PDA

View Full Version : Found 4 dead moose just left on side of road

kgriz
11-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Easy now, that would be on the highway while working.:razz: I would suggest that if some of the budget used for busting some poor sucker for a moose with 1 extra point an inch long was used for Right-of-way maintainance and widening, we would prob. save more moose. I'm sure anybody who travels a lot up north would agree that it seems a little silly to scream about every moose found accidently shot when you see 50 or more on the side of the road every winter. They had the perfect avenue in the Prince George district to widen all of the Right-of -ways when they removed the beetle timber along the power-lines and highways but they were so concerned that somebody might make a little money on the spruce and Fir that it was left. Rules could have been changed or relaxed a little to solve a huge problem of poor wildlife visibility. At least when a moose is accidentally shot no innocent families die in their vehicles.

elkdom
11-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Stupidity starts at the TOP ! Ministry of Highways, MOE, Regional Districts, first you build a highway, then you make it a No Hunting Zone, then you seed the shoulders of the road with tasty grass and clover and alfalfa, then several months of year you add lots of SALT to attract BIG GAME to the NO SHOOTING ZONE (highway corridors) yep! stupid comes from the TOP!!!!

kgriz
11-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Couldn't agree with you more. The big picture is often overlooked.:shock:

elkdom
11-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Couldn't agree with you more. The big picture is often overlooked.:shock:

There are NO BIG PICTURES ! for a SMALL BRAIN ! alone in large office OUT of the PUBLIC EYE ! dead and injured people, millions of dollars paid out by ICBC, rediculous antler restrictions!!!
( BUMPERS DO NOT COUNT POINTS BEFORE CONTACT!! ) and lastly wasted big game animals by the hundreds every year in BC !!

kgriz
11-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Sounds like we would get along just fine.......if you ever need any info in my neck of the woods ( PG) give me a shout. Or anywhere else for that matter, unlike many, I'm usually willing to give out some pretty specific info....my work takes me to many great spots province-wide and these days I can't get to them all.:razz:

elkdom
11-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Sounds like we would get along just fine.......if you ever need any info in my neck of the woods ( PG) give me a shout. Or anywhere else for that matter, unlike many, I'm usually willing to give out some pretty specific info....my work takes me to many great spots province-wide and these days I can't get to them all.:razz:

Sounds good, WE can get out check all the best road kill locations, just like the BEVERLY HILLBILLIES ! get us some GRITTS, and ROAD PIZZA!

boxhitch
11-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I bet you guys are doing your part by travelling the highways at 10 kph under the posted speed limit at night ?

boxhitch
11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Stupidity starts at the TOP
Or the loose nut behind the wheel.

elkdom
11-02-2008, 07:16 PM
I bet you guys are doing your part by travelling the highways at 10 kph under the posted speed limit at night ?

Matter of fact at nite I generally do, and extra care in areas I know are high in game collisions, saddly in this part of BC most traffic is doing about 140 kmh where its posted 100 kmh, and most of the game hits/kills are oil patch traffic equipped with HUGE (moose masher) bumpers,some of the drivers in fact have bets on how many moose, deer, elk they can kill every winter! A big HA HA for some morons you know!

kgriz
11-02-2008, 07:17 PM
As a matter of fact my partner and I travel on highways and logging roads so much that unlike most, we have made a point of not speeding.....
Our work truck has about 420 000 kms on it ( a f350 2001 deisel) and we've only had to change the ball-joints twice. If you know what you're talking about you would see that this pretty much verifies my statement.;-)

elkdom
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
As a matter of fact my partner and I travel on highways and logging roads so much that unlike most, we have made a point of not speeding.....
Our work truck has about 420 000 kms on it ( a f350 2001 deisel) and we've only had to change the ball-joints twice. If you know what you're talking about you would see that this pretty much verifies my statement.;-)

Me Too 75 / 80,000 klms a year, mostly secondary winter roads, GMC 4x4 extra cab ,
no critter hairs on my grill ! of coarse I prefer to bugle in my elk, not mash him with my truck!

Steeleco
11-02-2008, 07:27 PM

I'd hazard a guess the the damage done at 50kmh is not far less than 60kmh. That said these accidents happen in daylight hours too. The last time I was in PG, just south of Red Rock a B train filled with King crab hit a moose, what a mess. The locals did good mind you, free crab all over the place!!

kgriz
11-02-2008, 07:29 PM
well said..........Try driving 10 kmph under the speed limit and see how fast you would cause an accident! Obviously not too many chip-trucks or logging trucks down south!

elkdom
11-02-2008, 07:30 PM
I'd hazard a guess the the damage done at 50kmh is not far less than 60kmh. That said these accidents happen in daylight hours too. The last time I was in PG, just south of Red Rock a B train filled with King crab hit a moose, what a mess. The locals did good mind you, free crab all over the place!!

I like ALASKA KING CRAB and MOOSE PATE', kind smells like VICTORY! lmao

boxhitch
11-02-2008, 07:36 PM
I knew I could guess right about you guys.

saddly in this part of BC most traffic is doing about 140 kmh where its posted 100 kmh, and most of the game hits/kills are oil patch traffic equipped with HUGE (moose masher) bumpers,
The reason for my post. I travelled south from Watson Lk , at near the speed limit and almost felt like a hazard for the speeders. Really came clear the closer I got to Kamloops, in the evening. Lots of transports racing like they were headed for last call.
I run a mountain road, up and down to work. and can get three years out of front brakes on a 3/4t diesel p/u w/auto trans. I swear some of the regulars can only get 1/2 yr out of brakes, the constant brakelights attest.

Nalidixic
11-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Stupidity starts at the TOP ! Ministry of Highways, MOE, Regional Districts, first you build a highway, then you make it a No Hunting Zone, then you seed the shoulders of the road with tasty grass and clover and alfalfa, then several months of year you add lots of SALT to attract BIG GAME to the NO SHOOTING ZONE (highway corridors) yep! stupid comes from the TOP!!!!

Nice point of view. Never thought of it that way.

Nalid

cariboobill
11-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Hey Boys:

In my opinion the bottom line is the Ministry of Transportation and other government agencies should meet with local BCWF groups, hunters etc..to get some input on the effect of government work. I live in an area where vehicles kill many animals every day on Highway 97. I am also a bird watcher and find more falcons and other species killed each year on Hwy 97 by vehicles near my home.

Need something to fix the problem.......