PDA

View Full Version : Another animal as target practice

curt
11-01-2008, 11:19 AM
I spent of few quick days in region 320 looking to fill a moose draw on the outside chance of any immature bulls left around. Came across this small little lake with swampy meadows just off cut block. Seen a bunch of ravens 50yrds of the road decided to take a quick look. There nicely hidden under a bunch of logs just off the road was a beautiful 3x5 bull moose. Now this animal was far too big to be mistaken for an immature so all i have to say is , if by chance the guy that shot this animal visits this site you are a peice of SH** and dont deserve the right to be in our back country. I'd love to catch one of you jerks pulling a stunt like that!!

Wolfman
11-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Right on, man. Those guys are unworthy to own a rifle or be allowed out in the bush. I hope they get what's comin to them.

Wolfman

Kye
11-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Is it possible that it was freshly shot and left to return to pick it up? was it gutted?

curt
11-01-2008, 01:46 PM
no it was not gutted and had been there for quite some time the back end was eaten by something bigger than a raven i would say a week anyway!!

ElkMasterC
11-01-2008, 01:57 PM
That's a shame.....a damn shame, and a reason (in part ) why we can't have a GOS on moose.
At least you can report it. The more info the Co's have, the more they can put together (ideally).

wolverine
11-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Yeah, here's to wishing they get caught but if they do the penalty isn't big enough IMO. Go for a civil forfeiture on the vehicle and the house. Put that loser out of business permenantly.

ThisIsLiving
11-01-2008, 03:20 PM
thats the second one ive heard of in two weeks in 3-20.... the one me and my buddy saw which was a big bull left to rott now this one... thats horrible.... was it up montey hills??? george creek area..... ??

hunter1947
11-01-2008, 04:21 PM
It takes all kinds and the idiots that did this are not hunters ,they belong in a cage where they can't do this kind of thing to other animals http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif.

curt
11-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Hey ya I remember reading one from 320 last week too this was up in behind dardenels lake area not sure but could be montey hills area

Laurence_Erickson
11-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I looked at the very same bull curt . It is a shame as my brotherinlaw and I spent all last week trying to fill his bull draw for there.after seeing eighteen cows we managed to find a small 3x4 on the last morning .I have been told about five different moose in that same area ,shot and left .something needs to be done for sure.

Nimrod
11-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Makes me sick.
With the number of moose that end up like this, I'm for all moose to go onto the limited entry. Even up north, I'm sure there's a lot of moose shot in error in the 3 on the brow,10 point regions.
Moose are to precious to allow their numbers to be raped by people with no right having a tag.

ROM
11-02-2008, 08:49 AM
As long as its not any bull there is going to be things like this hapen. 10% of hunters have no respect, skill, or understanding how much this hurts everyone. I would rather see LEH any bull than have this. Just my 2c.

R

Big7
11-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Putting a stop to a GOS on moose across the province and having LEH only isn't going to stop idiots from being idiots. I have only recieved 2 LEH draws in 14 or so years and I rely on moose meat to feed my family for the year. GOS's have enabled me to do that. People need to buck up and be a man...if you make an HONEST mistake, own up to it, report yourself and move on.

Jelvis
11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Mu 3-20 Monte Lake for some strange reason has had stories of bull mooose found dead and left to rot. Why that particular mu 3-20?
I know it's right on the boundary of Reg 8 so I'm guessing poachers can go either way out, giving a sense of escapability.
Towards the Okanagan towns, or Salmon Arm out towards Douglas Lake to Merritt and also north so it is a big area well known for deer and moose.
Also the area gets some atttention for using the stuffed three point moose by the game dept.
It would be great to figure all this out and know a way to help stop this waste of so much good meat.
If you do use RAPP they can use a magnet and find the bullets and record and save the caliber and rifling from the projectile to reference a point to connect with a particular rifle and it's barrel rifling. imho.
Personally I found one dead mooose an (antlerless) in the eighties in Reg 7 that was dead in the bush.
Let's come up with vays to help stop this from happening so all that meat isn't wasted.
Jel-not-good-to hear this stuff for sure.

swampdonkey
11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
thats 3 that i know of now my dad found 1 in the dardnells area 2 weeks ago 4x3

