PDA

View Full Version : My Turn!

brotherjack
10-31-2008, 04:18 PM
The alarm went off early this morning, following a restless nights sleep. I've had some kind of nasty cold that's been hanging on for a few days now that kept messing up my sleeping. Oh well, as if I would let a little thing like that stop me from hunting mule deer! The longer I hunt, the more mulies are my favourite thing to hunt, bar none. It gets me plenty of exercise, I see tons of deer, and I am usually very successful at it (success being measured as steaks in the freezer, for me).

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, alarm going off, me dragging my sorry butt out of bead, nagging the wife to get her gear and come on, etc. Load up, and up into the mountains long before daylight, and more importantly, long before the next hunter shows up. This has usually been the trick that keeps me in mulies when other guys are hunting the same mountain and getting none. Trick didn't work this morning, we glassed and glassed till full on daylight, and only saw one little group of does about a kilometer away.

I have to be at work by 10:00 (unless I get something), so we hoof it back to the truck. We've got about half an hour to kill, so we take a little short drive around to a few different spots where we can sit and glass some wide open terrain. No deer. Bummer.

Just as I am turning the truck around to head out, The Wife(tm) squeaks at me “hey, there's a bear!”. I kill the truck and we hop out and have a look-see at yee olde bear. You know on the hunting videos when they finally find The Big One(tm)? Well, this bear looked just like that – black as the ace of spades, head like a pumpkin, and so much fat on him that he jiggles when he walks – a hog of a bear if there ever was one. I don't pack a bear tag anymore (long story), but The Wife(tm) still does, and she's already setting up the shooting sticks. We sit there and watch it through bino's for a couple of minutes. 99.9999% sure this is NOT some little sow with cubs, but it won't hurt to be sure. Nope, nothing else in that bush moving. Nope, he ain't getting any smaller or even remotely sow-looking. Just keeps looking bigger, actually.

“Can I shoot that far?” she asks. In wide open country like this, it's a legitimate question. It's easy to miss the yardage guess out here - both too long and too short.

I put the bino's down. The bear looks big as life to the naked eye, so can't be all that far, I reckon - maybe 200 yards tops - “give'er” says I to The Wife(tm). I watch the bear intently through the binos as she sets up for the shot. 10 or 20 seconds later, the rifle barks and the bear takes off like the devil was after him. Hrummm.... not really the reaction we were hoping for, but possibly still a good sign.

I catch just a glimpse of him a time or two in between the trees as he runs the timbered ridge below us. Just about the time we loose sight of him for good, we hear “crash, crash, crash” from the other side of the ridge from about where we expect the bear was heading. “Well, that's a little more like it”, I think to myself.

The Wife(tm) heads down-mountain on foot so she can keep her eyes glued on the point of impact, and I drive the truck around. As I'm driving around, another hunter comes driving up from the low road. He stops, and asks if we hit him. I say I think we did, and he says good luck. If I had to judge by his demeanor, I'd say he was a bit annoyed with us (and I couldn't entirely blame him), but we had no idea he was there, so I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. I would certainly have let him have it if I'd known he was down there chasing that bear (though, in hindsight, I am only assuming that he was chasing that bear).

Anyway, flash-forward a few minutes, and we're following where we think the bear went, creeping along as quietly as we can. The Wife(tm) is walking the ridge along the drop-off, and I'm following along about 30 yards farther in from the drop off. About 2 minutes into this exercise, The Wife(tm) hisses at me to “come here.” She's over by where all the crashing came from, so I'm thinking maybe she's seen the bear, I make tracks over to her. She hisses at me “Mulies, right down there, and I think one of em is a 4 point. It's your turn!”.

Lo and behond, she ain't kiddin! There be mulies down there about 80 yards out. Bino's up. There's a buck. 1 2 3 4. 1 2 3 4. Bino's down. Oh look, a great big rock right here I can use for a rest without even having to crouch down. God is good.

Gun up.

Rest on rock.

Crosshairs on buck.

Bang!

Flop!

Whoohooo!!!!!

