PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 Double Header

ElectricDyck
10-31-2008, 12:03 AM
I found a place in region that had a good amount of sign and little pressure about a month ago. That day I only saw a doe and a fawn, but the area looked promising. I recently acquired a gps and have been fiddling with it and learning how to use it. I'd always been interested in the moons phases and the effest on hunting and fishing. On the gps it shows the prime days and times and I started noticing I was seeing game move between these times consistantly. I looked ahead through the days and found one that it said was excellent and noticed this did not happen very often. I figured with the this timing and the rut this would be an "excellent" day to go to this new found area. So myself and co-worker took the day off work and convinced another friend to come along.

The area took about an hour and a half to hike into. Within 2 hours of getting there we had spotted 10 does and fawns. We decided to split up cause I had wanted to explore a draw I saw last time and thought would be promising and the other guys continued on to an area they thought looked promising from looking at google earth.

After hiking for about 2 hours and seeing a doe, a fawn and a button buck I dedcided to sit have a bite to eat and call them up on the radio. Turns out they had already seen 10 more deer, 2 of them bucks and my co worker (1st time hunting ever) had a quick chance at a 3 point, but didn't have the shot he wanted. I finished my food and decided I am in the wrong area and high tailed it over to them. I was trying to get them to explain where they were when they quickly said don't call back we're on to 2 bucks. I muttered some profanity about there luck and carried on through the bush. After about 5 minutes I hear 2 quick shots and then, "we got one!" over the radio.

They described where they were and we met up. Apparently they had lost sight of the 2 bucks and were walking back when my co worker stopped to grab a drink from his pack. My other friend was waiting looking down a slope when he noticed a buck trying to sneak out the back door in 4' tall ferns and bushers about 80 yards away. He lined up free hand and shot just as the buck jumped over some dead fall. He wasn't sure of his shot and the buck showed no reaction of being hit so he fired again, this time having only a view of the kneck up, the rest being concealed in shrubbery. The buck dropped like a sack. Turns out the first shot grazed his back leg shattering all the bones above the at the knee, the second shot hit center kneck and spine ending his sneaky escape.

Turns out this 2 x 3 buck ( 4th point about 7/8" long) must have been bedded with his ladies cause 2 does stood up in the ferns after the shot and eventually vacated the area after standing around confused for a while. I could smell the buck from about 5 yards away and his kneck was thick and swollen. We high fived and got down to buisness.

Being optimistic but with an understanding that we were in region 2 none of us were really prepared to haul meat out. The decision was made to de bone, empty all our stuff into 1 pack and throw the meat into the other 2 packs (not really packs, but school nap sacks). We packed it back till we were about 45 minutes from the truck at which point I remembered I had a game sack left in my pack from another hunt. So we hung the meat in a tree in the game sack and headed back to try our luck again seeing as we were having such an "excellent" day.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/Region%202%20Double%20Header/IMG_0588-1.jpg

ElectricDyck
10-31-2008, 12:37 AM
By this time it was about 4:30 with the sun setting at about 6:00, we didn't have much time so we made our way back to the area they had seen the 2 bucks earlier. On the way back retracing our steps we found antler scrapes on the ground and hoof drag marks in our own tracks. It was at this point I decided it was and excellent day and I should have brought the pack frame.

After getting to the spot and seeing nothing we continued on. We stopped in a small draw and my buddy says "this looks like an ideal area for deer to hang out". Not 30 seconds later my co worker spots a deer. My buddy glasses and confirms it's a buck and and my co worker drops to his knee and takes aim. I also take a knee and am watching through my scope. The buck is sneaking away and is heading for thick cover. He squeezes the trigger, click, not loaded! I waited for a breif moment for the sound of a bolt cycling for a second shot. Not hearing this it was all the motivation I needed and I shot just as the buck slowed down to make his way through some dead fall. Unsure of my first shot I cycled another and tried to find him in my scope again. My buddy says he's down, he's done, just as i found him and saw him slide down a hill till hitting more deadfall.

This buck turns out to be a 4 x 3 with the same thick kneck and strong smell. His back legs are just soaked. Again more high fives and the work begins. The next 4 and a half hours were spent deboning, packing the meat and heads back to the truck. We ran into another spike buck and a doe on our way out that were trapped in the beam from my head lamp. I think they were as surprised as us. It was an "excellent" day and my co worker and I are still friends and are trying to work it out. LOLhttp://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/Region%202%20Double%20Header/IMG_0591-1.jpg

ElectricDyck
10-31-2008, 12:39 AM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/Region%202%20Double%20Header/IMG_0596.jpg

ElectricDyck
10-31-2008, 12:40 AM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/Region%202%20Double%20Header/IMG_0597.jpg

winbuckhunter
10-31-2008, 02:01 AM
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! two very nice bucks there.. always works out when you got that hunch!! sounds like a good spot you found!! i found a similar spot, I'm just itching to get a chance to get in there..

good bucks

kennyj
10-31-2008, 05:41 AM
Nice bucks guys!What an awesome day.
kenny

stanway
10-31-2008, 05:58 AM
Way to go. Those are a nick pair of blacktails.

Cheers!

