PDA

View Full Version : Sylvester road ptII

Steeleco
11-03-2008, 09:58 AM
In an effort to increase turnout, Scottish Warrior is already schedualing the next clean up day. If you've got the time, the help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone in the scrap metal business, might even make a few bucks!!

I think it is best to get this booked ASAP, strike when the iron is hot and all that, so here goes.

When: Saturday November 29th

Where: Meet at the gas station on the corner of Lougheed and Sylvester at 10AM (leave at 10:15)

Details:

There are 2 areas I would like to tackle;

1. The smaller area immediately past and on the right of our first site. This site is a total disgrace; it’s littered with several larges pieces (the usual things), a mountain of shotgun shells and a bunch of random garbage. The good news is that the area is well contained and there are some really deep holes and lots or loose sand and rock. I estimate that a crew of 15 can have this area done in around 4 hours. I had a real good walk around it on my way out last Saturday; it’s comparable to the first site we “transformed”. Let’s call this area Baby Baghdad (not very original I know) just to make it easier when we are talking about the two places.

2. The so called Little Iraq and surrounding area. Wow this is a big area and it seems like there is crap on every square inch of it. There is a LOT of scrap metal here, a LOT. There is also just a ton of random garbage in the surrounding woods. We will unlikely be able to completely clean up Little Iraq and the surrounding area in a day unless we get a massive turnout; regardless we will make a huge dent in it.

The Plan:

Let’s divide into 2 groups this time for sure. Those with trucks and trailers will be much more useful at Little Iraq; we will only need a couple of trailers to clean up Baby Baghdad.

I need to sort out a couple of things before hand, mainly:

Can we get a (or some) scrap metal container(s) for the day? Are we going to be able to get the use of a Bob Cat or other equipment?

If not, and I don’t want to assume anything yet, we can still accomplish a lot!

If we get a container we will (obviously) put as much metal as we can in it and fill the trucks and trailers with bagged garbage.
If we DON’T manage to get a container I propose that we ALL concentrate on filling the trucks and trailers first thing. Have the trucks and trailers do a run to the scrap metal recycle depot (the one steeleco went to in Mission) while the rest of us remain and bag and burn garbage. We would need to give the recycle depot a heads up for sure. When the trucks return we can begin load them with bagged garbage or more metal depending.

I want to clarify this now so it’s not a concern on the day of the cleanup. If anyone with a truck is concerned about the fuel costs I will cover. I offered to pay the dumping fees last time and it was not necessary (thanks guys!) Asking a truck and trailer to make 2 trips between Little Iraq and Mission is not my place and I will be happy pay for the incremental fuel. It will be tough for me to remember to offer everyone so please don’t hesitate to ask me if the gas for the return trip is in any way an issue.

Lessons learned from our first cleanup.

We need more wheel barrels! Please bring one if you can.
Raking the “burnable crap” into lots of little piles and using the wheel barrel to move it really worked well.

Propellant. With everything so wet starting a really hot fire took a while……… we need more fuel so we can get a big fire faster and easier. Thank goodness the organized fox44 had some gas last time or we might still be trying to get a fire going. Between all of us let’s bring a few gallons this time. Less time babying the fire and more time burning!

Participants from round one: please add anything I may have overlooked or forgotten about in this thread please.

Steeleco – Can you please post this on HBC
Easy C - Can you please post this on BC4X4 and Crawlin BC.

EVERYONE: Please indicate your intent on participating in round 2 by posting in this thread!

Looking forward to seeing all of you!

BB

Cowboy_08
11-04-2008, 10:10 PM
This maybe a stupid question but I am guessing you are talking about cleaning up the area where everyone goes shooting and leaves there crap everywhere ?

Steeleco
11-04-2008, 11:38 PM
That would be the place!! Ya commin?

Cowboy_08
11-05-2008, 10:03 AM
No problem brother i'll be out there any little bit to help show the tree huggers out there that we're not all bad is a great thing, plus maybe it will initiate others to start carrying out what they carry in. My wife said she will come and lend a hand as well and she is 6 months pregnant and new to the game so noone else should have an excuse lol

Scottish Warrior
11-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Glad to have you Cowboy.

I hope a few more form this site can make it. We really need the help.

SW

Steeleco
11-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Welcome back SW, how's the hunting?

