PDA

View Full Version : November moose hunting?

youngmooser
10-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi everyone,
I got drawn for a bull moose for november, it is my first moose draw and I was wondering how you guys would hunt a moose in november. What will they be doing, will they be in the timber, swamps, or logging? up high or should i find the lowest place possible. Will be hunting the spanish creek fsr in 5-15 but only the left side going in will be my area. Can't wait to get there :lol:
Thanks

Sitkaspruce
10-31-2008, 11:30 AM
You will the bulls in the tick stuff, or close to it. They are trying to fatten up before winter really sets in, so they will be feeding lots. The best places will be in the back of cutblocks, places where they are close to cover and are not distrubed much. Walk old, deactivated roads that access cutblocks that have 5-10 yo growth. Make sure you check the back corners and small little openings. If you see a bull and he moves into the timber/cover, leave the area, do not give chase. Then come back that night or the next day and sit where you can see a lg area. Most likely, if the bull was not spooked, he will come back out. You will find some moose still around the swamps and ponds, but if they are frozen, move on. While out and about, check for sign and look for areas that have signs of feeding and tracks of moose moving around.

Hunt the cutblocks and natural openings and you should do well.

Why are you only hunting one side of a road? You should be moving deeper into your area so you can cover more area.

Good luck

SS

hunter1947
10-31-2008, 01:09 PM
I found that the bigger bulls go into no mans land a try and do as less as possible in order to regain there body weight.

Look for areas that carry lots of tracks and food ,like willows etc and you will find them feeding early morning and late evening.
Cover lots of area and your chances increase lots ,good luck.

Caveman
10-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Where there is lots of food to minimize movement to fatten themselves up after a rigorous rut. Hopefully you have snow to help with the search but don't expect them to be traveling

youngmooser
10-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the info, will look hard, oops I thought the road was the boundry but after looking at a better map i see that it goes down to the park for the boundry. Map from the goverment really sucks. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

boonerbuck
11-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Do not be affraid to call for bulls in early Nov. Depending on the bull to cow ratio you can have some success at calling a bull in during this secondary rut.

I've watched bulls tending cows, rubbing, grunting and wallowing all in early Nov in the southern Cariboo. I've called bulls out into the open on several occasions while not having a draw and I once was rattling for mulies when a bull and cow appeared and the bull started rubbing a tree. I then let out a cow call and he and the cow walked out on a beaver pond and the dumb bull crashed through the ice and went into a complete panic.

Don't assume the moose will all disappear into the farthest pockets of hell just because the callender says Nov. I find this is more the case in late Oct usually when they are resting from the prime rut. When I put my draw in locally it's always the Nov draw when the odds are less and I know I can find acouple of bulls still with their nose up a cows arse.

youngmooser
11-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Came back in for the night going back out in the morning, 3 days no moose yet but really cool country, going to go in to it deeper going up to mckay river got a tip on good moosin in there :-D