At that point, I sent The Wife(tm) home for the pickup truck – a bear AND a mulie in a Chevy Tracker would be a bit much. I drag the mulie down to the nearest downhill road (about 400 yards) and gut him while she makes the trip.

She gets back about an hour later with our buddy Mike for extra help, and we load up the buck and head out looking for the bear again. An hour's searching over where we are just certain the bear had ran (and because of the terrain, we are very certain – he didn't have a lot of options), and not a drop of blood, not a speck of hair, not nothing. About this time, I start looking back up at where the shot had come from. Man, why does that look so much farther than it did when we were looking at that bear?

I sent Mike and The Wife(tm) back up the road to where the shot was taken from. Oh. My. That must have been a BIG FAT HOG of a BEAR. The Wife(tm) looks very very tiny at that distance. The Bear did not!! Mike paced it off. Easy 400 yards, probably 450 (or maybe more like 400 if you deduct a bit for the downhill angle). Either way, a 308 Winchester sighted in for a 200 yard zero was about 2 feet low when it got to the bear. It would certainly explain why he ran off like he wasn't hurt and why we can't find any blood or any bear..... sigh.... oh well, I wasn't looking forward to dealing with nasty old bear meat anyway. So, it's all good!

I think I can now give a definitive two thumbs up to 150 grain Nosler AccuBond's. It hit that deer like a truck, and he went down in a heap where he stood. On the post mortem, the lungs were jello, and the entrance and exit holes in the ribcage were both about twice to three times the size of a toonie. Right on!

Side question: anyone know if a bear that got the daylights scared out of him by rocks exploding at his feet is likely to show back up at the same spot tomorrow? The Wife(tm) really would like to tag that thing!

OK, OK, I've teased you long enough – here be some pics. He is in no way a monster mulie, but anything legal is big enough for me. And I can't help but think – mulies are just so very much easier to locate and put lead in than elk are. That's probably why I like hunting them so much. :)

http://xjack.org/hunting/amulie2008-5.jpg

http://xjack.org/hunting/amulie2008-6.jpg

rishu_pepper
10-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Nice looking buck, BJ. You gonna taxi that mount?

ThisIsLiving
10-31-2008, 04:50 PM
looks like the muleys are rutting..... from the size of his neck

brotherjack
10-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Actually, the cape just got dropped off at the Taxi - but it's going to be the cape for mount of the 170 inch antlers from the mulie I got back in 2005 (or was it 6?). I couldn't afford to have anything mounted back then, so I never kept the cape from the original.

brotherjack
10-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, he had a whole harem running with him. He must have been a bit of a sweetheart, actually - I had to shoo the girls away from the carcass so's I could drag him down the mountain. :)

LeverActionJunkie
10-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Congratulations brotherjack thats a dandy buck! Is this first blood for the new tikka?

brotherjack
10-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Yep, first blood for the Tikka (not counting grouse, LOL)... :) Totally happy with it.

boxhitch
10-31-2008, 05:45 PM
Good going
The B Bear should be back in that area, if he'a not dead already. Maybe kinda late for a high protein meal though, so maybe not on the gutpile.
Not sure why he reacted so energetically, if he was missed cleanly. Maybe he had been shot at before. Good luck to the Wife (tm)

brotherjack
10-31-2008, 05:55 PM
Good going
The B Bear should be back in that area, if he'a not dead already. Maybe kinda late for a high protein meal though, so maybe not on the gutpile.
Not sure why he reacted so energetically, if he was missed cleanly. Maybe he had been shot at before. Good luck to the Wife (tm)

Given the angle (quartering away), and the 2 foot (approximate) of bullet drop, my guesstimate is, that the bullet probably hit the rocks between his front paws or maybe up closer to his nose. Rocks exploding near his face would scare him pretty good, I'd guess... hard to say for sure...

And, as I've thought about it - now that I know there's a gut pile there, I'm not sure it would even be legal for us to go hunting for him in that area. Anyone know how far from a known gut pile I'd have to be so a CO wouldn't/couldn't say we was baiting?

