PDA

View Full Version : power engineering course fourth class

ruger#1
09-16-2005, 09:15 PM
hey some one want to do this course for me so i can go hunting, im starting to miss the woods and the smell of gun powder, campfires and pinetrees.

Steeleco
09-16-2005, 09:22 PM
No that's OK thanks, I hate school always did always will, even when I'm at work getting updates or refreshers I hate it. Besides your being in school gives the rest of us a chance!!!!

ruger#1
09-16-2005, 10:17 PM
its also keeping me out of tim hortins.

Thunderstix
09-16-2005, 11:21 PM
If you don't mind failing I will gladly do it for you.:)

Gateholio
09-16-2005, 11:51 PM
What is power enginerring?:smile:

ruger#1
09-17-2005, 04:59 AM
power engineering is saftey codes, running boilers, refridgeration, and as the instructor put it a certificate to print money. it will alow me to run boilers for heating and food production. lots of math, saftey codes, first aid. i will be able to take charge of a shift in a power plant having a capacity of not more than 5000 KW, as shift engineer.it is keeping me out of the woods, that will keep all the tree huggers happy. lots of luck hunting peoples.

huntersdad
09-17-2005, 05:32 AM
Hey
Talk to Elkster. I think he already wrote his tickets.hahah
I was half way through my 4th class when my daughter was born and had a hard time finding time to finish after that. The 4th class ticket may help you get a job in industries like Pulp and Paper or Refineries but a 3rd class ticket is preferred. I know lots of guys with their 3rd class and they all have good jobs. The 2nd class is required for Most pulp and paper mill sized plants to be a Shift Engineer. The 1st class ticket is the hardest one to get.

Marc
09-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Well I'm also back in school doing a network administrative course for the military at Comosun College in Victoria. It's unreal how little I actually new about windows 2000 professional.:confused: I've got an exam on monday after going throught the whole manual last week. 3 chapters a day and my mind is about to explode.

Next week I get to do it all again but this time its with Unix.

Marc.

Gateholio
09-17-2005, 12:32 PM
power engineering is saftey codes, running boilers, refridgeration, and as the instructor put it a certificate to print money. it will alow me to run boilers for heating and food production. lots of math, saftey codes, first aid. i will be able to take charge of a shift in a power plant having a capacity of not more than 5000 KW, as shift engineer.it is keeping me out of the woods, that will keep all the tree huggers happy. lots of luck hunting peoples.

Do you actually have to do stuff, or just walk around with a clipboard?:razz:

Why is it such a good cash maker?:???:

huntersdad
09-17-2005, 01:02 PM
Hey
4th classs ticketed job in Pulp and paper.......$60000
3rd " " " " " " " .......$75000
management level
2nd " " " " " " " ......$90000
1st ......$100000+

these are realistic numbers in a union shop. I believe a power generating plant would be similar.

ruger#1
09-17-2005, 04:17 PM
no you have to do maitenence, water tests, you can run a heating boiler at a school or hospital and still do janitorial work. i run a boiler at a feed mill and im still doing maitence and running hammer mills , extruders, shipping receiving, lab testing. when you do a class 4, you cannot do a class2 unless you have done a class 3, i havent been in school for almost 20 years and the algerbra is realy getting to me, im going to have to get a math tutor.

huntersdad
09-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Hey
stick with it. Another good course to have is either Waste water treatment or Water treatment. They lead to good paying positions. Everybody needs water to drink and they always flush thier problems away.hahahahaha

ruger#1
09-17-2005, 04:42 PM
well im home now, im going to take my two german shorthairs, my 20g, and go look for some grouse. at least ill get a little bit of hunting, hey gatehouse the instuctor said there is no reason a person with a boiler ticket should be out of work, so if your looking for different work or another job in bc this would do it. they are looking for class 4 boiler operators in pg kelowna and the kootenys, a few years back they wanted one in the columbia brewing company, awsome job lot hunting and lots of beer. lots of posibilities if you have a ticket, and im going to do it if it puts me in my grave.

Steeleco
09-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Someone tell me how to adapt my being an Aircraft mech into one of these trades and I'm in. I'd love to live in the cariboo but nobody up ther has a 767 that need fixing. Keep your head down Mark, it'll be over before you know it!!

huntersdad
09-17-2005, 06:27 PM
Hey
The only fast track way to do it is to challenge the 4th and that is if you have the firing time working on or around a fired pressure vessel not just a accumulator. or you can go to BCIT and enter into the Power Engineering Course. In two years you come out with a 3rd. Instant job. If you can get one, there is some openings in Gas turbine fired power plants. Most require a trade and a 2nd or 3rd. You seem like a natural Steeleco

ruger#1
09-17-2005, 07:33 PM
hey huntersdad, ive ran three cleaver brooks boilers at one feed mill i worked at, and the one i work at now is a 150 psi dobi boiler. have about 8 years experience with boilers. i also have the fire time or more then that. they had me set up for a fift class,three times then put such a work load on me that i couldnt find time to break wind. now is the time for me to break wind and fly.

huntersdad
09-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Hey
I feel your pain brother. Its hard to juggle work, school and actually have a life too.

ruger#1
09-18-2005, 06:12 AM
well i didnt get out yesterday and it looks like im going to work today, oh well at least my bank account will be a little bigger this time, instead of being in the - it should be in the +. well im going back to bed and wait for the phone call.

ruger#1
09-18-2005, 07:35 PM
seen a coyote on the way to work this morning. wow now im working six days a week and going to school to make it seven, what a wasted hunting season. oh well i have to many antlers, running out of walls to hang them.

Gateholio
09-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Sounds ike a good trade to have!

While I wouldn't mind relocating a little further north, I'm not really lookign for another line of work.;)

Executive chefs don't get paid chump change,either..:grin:

BlacktailStalker
09-20-2005, 10:16 AM
My old man did all that, He's a first class engineer. I remember some of the questions he had to do, 8 page long answers that take several hours just to complete. Good luck with that. lol