from a wild animal I cut myself....most ask why I never served them game, thinking it was beef burgers we were eating.

Just ask FD how he likes his "marbled" burger he had a butcher grind last year for him.....sheesh what a good way to ruin a tasty little whitetail! I never knew you ahd to specify you wanted extra lean venison burger....

As for spinal paranoia......I do what Huntwriter does, hang and debone, I do cut through the neck spine to remove the head/antlers/cape then throw the skeleton out for the coyotes afterwards.....only thing different is I take ALL the meat of my carcass.....I like to see skinny coyotes not fat ones around my place.

Nooker77
11-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Yup I agree...take the bones out...trim the fat...band saw just smear all the stuff you dont want on your meat! I do like T bones on a big bull moose but its been a while since I had to worry about it! lol

f350ps
11-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Bone in chops will never taste the same again. I think if we quit eating all the supposedly bad chit out there we'd probably starve to death. I think I'll keep doin the same cause ya can't beat bone in chops IMHO. K

Dannybuoy
11-04-2008, 08:00 PM
I wouldnt worry about it .... I have always done mine exactly like a beef ... its all in the way it is shot , skinned and kept clean etc If CWD ever becomes an issue then I might change my view

dunbartr
11-04-2008, 08:13 PM
I agree with most - and I debone and cut-up my own meat, mostly because I know I am getting all possible use out of it that way. But I have cut chops with bone out of a few young bucks/does and they are sure tasty too!!! Just a bit of work if you don't have a band saw.

hunter1947
11-05-2008, 07:46 AM
I don't have to worry about cutting through the spine ,this is what I do so I don't have to cut through the spine.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture_1260.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=10686&ppuser=941)