TIKA 300
10-31-2008, 06:41 PM
Nice buck Bro..... Congrats

Do you think the gut pile would still be around tomorrow????Any time ive seen deer taken the pile is gone in a day.

Jimbo
10-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Congrats on a great deer, and a really great photo.

newhunterette
10-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Love the write up BJ - and congratulations

kgs
10-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Nice deer congrats BJ

BearSniper
10-31-2008, 07:38 PM
Great story Bro Jack

Great Mulie. To bad about the big blackie.

I wonder if she did hit him after all, and all the fat seized up the blood flow and he made it into the bush without dropping any ?

Seems the Wife(tm) has a pretty steady eye. We know she hit that tree but she's dropped other game:redface:

Seems like a shame, a real good rug on the wall for sure.

brotherjack
10-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Nice buck Bro..... Congrats

Do you think the gut pile would still be around tomorrow????Any time ive seen deer taken the pile is gone in a day.

Yeah, we were just discussing the same thing. Up in that neck of the woods, it's probably already gone (coyotes, wolves, and bears all three around there). Really tempting to go back tomorrow A.M. and setup to glass the mountain in general all day - it's a once-in-a-lifetime (for us anyway) class of bear. And I certainly wouldn't set up down near the gut pile or anything; I'm just a little paranoid of being accused of baiting just for being in the general area or something stupid like that.

brotherjack
10-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Great story Bro Jack

Great Mulie. To bad about the big blackie.

I wonder if she did hit him after all, and all the fat seized up the blood flow and he made it into the bush without dropping any ?

Seems the Wife(tm) has a pretty steady eye. We know she hit that tree but she's dropped other game:redface:

Seems like a shame, a real good rug on the wall for sure.

Yeah, she's solid as a rock on the sticks, and about 70% of her on-game shots over the years have been at what I consider "a long dang ways!". The only times she's ever got in trouble are when I let her shoot an in-accurate gun, or when the critter gets so far away the bullet drop becomes an issue. So, when she says the shot was good, the hold was solid, crosshairs not boping around at all, etc - I take that as gospel. However - she was holding dead-on him, and assuming Nosler is vaguely on the up-and-up about their ballistic coefficients, that bullet would be 2 to 2.5 feet low at that range. Even if yee olde bear had a ribcage that was 4 foot across (he was big, but I don't think he was THAT big), 2+ foot of bullet drop from dead-on hold puts even a flesh-wound hit well outside the realm of likelyhood. The only thing I could see is maybe winging him in the foot or something - but all his feets seemed to be working pretty well when he pounded out of there.

brotherjack
10-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Side note - I just realized, that this was my longest shot at a critter by almost double! It was about 80 yards - previously, my record long-shot was about 45 yards. Spiffy!

stanway
10-31-2008, 08:20 PM
Congrats BrotherJack! Nice mulie.

10-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Nice buck BJ, and a great and entertaining write up. Too bad about the bear, I don't think he will go too far. Keep on watching the area for a few days. I wouldn't worry about the gut pile either, the coyotes will have it cleaned up in no time. A good season for you and the wife so far. Next year,,, time to break that elk jinx..!

behemoth
10-31-2008, 09:51 PM
You have to take into account shooter error. Is is possible the shooter shot high? If you heard crashing in the bush, you should definately go back in the morning to look for a murder of crows.
No crows = missed shot
Congrats on the buck , looks like a big bodied deer

10-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Good job Brotherjack! Next on the list is a 6pt Elk.

hunter1947
11-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Very nice wright up you put up brother J ,one of the better stories I have heard on this forum.

Very nice heavy deer you got as well ,very well done ,this deer will put lots of meat in your freezer for the winter.

