PDA

View Full Version : Moose calf antlers ?

boxhitch
11-02-2008, 05:47 AM
The post about the small Moose antlers has me questioning-
Has anyone else seen and/or photo'd a moose that is definately a calf, under 12 months in age, that has visible exposed antlers ?
I have seen a fair share of moose, and no calf that I have seen has had antler of any sort. Yearlings, for sure. But I will be looking closer now.

happygilmore
11-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Two years ago I was glassing a calf that had about 2 1/2 inch nubs stuck to his head but they were still covered in fur! the regs say visible bone?

hunter1947
11-02-2008, 06:46 AM
I have seen a few calf moose as well with velvet covering the bone ,but I have never seen bone exsposed with antlers this small

11-02-2008, 08:04 AM
I have talked to 2 very experienced COs and a wildlife biologist - none of them had seen, or heard of, a calf with antlers. Calves with velvety/fur covered numbs, yes. Antlers - no.

Nimrod
11-02-2008, 08:11 AM
"Buck or Bull

- with reference to deer,

moose, or elk means one bearing visible bony

antlers. Buck or Bull - with reference to
caribou, means a male 1 year of age or over,

bearing visible bony antlers."

I never could understand this statement? as it's under general definitions. if you take it as is ...what you can't shoot any animal in velvet?
this general definition is not specific to the definition of a spike fork moose?

NaStY
11-02-2008, 08:16 AM
"Buck or Bull
- with reference to deer,

moose, or elk means one bearing visible bony

antlers. Buck or Bull - with reference to
caribou, means a male 1 year of age or over,

bearing visible bony antlers."

I never could understand this statement? as it's under general definitions. if you take it as is ...what you can't shoot any animal in velvet?
this general definition is not specific to the definition of a spike fork moose?

There now i can read it. This was already discussed in another thread. He was just asking if anyone had seen one.....

11-02-2008, 09:38 AM
I have never seen a moose calf with visible boney antlers.

Ambush
11-02-2008, 09:46 AM
NOPE! Not boney antlers.

GoatGuy
11-02-2008, 10:02 AM
The post about the small Moose antlers has me questioning-
Has anyone else seen and/or photo'd a moose that is definately a calf, under 12 months in age, that has visible exposed antlers ?
I have seen a fair share of moose, and no calf that I have seen has had antler of any sort. Yearlings, for sure. But I will be looking closer now.

Just nubs and balls.

KodiakHntr
11-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Saw one last year, 3 or 4 inch visible bony antlers with the velvet hanging off....(although it was mid november...)

Everett
11-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Saw one this year with almost three inch exsposed bone antler definatly a calf still with his mom and half her size with a stubby nose.

boxhitch
11-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I have talked to 2 very experienced COs and a wildlife biologist - none of them had seen, or heard of, a calf with antlers. Calves with velvety/fur covered numbs, yes. Antlers - no.Thats the drift I get also. Talked to a couple of guys that believed what they saw was a calf, when their description says Yearling to me.
Yearlings may stay close to mommas too, families are tight for awhile.
I'm thinking all the BS on Marks thread is more hyperbole than sensable discussion. 'What if....."

Everett
11-02-2008, 07:45 PM
This is a picture of another calf I saw this year
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2008_1018oct180032.JPG

11-02-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm thinking all the BS on Marks thread is more hyperbole than sensable discussion. 'What if....."

I agree. I am beginning to think that, practically speaking, it is not really an issue.

mark
11-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I agree. I am beginning to think that, practically speaking, it is not really an issue.

It may not be a common thing, as Ive never seen one either, but it does happen so it is an issue that should get resolved. As I mentioned my buddy and his 17 year old son were very close and 100% sure of what they saw.

On a different note, lets think about this???? the def. for bull says exposed bone, so what about all the bulls that get shot in velvet in august???? All poached as I read the regs!!!!:roll:

boxhitch
11-02-2008, 09:54 PM
On a different note, lets think about this???? the def. for bull says exposed bone, so what about all the bulls that get shot in velvet in august???? All poached as I read the regs!!!!:roll:
It just keeps getting deeper. good point, I guess

Mtn Man
11-02-2008, 09:58 PM
I once was hunting north of george on aleh bull hunt and ran across a fellow who had just shot a calf fork horn about 4 inch long, 1 inch tines, definatley a calf, cause mamma moose had triplets and they all had the same antler growth, all clean polished bone. I helped the fellow load it into his truck maybe 200- 250lbs. Until that last thread fom mark never even questioned the legality of it. I probably would of taken one of those myself as they were not to far off, but had bull draw and was looking for something bigger. You don't suppose they were from the year before and were just extra small because they were triplets, couldn't imagine them surviving the winter.

phearless
11-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Looks like visible exposed bone on that calf to me.

Still not sure if it would instill the confidence in me to squeeze though.