Dannybuoy
11-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Mu 3-20 Monte Lake for some strange reason has had stories of bull mooose found dead and left to rot. Why that particular mu 3-20?
I know it's right on the boundary of Reg 8 so I'm guessing poachers can go either way out, giving a sense of escapability.
Towards the Okanagan towns, or Salmon Arm out towards Douglas Lake to Merritt and also north so it is a big area well known for deer and moose.
Also the area gets some atttention for using the stuffed three point moose by the game dept.
It would be great to figure all this out and know a way to help stop this waste of so much good meat.
If you do use RAPP they can use a magnet and find the bullets and record and save the caliber and rifling from the projectile to reference a point to connect with a particular rifle and it's barrel rifling. imho.
Personally I found one dead mooose an (antlerless) in the eighties in Reg 7 that was dead in the bush.
Let's come up with vays to help stop this from happening so all that meat isn't wasted.
Jel-not-good-to hear this stuff for sure.
3-20 's does have alot of moose and now that it has been logged so heavy due to the pine beetle it has alot of hunters looking to bag one as well . I just spent 5 days there and talking to a local rancher that was rounding up strays he also added that the natives are having an easier time getting their moose with all the open terrain .... although they do wait untill there is a few feet of snow and run them down with snow mobiles .... but thats another topic ...:sad:

curt
11-02-2008, 02:14 PM
This is exactly why i think an open season may help with this crap at least if there was some kind of a season then these animals wouldnt be a complete waste??? I dont know I just dont understand how anyone could do that and look themsevles in the mirror and like what they see it's just a real damn shame is all I can say

coach
11-02-2008, 03:26 PM
I found one about a month ago in 3-12, which I reported both on this website and to the local CO (through the RAPP line). The CO called me, asked for details and then went out and examined the animal. At that time, there had been 4 moose shot and left in the Kelowna area that had been reported. Apparently, 3 of the people who killed these animals had been caught because of people reporting information. I have no idea if the person responsible for the animal that I found has been caught, but it is important that we all report incidents like this when we come across them.

Jelvis
11-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Cut the spike/fork all together in Region 3 and go to leh any bull, that would make it impossible for someone to make a mistake. It will reduce the leh cuz of breeding bulls tho. If this is happening as much as your saying.
Just like talking about others scoping you or you feel unsafe walking by a road during hunting season cuz you might be a deer instead, will bring on the mandatory blaze orange--I can see it coming. lol. Get it c u coming?
All leh and blaze orange---how does that make you feel?
Jelly-Blazing saddles.

boxhitch
11-02-2008, 04:39 PM
All leh and blaze orange---how does that make you feel?

Sick Jel.
Its unreasonable to think we can do something about this so called waste, without knowing the reason for the kills happening in the first place.
Bad judgement ?
Poor ethics ?
Sheer shitzengiggles ?
Why legislate all for the sake of a few ?
The number of wasted animals is small compared to the legal harvest, or FN harvest, or Vehicle collisions, or train collisions or natural mortality.

that would make it impossible for someone to make a mistake.
Why take the oppurtunity away from Joe Hunter for a legal kill ?
To so-called 'save' a wasted animal or two ? Bad idea.

boxhitch
11-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Moose are to precious to allow their numbers to be raped by people with no right having a tag.If someone is intent on killing a moose, no law in the land will prevent it. Laws are in place and the killing goes on.

So now the suggestion is out to take away MY chance at a legal GOS harvest, to possibly give my chance to someone that may otherwise have a shoot-first-count-points-later ethic ? Warped

coach
11-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Boxhitch, I'm with you on this one. I like the fact that in years that I don't get lucky enough to draw an LEH, I can still hunt moose. Since this is going to be most years, I want to protect my ability to hunt.

The rules are simple to understand but it obviously isn't always easy to identify points in the field. This year, I photographed a legal bull 6 days before the season opened and my hunting partner and I passed up on two that MAY have been legal during the season. We passed because one bull looked like a 3 x 2 while it was running away - not an ethical time to make a judgement call. The other was spotted at first light and 99% sure wasn't good enough. Although frustrating, because we didn't get a moose this year, it's still great that we had an opportunity to hunt moose in our area.

coach
11-02-2008, 06:29 PM
The problem is not the spike/fork rule. People shooting before they are 100% sure is. Most of us hunt during the 4 point deer season, so we should all be used to checking the animal before pulling the trigger. Antler restrictions should make us safer in the bush, because guys are supposed to take their time and use their binoculars or spotting scopes to ensure they are looking at a legal animal before putting their gun on it.

We have all heard of examples of guys taking their time, being sure that they are shooting a legal animal, then finding out that the moose had a previously hidden spike that made it not legal. Apparently, a guy in the Vernon area shot one that looked like it was 3 x 2, but it had a tine sticking straight forward, parallel to the nose that was impossible to see. The guy reported himself and the CO's had to confiscate the animal. These things sometimes happen and are unfortunate incidents - but these are not the incidents guys are reporting on this site.

The bull I found in 3-12 had 5 points pers side. Another guy reported an 8x8 in 3-20. These "mistakes" have nothing to do with antler restrictions and everything to do with a lack of ethics by the guys taking the shots.

I find it amazing that every time someone reports finding a mature bull killed and left to rot, people want to debate the rules, rather than discuss how to better identify whether animals are legal before taking the shot. There are some really good hunters on this site and I am sure that there are a lot of good ideas out there - besides blaming the CO's or the rules.