We sure could use the help, if your not hunting (an close enough!) you may as well show up, was hard work and lots of fun at the same time.

NIHunter
11-20-2008, 11:12 PM
this scottish guy willl be there

Steeleco
11-20-2008, 11:22 PM
this scottish guy willl be there

Great this ex-brit will be out numbered!! :shock::shock: See you there!!

TIKA 300
11-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Will see whats happening on the 29th(coho season still if you know where to look),might make it out for a bit ....:razz:

Mr. Dean
11-21-2008, 01:22 AM
You guyz know how to plan em..... Once again, I'll beez huntin'.

abbyfireguy
11-21-2008, 11:32 AM
If my 6 day stay in the hospital ends by the I'll be there for sure..I put out fires for a living but have been know start a feel ggod CAMPFIRE as well!!:mrgreen:
I have a truck and tools to bring..

tank_79
11-25-2008, 12:56 PM
hey i have a 50 gall drum of old stove oil or carosene im not to sure what it is but i have been using it to start fires at my place ill be hunting this weekend but am willing to donate fule to the fire just pm me

Lone Ranger
11-25-2008, 01:22 PM
I won't be able to make it, but up the Lost Mundro Lake (sp?) turn off (first right 1/2 km from pavement) about 1 or 2 switchbacks up there is a large pile of grow-op soil and another pile containing a blue barrel and propane bottles scattered. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE BARRELS as there may be toxic chemicals from meth labs, but this needs to be cleaned up. I know a local RCMP officer (Conky) from Quads.ca who usually deals with this, and I will notify him and give him the pics I took of it this morning. Some minor garbage scattered in pull outs up to about the 3 km mark on this road. LR

Steeleco
11-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the advice LR. That road is rather fugly, so I'm not sure we'd be up there anyway. I've been up there and know what you mean.

TIKA 300
11-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Cant make it on saturday,have to work !!!

Steeleco
11-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Well in short we got SOAKED!!! It was hard work but again we had a good time. Thanks to all that did show, and maybe when we do a spring PT3 more of us HBC'ers will come out. BTW some forgot a shovel, I have it, drop me a PM if your missing it.
First sight:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/HBC%20hosted%20pics/image0103.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/HBC%20hosted%20pics/image0092.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/HBC%20hosted%20pics/image0081.jpg
Work in progress.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/HBC%20hosted%20pics/image0125.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/HBC%20hosted%20pics/image0114.jpg

The result. This was the only pit we had time, tools or manpower for, but it all helps.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/HBC%20hosted%20pics/image0136.jpg

The gang!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/HBC%20hosted%20pics/image0147.jpg

I myself would like to thank all the gang, but especially "adamhome" who showed up with the BIG Bjebus flat deck to haul all the metal away.
And one other fellow from a 4x4 site, He and his daughter came down from Ktown to see ACDC last night and made the time to stop by and help. He also hauled away about a dozen bags of crap. :shock:
So if your a member of the same site and know the fellow, please pass along my thanks.

huntcoop
11-30-2008, 12:10 AM
Looked like a dump before you folks got in there, nice work.

tikkat3
11-30-2008, 11:40 AM
ya guys awesome work. I live in the neighborhood, I should've read this thread earlier and I would have come to help

Scottish Warrior
11-30-2008, 03:43 PM
It was a wet nasty day..........thanks to all who showed up!

That flatbed was a godsend.............anyone have a Bobcat to load it for next time :razz::razz::razz::razz::razz:

Scottish Warrior
11-30-2008, 03:44 PM
ya guys awesome work. I live in the neighborhood, I should've read this thread earlier and I would have come to help

We will be doing more cleanups in the spring........stay tuned.

TIKA 300
11-30-2008, 07:56 PM
You guys rock ..... Nice Job.:razz:

Sorry i couldnt make it ,worked until 6 laying a laminate floor and am still not finished.:mad:

Alex
12-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Good stuff guys!

Way to dispel the stigma of hunters not caring about the environment. I was away on training for the last four months but I'll be there next time with my truck and whatever I can bring.

A thought for next time: Have a big 4X8 sign at a nearby intersection indicating that Hunting BC members are in the area cleaning up our forest. Just to bring awareness to the community about who we are and maybe change some misconceptions and even convert a few to the wonderful world of hunting!

Alex