PDA

View Full Version : Going for my first solo hunt this weekend

mijinkal
10-31-2008, 10:53 AM
I was supposed to go hunting with my wife this weekend but the bad weather scared her off, plus a few other issues. I've been on this site too much lately reading about everybody elses hunts and can't wait any longer.
So, after a night of partying with my neighbours tonight, I'm going to hit the road at 4:30 or 5:00 am tomorrow to get out to 3-13 for first light. Not the best area but it's the only grounds I know that are this close to town and have decent sized deer. Our camp is 2 for 2 there. I'll be spending the night and caoming home Sunday afternoon.
I'm a bit nervous about going out there by myself because I know it'll be a lot of work by myself if I bag a deer. I've only cut up 2 deer before but feel confident enough to do it by myself.
I'll be sleeping in my van and riding around on a dirtbike unless I decide to sleep in the area that I hunt.
Hopefully I'll have a good update for you guys on Sunday!

Steeleco
10-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Good luck, I like hunting solo sometimes, right or wrong all the decisions are yours!

Gateholio
10-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Try to get to bed early tonight. If you stay up late, it's possible you will still be impaired at 5AM:shock::smile:

BCrams
10-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Have a great time. I've done a lot of solo deer hunts!

Spuddge
10-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Have fun, hope you're successful. One thing I'd like to do is a solo hunt, hopefully I'll get around to it before the season is over. I'm sure you'll manage fine with the deer by yourself. I did my first solo gutting, dragging etc. this season, a little muscle and sweat and you'll get it done. If it was moose that would be a whole different thing!:shock:

Fireball129
10-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Good luck.Have fun its the joy of being in the woods.I enjoy my solo hunts.

cainer
10-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Good hunting-hope the weather lightens up a bit for ya.

doubled
10-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Solo hunts rock. Usually you get the big boys when you are alone. Enjoy.

NEEHAMA
10-31-2008, 12:24 PM
just tell someone where you'll be just incase. leave a map.

mijinkal
10-31-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the re-assurance guys. I'm pretty stoked!
I go backcountry snowshoeing and snowboarding by myself all the time so I know I'll love the time alone. I don't mind the rain at all and am actually looking forward to some crappy weather.

mijinkal
11-03-2008, 05:11 PM
So, I made it home safe and sound and had a great time.
Friday night was a bit of a mess. I took the kids trick or treating and after they went to bed I had some drinks with the neighbours untill 1am. Woke up at 4:30 and hit the road to be at the spot for sunrise. I got there a little later that I hoped but arrived near the cut block at sunrise. Parked the van partially blocking the road into let other hunters know I was in the area. The road ends in the cut block so there is no need to drive through it. 2 hours later, some guy drives his diesel truck up the road, stops right below me for 30 seconds to take a look, and turns around and leaves. He didn't even see me stand up 100 yards away. Somewhat pissed off, I decided it was time to go get a bite to eat and take a nap because anything that was near the area was now running the other direction.
I headed back into Boston Bar to see if I could buy some deer scent and a deer call. My buddy was supposed to bring them by my house the night before but didn't show up. Boston Bar has 2 stores and not much in them, so I picked up some beers and a can of soup and headed back to the cut block.
I decided that I needed to mark the road a little more this time. I strung toilet paper across the road in two different spots just in case one of them ripped in the wind. I don't want to block the road with logs or my vehicle because I don't believe it's my right to stop somebody from going in there. I just ask for some courtesy and hope that they turn around.
This was not the case 3 hours later as I hear another vehicle coming in the area. Some local in a sidekick with an exhaust leak decided he wanted to check out the area and didn't care that there was somebody there.
Pissed off, I decide to go for a walk into the bushes at a spot where I saw a buck a few weeks ago. This turned out to be my best move of the day.
45 minutes into the bush, I see some pretty fresh deer tracks. I followed them for a while and came upon some more tracks and a lot of deer $hit. If it were any more fresh, it would have been warm. I'm getting pretty excited at this point because it was the only fresh sign I've seen the whole day. 1/2 hour later I stumble upon a pond that is obviously a very popular area for the local animals. Deer, bear and wolf or coyote tracks all through the area, and all are fairly fresh in the soft mud. After sitting there for a little while, I decided that I needed to leave at 5:10 to get back to the van with some light.
As soon as I stand up and turn around to leave I'm staring at a buck at 50 +- yards. Holy $hit! I'm trying to count the points, It looks like it could be 4 so I throw up the binos, 1 2 , 1 2 3 . Damn. If it were October 31st, I could have shot him. He saw me failry quickly and decided it was time to leave and so did I.
On the way back I had a close encounter with a black bear just as I got back into the cut block. Scared the crap outta me because I didn't even see him untill he was running away from me at 20-30 yards.
After a well needed sleep, I woke up early but decided to sit in the cutblock for the morning because I didn't have time to hike all the way into the bush again and make it home for my family pictures in the early afternoon. Didn't see a thing all morning.
Overall, I thought it was a great first solo hunt. I was a little unprepared and forgot a few things but that was mostly due to rushing around on Halloween and not taking the time to pack properly. All the hunters I saw in the area said that they didn't see a thing, not even grouse. So I felt that my hike was worth it and the weekend was somewhat succesfull. Too bad the freezer is still empty.

hunter1947
11-03-2008, 05:21 PM
You had a good time and thats all that counts.

Just to be out in the mountains is good enough for me.

There always will be a next time to get your game animal ,if we all put down animals every time we went out there would be nothing left http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

moosinaround
11-03-2008, 05:31 PM
If there is a road in to the block, expect to see a vehicle on it!! Not everyone picks up on the vehicle partially blocking, or toiletpaper strung out over the road as a clue someone is hunting it! They probably thought someone littered all over the place. You can't expect everyone to understand hunting curtouesy. If you want privacy, head out like you did, then there will be NO vehicles, and way more critters!! Solo hunting is nice to do, your own schedule, your own pace, your own decisions right or wrong!! Good luck with future hunts. Moosin

CJ-Jim
11-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Go solo = I,ve soloed on Moose for Years now = and when I,ve managed to score all you have to remenber is to take you time and the right equipement with you and You,ll get the job done !!
After-all Moose are only big Deer !!