Now its time to go get another WT or mulie now tat your luck is with you ,congrats to you and your wife on a very successfully hunt http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

In4TheHunt
11-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Nice Buck, sorry about the bear...
good luck on finding ther bb I hope she get it..
Cheers

brotherjack
11-01-2008, 09:29 AM
You have to take into account shooter error. Is is possible the shooter shot high? If you heard crashing in the bush, you should definately go back in the morning to look for a murder of crows.
No crows = missed shot
Congrats on the buck , looks like a big bodied deer

The crashing in the bush was the herd of mulies spooked by the bear, as far as we can tell - at least we found the mulies approximately where all the crashing was coming from. If the bear crashed dying right there, we would have found him - the drop off over the other side of the ridge he would have gone down was basically just rocky scree that ends up in kind of a mini-canyon, with hardly a bush to be seen for hundreds of yards in either direction. If he was already so unsteady on his feet as to go crashing down that, we would have found him down in the rocks. We also hiked the ridge, and the bench below the ridge for a kilometer or so in his last known direction of travel (if we assume he didn't go over into the canyon, which is what he appeared to do), and found no bear and no blood. Also, we found no hair at the point of imact, either.

Also, realisticly, I'm guesing a big bear's ribcage is probably only about 2 and a half feet across (that would make his back nearly wast high if he was laying flat on his belly, which is probably being generous) - so unless she had the crosshairs well up over his back, there just ain't no way it could get him after 2+ feet of bullet drop (and she's confident the crosshairs were well centered when she touched it off).

We'll go back and have a look for crows here later today, but after looking the whole situation over, I'm pretty confident it was not hit, certainly not mortally.

sawmill
11-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Nice Buck!

11-01-2008, 10:26 AM
The crashing in the bush was the herd of mulies spooked by the bear, as far as we can tell - at least we found the mulies approximately where all the crashing was coming from. If the bear crashed dying right there, we would have found him - the drop off over the other side of the ridge he would have gone down was basically just rocky scree that ends up in kind of a mini-canyon, with hardly a bush to be seen for hundreds of yards in either direction. If he was already so unsteady on his feet as to go crashing down that, we would have found him down in the rocks. We also hiked the ridge, and the bench below the ridge for a kilometer or so in his last known direction of travel (if we assume he didn't go over into the canyon, which is what he appeared to do), and found no bear and no blood. Also, we found no hair at the point of imact, either.

Also, realisticly, I'm guesing a big bear's ribcage is probably only about 2 and a half feet across (that would make his back nearly wast high if he was laying flat on his belly, which is probably being generous) - so unless she had the crosshairs well up over his back, there just ain't no way it could get him after 2+ feet of bullet drop (and she's confident the crosshairs were well centered when she touched it off).

We'll go back and have a look for crows here later today, but after looking the whole situation over, I'm pretty confident it was not hit, certainly not mortally.

Looking upslope can often be very decieving, especially if the slope is undulating. I once shot at a 6pt bull elk up a 30 degree slope and missed clean, I thought the bull was only a couple hundred yards away, maybe 250 at most, but when I got up there looking back down I realized the range had been much greater then 200 yards, probably double that, very similar to your experience BJ. I went out and purchased a range finder after that incident. Not much hope in making a shot when the range estimation is that far off.

Interestingly, if the bear had been up a much steeper slope, say in excess of 45 degrees, aiming right on at 400 yards would not have been a bad choice considering the divegence of the bullet path and line of sight. Lots of things come into play with long range shots, but if the range is misjudged by that much there's one big strike against you right from the start.

These kind of things happen to the best of us just like the fir tree incident your wife had a couple weeks ago, as the old saying goes, $hit happens, don't let it get her down, keep on truckin'.

Tikka7mm
11-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Nice buck BJ...!

7mag700
11-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Great story, nice buck. Now go get us some more ;)

brotherjack
11-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Went back today for a crow-check on the bear (and hey, maybe a 4 point mulie for the wife - stranger things have happened, and recently!). Nope, no crow convention. I was sure in my mind it was a clean miss, or we would have spent the day Friday hunting for it, but 2 days later and no crows - I think that pretty much confirms it. Also, I used Google Earth to calculate the real ballistic range on the shot (straight line on a flat map should do that, eh?), and came up with 380-ish yards; about what we'd figured.

We wandered around a bit, and saw a big hog of a 3 point mulie, a smaller 3 point mulie, and a half dozen does, and then that was the morning.