PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Hunting Boots???

Green Shot
11-03-2008, 09:45 PM
It's almost the end of the season up here in Northern BC, and I am in the market for a new hunting boot. I'm looking at an Irish Setter, but to save a few dollars I am wondering if anyone has bought and warn and of the 'Cabella' branded waterproof boots? Let me know what you thought of them? Thanks!

Back at it in the spring!!
Reid

JeffR
11-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Which ones are you looking at? I have these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564-cat601926&id=0047330812617a&navCount=1&podId=0047330812617&parentId=cat601926&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

and they are pretty much what you would expect for the price. They don't have a lot of support, and don't seem that great.

Deadshot
11-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Straying just abit, but I was wondering if the Cabelas Meindls were as good as the AJ Brooks boots. They seem to be on the cheaper side.

Brizz
11-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Check here, prices are insane.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/2725_Hunting-Boots.html

Iron Glove
11-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Which ones are you looking at? I have these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564-cat601926&id=0047330812617a&navCount=1&podId=0047330812617&parentId=cat601926&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

and they are pretty much what you would expect for the price. They don't have a lot of support, and don't seem that great.

I've got the same. Good "work" boots for pounding around, wood cutting, riding the ATV, etc. but really not too comfortable for hiking all day in. A good, cheap back up maybe.
I've got small feet - size 7 and I have insulated Irish Setters from Bass Pro. They are @ $125 US or so and are superb.

JeffR
11-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Straying just abit, but I was wondering if the Cabelas Meindls were as good as the AJ Brooks boots. They seem to be on the cheaper side.

I think once you factor in duty, taxes and shipping you really don't save much. I recall a thread saying that the duty on euopean made boots is really high. And at you know you are getting a good fit when you buy them at Aj brooks in person. That is worth a lot to me.

dime
11-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I think once you factor in duty, taxes and shipping you really don't save much. I recall a thread saying that the duty on euopean made boots is really high. And at you know you are getting a good fit when you buy them at Aj brooks in person. That is worth a lot to me.

I agree but these boots that I am looking at the Alaska hunter look almost identical to the ones at AJ brooks, only half the price (on sale for $209). I can have them delivered to a mailboxes etc in Bellingham and pay $200 less than local. Tough to not pursue this option.

scoutin1
11-11-2008, 12:18 AM
I agree but these boots that I am looking at the Alaska hunter look almost identical to the ones at AJ brooks, only half the price (on sale for $209). I can have them delivered to a mailboxes etc in Bellingham and pay $200 less than local. Tough to not pursue this option.

Here's my two cents. I had a pair of Danner's for almost 12 years and last fall the sole fell apart after giving me a long waterproof and comfortable life. I maintained the hell out of them though. Cleaning after every use and using Danner's waterproofing. I was driving through Portland, OR this spring and decided to go to the Danner factory outlet and buy another pair as they still make the model I had. See the following link.

http://www.danner.com/product/hunting+boots/big+game+hunting/men%26rsquo-s-women%26rsquo-s+sierra+200g+hunting+boots.do

Unfortunately the store and the factory are not connected anymore as Danner was bought by LaCrosse and they did not have my size in stock. 11.5 EE for those that might think I wear size 16.

I was quite disappointed but had tried on a pair of Danner's (a different model) at the Cabela's store in Lacey on my way down so as I was going back up I thought I would try them again. When I got to the store an old fellow in his 60's or 70's helped me out in the shoe department. Turns out he used to work for Danner for 20 plus years in their purchasing department and when I asked him about the quality of the Cabela's Master Guide boot vs Danner he said that there is little or no difference. The majority of the Danner's are made in China or with materials sourced from China as is the Cabela's. Here is the link to the Cabela's boots I bought.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0015002811651a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=81-1651&Ntk=Products&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D%3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

I have used the boots on several long hikes over 15 k for each and they have been just as comfortable as my Danner's. Time will tell how durable they will be but so far I am very happy, especially given the $180.00 saving!

As a side note I bought full leather ankle height "light hiking" Meindls for over $300.00 in 1999 and I maintained them exactly according to the manufacturers instructions and when the leather cracked and the seams failed the store owner blamed me for the problem. 40 miles of hiking and the boots fall apart ... give me a break! His final words to me were to get the h**l out of his store and if I had a problem with the boots to return them to Germany. I felt like an idiot for buying into the idea that boots had to be heavy and all leather or they weren't proper hiking boots.

:evil: Don't ever buy anything from AJ Brooks they don't stand behind their product! :evil:

huntwriter
11-11-2008, 05:43 AM
I wear mostly LaCross boots and Cabela’s Outfitter boots. I like my boots to be all leather with cleated airbob sole.

I have my various Cabela's Outfitter (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076-cat601927&id=0058467812961a&navCount=3&podId=0058467812961&parentId=cat601927&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QX&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true) models (200 and up to 400 gram Tinsulate, waterproof) and LaCross (200 and up to 600 gram Tinsulate and waterproof) boots for close to ten years and they still look good.