PDA

View Full Version : Region 8-1 Advice

GrandA
11-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey -

This is my first year out hunting. I have been on a few day trips this year with out any luck. I am heading up to 8-1 (oliver area) for four days as I have a new hunter white tail doe draw. A few people have suggested heading to the "Camp-McKinney Road(east) area" Is there any other good spots I should be checking out? We will be mainly walking.. and learning the hard way.

thanks in advance.

winbuckhunter
11-03-2008, 05:41 PM
well al i really have to say is pay attention so sign.. there are big deer everywhere.. look a topos and just go with you gut as the where you think the deer will go during the rut to rut.. i dont hunt there but look for a spot that is at the bottom of some kind of drainage or where two/three valleys meet.. make sure there is water close by, as the deer will most likely go there for the winter months.. find what you think is a good spot, go there and go for a walk.. just look for trails and rubs.. the muleys around here have definately started rubbing..

i seem to recall you saying you have a doe tag there.. i think whitetails tend to go lower then muleys in the winter.. whitetails leave rub lines.. and muleys just rub all over.. and whitetails make scrapes and muleys dont.. so if you find a scrape ur in the whiteys..

just some thought..

winbuckhunter
11-03-2008, 05:43 PM
PS typing is kinda bad, hope you understand... lol

GrandA
11-03-2008, 06:30 PM
thanks - "rub lines and rub everywhere"?? are you referring to agaisnt trees ??

ruger#1
11-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Look for srapes on the ground . Whitetail bucks make them, west side of 8-1 is mulies east side is whitetails mulies moose elk and turkeys, check out the power lines east of oliver off the Mckinny creek road, Not to many deer but there are a few whities, you might even see some of the horses that roam all over there. Good Luck.

humble hunter
11-03-2008, 10:16 PM
go into sidley mtn road

GrandA
11-03-2008, 10:45 PM
thanks for the advice - any chance of running into a black bear on the east side?

winbuckhunter
11-03-2008, 11:35 PM
yes, rubbing is against trees. and scrapes are on the ground..

GrandA
11-03-2008, 11:47 PM
again thanks, and a clarification question as well:

In the synopsis it says white tail bag limit 1, mule deer bag limit 1. If I have incredible luck and run into a doe white tail and harvest it, then run into a mulie buck am I allowed to harvest it as well... ?
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0809/docs/Region_8.pdf

tracker
11-04-2008, 06:23 AM
for sure you can ,but then you are done .try to take bucks though:smile:

ruger#1
11-04-2008, 10:25 AM
It has to be a four point mulie buck only.

GrandA
11-04-2008, 06:21 PM
cool, ill keep you posted when i get back on how we did