Frustrating as the rules can be, I want this hunt to continue. What I don't want is to keep hearing about guys killing illegal animals and leaving them in the bush. Does anybody think we can have it both ways?

boxhitch
11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
When travelling aroun the backcountry I have seen where shots have been fired at signs, appliances, car parts and a few animals that make me think there is a faction out there that just likes to shoot shite to see what happens. Animate or inanimate, just another target. No accounting for that.

ElkMasterC
11-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I think most folks that are dead set against an all LEH rule in some areas are forgetting the fact that without a GOS, there will be more LEH tags. A certain percentage of no-shows, and unfilled tags are factored in.
I think most are assuming the odds would remain the same, but my humble opinion is that with an all LEH, more tags means better odds. It might get off to a slow start, but imagine all those wasted bulls being alowed to live, and go back into the draw.
Never quite understood the spike-fork dealie.
Seems ripe for abuse.

I'm not dead set on either way, but that's my two bits.

NightOwl74
11-02-2008, 11:58 PM
I think most folks that are dead set against an all LEH rule in some areas are forgetting the fact that without a GOS, there will be more LEH tags. A certain percentage of no-shows, and unfilled tags are factored in.
I think most are assuming the odds would remain the same, but my humble opinion is that with an all LEH, more tags means better odds. It might get off to a slow start, but imagine all those wasted bulls being alowed to live, and go back into the draw.
Never quite understood the spike-fork dealie.
Seems ripe for abuse.

I'm not dead set on either way, but that's my two bits.
Well said..........I say bring on the LEH for moose in 3 and 8. Enoughs enough with the poaching crap. The people who are complaing about the idea are thinking of themselves and not the good of the population. An LEH for moose will better the odds of success.

Smokepole
11-03-2008, 12:56 AM
If the problem is poaching, going to LEH isn't going to fix anything. People who knowingly break the rules aren't going to stop because new rules are added. If the problem is mistaken identity why not look at a shorter any bull open season. That's what we have here in region 6 and we simply don't have this problem here. Any bull is a legal bull. If you can knock one down you take it home, nobody leaves them to rot in the bush around here.

ElkMasterC
11-03-2008, 02:28 AM
If the problem is mistaken identity why not look at a shorter any bull open season.

Absolute F**king mayhem, that's why.

Seriously think about what that would mean.

The season now is like this:

Spike fork season (Maybe..I'm not sure..I'm excited, and I seen some head bone) + idiots= Bang..... F*k! RUN!

LEH only + more tags = any bull = Horns BANG! Pix and dinner!

There will ALWAYS be idiots in the world..that has never, and WILL never change. Wasting a Moose is cause for tears...seriously. They are noble and delicious.

Make it so that horns = shoot, and waste will diminish to almost ..... nothing.

Like I said before, my opinion is not set in stone, and it won't work for every situation, but geez....7 days any bull? Wow..... Good week to stay home.

boxhitch
11-03-2008, 09:37 AM
forgetting the fact that without a GOS, there will be more LEH tags.
LEH always have a finite number of permits, the GOS is open to anyone. ??
If they would always put out enough permits to fit every applicant, why not just GOS ?

but imagine all those wasted bulls being alowed to live, and go back into the draw.

Dead is dead. I don't get your point.

Wasting a Moose is cause for tears...seriously. They are noble and delicious.

There are lots more out there, enough to go around. They die everyyear from natural causes too. Tears aren't necessary.

boxhitch
11-03-2008, 09:44 AM
The people who are complaing about the idea are thinking of themselves and not the good of the population
The number of poached moose is insignifiacant compared to the healthy growing population numbers.

An LEH for moose will better the odds of success.LEH means nothing to success.
An any bull permit is only beneficial to the guy who has it in hand, but still no gaurantee.
The current GOS means everyone has a chance, thats a good thing.

KevinB
11-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Talk about decision making in the absence of data.

Can someone actually post up some statistics that show that poaching actually has much of an effect on the overall population? Poaching is pretty minor compared with all of the other non-natural annual mortality like legal hunter harvest and road kill. You'd probably "save" more moose from being "wasted" by instituting mandatory shooting competency tests and the like. I bet the number of animals that are wounded, and never found or not even followed up on, and die in the bush somewhere, far exceeds the number of animals poached. What do you say we should do about that?Don't get me wrong, it makes me angry as much as the next hunter when I hear about this stuff. But it boggles me, the knee-jerk reaction of most people.

To all those who would see the implementation of LEH in an effort to reduce poaching...If someone can demonstrate that poaching is actually having a big impact on populations and/or legal harvest levels, then maybe the first thing you should lobby for is more enforcement of the laws we already have - it's already illegal to kill an animal out of season. The only reason a GOS should be further restricted, shortened, or lost to LEH, is for conservation concerns - not because of the minor amount of poaching that happens, poaching will happen irregardless of whether there is a long or short GOS, antler-restricted seasons, LEH only, or no hunting at all.