PDA

View Full Version : Work Day Limit

Duck Buster
10-31-2008, 11:50 AM
Instead of working today I decided to headed early to the bay to see what was happening. The birds were flying great and the dog and I had our limit of Wigeon in about 15 mins. Picked up our stuff and were back at the truck by 0830. what a great morning. Hope you all do just as well this weekend.

jethro
10-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Good job Duck Buster!! I was thinking of going out to Cow Bay this morning, but figured I should rest up for Halloween. Its good to see the Widgeon have finally shown up. I haven't seen any yet this year. I am going out Sunday morning, maybe I'll see ya there.

Jason

Marc
10-31-2008, 04:00 PM
Good job Duck Buster!! I was thinking of going out to Cow Bay this morning, but figured I should rest up for Halloween. Its good to see the Widgeon have finally shown up. I haven't seen any yet this year. I am going out Sunday morning, maybe I'll see ya there.

Jason

Jason, the last two times I was out the majority of the birds in cow bay were widgeon. I may head out for a shoot as well Sunday morning if I get what I want done around the house by then.

jethro
10-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Marc, you must be hunting a different part of the bay as me. The majority of the birds I have seen have been mergansers and Mallards, and a good amount of teal. I hear the occasional Widgeon call, but they must be staying farther out because I have seen very, very few from where I hunt

Duck Buster
10-31-2008, 08:20 PM
I agree with Marc, I have seen a fare number of Wigeon around. Up until today however, they have been pretty skidish but this morning my dozen wigeon decoys with about 8 mallards in the mix did the trick really well.

good shooting on sunday, I may be out I am not sure yet.

Cheers
Jamie

PGK
10-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Great shooting! Still a bunch of wig left up here, but I have them well trained to avoid decoys by now :mrgreen:

Marc
10-31-2008, 08:28 PM
I found the widgeon to be a bit decoy shy myself. I'm wondering if it's because of my goose decoys I've been adding to my spread.

Duck Buster
10-31-2008, 08:42 PM
I think it might be Marc, I left the goose hulls at home today and these birds decoyed in wonderfully. With the only geese around being the local birds and they are pretty spread shy, just heading from the far side of Widgeon Island to Dinnsdales and back again, I figure no use carrying all that extra stuff until some Northern geese show up in a few weeks.

Marc
10-31-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't think I'll bother with the goose decoys anymore. I was only dragging along a half dozen to add to the duck spread. Got me 3 geese in two days so not complaining but like you've said the local birds are smartening up. I may set up a goose spread on the water when more geese start rousting on the bay. I have about 2 dozen goose floaters and I figure with the boat I should be able to set up out in the open where they'd feel safe to come in.

HuntNHookSports
11-01-2008, 07:08 AM
High tide, low visibility, rain and wind. It was the perfect day out there. Hopefully this weather keeps up.

Do you carry 20 decoys and a spinner out there? Throw in a gun and a limit of ducks that is a lot of weight to carry.

I haven't got into the widgeon yet ether. Been lucky with the mallards though. Could have shot dozens of them fish eatin' mergies.

Duck Buster
11-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah I do carry all that gear out there. It is alot of stuff to through on your back, but well worth it when you can get into good numbers of birds that are decoying well.

Good shooting

longshot
11-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Good to hear. I was thinking of taking a hunt at the bay next monday with my son and try to get under some of those wigeons. He has no school because of remembrance day. Haven't been there this year yet, only bin up near naniamo.

Sounds like a great hunt you had! And a heavy haul back!

PGK
11-01-2008, 11:07 AM
I found the widgeon to be a bit decoy shy myself. I'm wondering if it's because of my goose decoys I've been adding to my spread.

My bad :biggrin:

Marc
11-01-2008, 02:09 PM
My bad :biggrin:

Keep dreaming, I was watching a flock of a couple hundred widgeon before the season even opened.:biggrin:

shotgunjohn
11-02-2008, 11:47 PM
Funny how it can be down at the Bay. Me and Tanya were out on Saturday and where we were there was almost all pintails with afew teal thrown in. We did manage a limit{8] on the pins with a teal for appies.