PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss Advice

BearSniper
11-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Ok, I need some opinions re: really upgrading my Binoculars.

The wife is hinting at a "kitchen pass" to spend some serious coin on Zeiss Binoculars. This may even morph into some kind of Christmas present.:roll:

Right now I'm using Nikon 15x 40's, and I suppose they're ok, but I've been meeting quite a few hunters in the bush theses days and many have Zeiss binoculars around their necks. Seems they might know something I don't.

For those of you that use Zeiss, help me out with a few points on why you like them so much.

thanks

BearSniper

The Dawg
11-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Excellent idea...I got a set of Conquests last year for xmas from the wife.

The main reason I love them is the clarity. I used to have a pair of Bushnell's and the difference is like night and day. They have definately made identification in low light much easier, and it cleans up everything so much better.

Go to a hunting store and try them out...you will love them.

Gateholio
11-01-2008, 10:20 PM
If you want to spend lots of $$$ on bonos, do yourself a favour and compare the Big 3 next to each other, find the one that suits your eye the best.

All of them are very good, I prefer the Liecas.

BearSniper
11-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Thank you fellas.

I'll try that

Brambles
11-01-2008, 10:46 PM
The way I figured it was I"d be happy what any of the big 3, the Zeiss I was able to get as a 2 day demo trade show set and they still had full zeiss lifetime warranty. All the other demo bino's from the other big 2 had some sort of reduced warranty. Zeiss customer service is suppose to be one of the better ones, I could actually get a better price on Leica's but google revieled some customer service concerns and stuck in the back of my mind, that combined with only a 10 year warranty on the demo's eventually weeded them out.

Plus
I already had a Zeiss spotting scope and I wanted to keep the glass the same so I didn't have to adjust from different colors and temperature of glass when going from spotter to bino's and reverse.

BCbillies
11-01-2008, 10:58 PM
I can't speak for the warrantees of the other big names...however I posted ealier this year with regards to Zeiss. I dropped my Zeiss and broke the lens and explained that it was due to my negligence. They fixed them promptly with no questions asked! Like others have said...the best way is to test run them all and it will become apparent which glass are suited for you. I was fortunate to borrow a friends and use them on a hunt.

Spitzer
11-02-2008, 09:52 AM
I have Zeiss Victory 8x42T*FL and they are the sharpest brightest binoculars I've looked through. Zeiss holds the top spot in all birding reviews.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/8x42.html

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/Winter2005/Age_Binos.html

http://betterviewdesired.com/Zeiss-Victory-8x42-TFL-Binocular.php

smoke-eater
11-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Has anyone tried the Zeiss rangefinder bino?? is it good or a heavy brick?? Im looking at getting new binos too and really like my zeiss scope..

Tuffcity
11-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I have a pair of Zeiss 7 X 42 Dialyt. Excellent bino's, especially in low light situations. I had the same experience as BCbillies, dropped mine on the deck of a boat and ganked the eye piece. They were fixed with no issue- took awhile to get them back but they are as new again.

RC

Bowzone_Mikey
11-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Friend of mine has a Zeiss conquest ... his dog chewed the heck out of them .... Zeiss replaced them on warrantee no questions asked

Thats great service

Chuck
11-03-2008, 07:04 PM
I agree with their ability in low light. I've had mine now for about 12 years and everyone who compares them, agree that they outdo their own in that respect at least. I also considered weight when choosing, and my Zeiss were the lightest by far of any other, but I've never found another model quite as light since. Maybe a one off? Mine are 8X30B MC and I just love them. Made in Hungary and are fibreglass bodied. I've never had a problem with them and I don't baby them either. Just my 10 cents. Inflation you know.

lunatic
11-03-2008, 09:47 PM
If you want to spend lots of $$$ on bonos, do yourself a favour and compare the Big 3 next to each other, find the one that suits your eye the best.

All of them are very good, I prefer the Liecas.

I can't agree more. Just like vehicles, quads, or anything else, find the price range you want to spend then find what YOU like. You are the one using them. I also preferred the Leicas.

jwe63
11-03-2008, 11:09 PM
I use Leica binos, a Zeiss conquest scope, and a Zeiss 85mm spotting scope. Love em all. They will last you and your kids a lifetime. A joy to use all of them. Just make sure the size is right for the binos. I love the 10x20 mm with a bino buddy. Don't even feel it there. Everything in crisp focus from 30 ft to infinity. Get waterproof, rubber armored ones too.