Blainer
10-31-2008, 06:41 AM
That is a good day,and it sounds like you found a good spot.
Nice bucks for Blacktail.
Good on ya.

Leaseman
10-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Excellent work!! Nice bucks, especially for Blacktails.....:shock:

hunter1947
10-31-2008, 07:10 AM
You can't get a much better day then this one.

Very nice deer ,congrats.

CooperSscat
10-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Super MU 2 hunt! Nice works with the GPS(moon phase) and Google Earth! Thanks for posting!

Jeremy

Dirty
10-31-2008, 07:34 AM
Sounds like you found yourself a honey hole. You better tell me where it is to check to see if it is worth hunting after all those bucks got shot up.

Mr. Maverick
10-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Nice work. Love the thick racks. Well done on your hunch.

Tarp Man
10-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Way to go! Anytime you see that many blacktail bucks is a good day, let alone bringing two home! Congrats!

jrjonesy
10-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Good job guys. Nice bucks!

humble hunter
10-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Thank god for this post! I have been waiting for some blacktail action for the last 2 weeks as I have not seen a blacktail in any of my last hunts and I have been getting worried. I was thinking about not going out this weekend in the rain but I guess I will be hunting all weekend. Sweeet! Nice bucks boys.

treeclimber
10-31-2008, 12:02 PM
wow..some very nice blacktails there

sneg
10-31-2008, 12:16 PM
great . congrats on your success.

10-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the story. I've got an MU 2 buck with very similar antler type. Perhaps they are related!;-)

behemoth
10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Nice bucks! great story . congrats:cool:

LeverActionJunkie
10-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Nice job! Couple of good bucks there, nothing better than a double header :) :)

twoSevenO
10-31-2008, 07:08 PM
nice!!! do me a favor and share your success tips on these elusive blacktails of region 2. Do you merrit your success to lots of pre-season scouting, many hours spent behind google earth, luck .... what?

I'm still searching for just an area in reg 2 that has lots of sign, and not just occasional tracks. So far, been coming up empty so definitely in need of some tips for finding my own honey hole like this :D

Thanks

born2hunt
10-31-2008, 08:37 PM
great lookin bt,s guyz great work

bsa30-06
10-31-2008, 08:57 PM
[quote=twoSevenO;350798]
I'm still searching for just an area in reg 2 that has lots of sign, and not just occasional tracks. So far, been coming up empty so definitely in need of some tips for finding my own honey hole like this :D

You and me both.I have only seen 1 buck in region 2 and it was in the back of some other guys truck.
ElectricDyck you seem to have alot of luck in region 2, congrats on an excellent hunt and 2 fine blacktail bucks.

porcupine
10-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Congratulations. That was a day you'll never forget.
________
growing marijuana (http://growingmedicalmarijuana.org)

ElectricDyck
10-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. It was a fun day, even though I was too sore to move the next day.:smile:

nice!!! do me a favor and share your success tips on these elusive blacktails of region 2. Do you merrit your success to lots of pre-season scouting, many hours spent behind google earth, luck .... what?

I'm still searching for just an area in reg 2 that has lots of sign, and not just occasional tracks. So far, been coming up empty so definitely in need of some tips for finding my own honey hole like this :grin:

I think our good day was just really good timing between the rut and there day time activity level. I walked that area all day a month before and only saw a doe and a fawn. My other 2 bt bucks were due to the fact that I wanted to hunt so bad and didn't have time or money to go anywhere good so I stayed local and got lucky. I shot them on oct 23rd and nov 3rd, both rutty.

I've seen some high deer traffic areas between the east side of liuchemen and tamahi in the chilliwack valley. The access road is closed to vehicles so traffic is low except for the ocassional quader or dirt biker. I've never seen deer but heard pounding hooves multiple times, seen a big rub line and found a dead 2 pointer in spring while bear hunting, and always see fresh tracks by the rub line. Start looking for paths that look like they recieve heavy traffic and follow them. If I were more patient I think I could see one rather than spooking it. I haven't explored the alpine there much, but the one time I went up there I saw sign. Like my buddy says bt deer live in pockets, you just got to find them.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0172.jpg

ElectricDyck
10-31-2008, 11:27 PM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0179.jpg

twoSevenO
10-31-2008, 11:49 PM
what's the forest up in the liumchen area like? is it evergreens just like the rest of chilliwack or the type like where that rub is pictured? I've never been up in that area, thought it was an ecological reserve.

ElectricDyck
10-31-2008, 11:55 PM
Depends what elevation you're at and what they've planted in the old cuts. The ecological reserve is at the very top and there is a big sign that says all the dos and don'ts including "no hunting", the view is amazing from the top.

twoSevenO
11-01-2008, 12:03 AM
i remember reading about the gate for Liumchen ... but isn't Tamihi also gated? Seems like a long walk up that road, unless i'm missing a 3rd road?

btw, that is one nice rub mark and shed too :)

moosehunter16
11-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Congrats to great bucks. looks like you found a honey hole

Chasinracks
11-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Nice BT's electricdyck, all of us lowermainlanders will see you in chilliwack next year, hahaha!

wetcoaster
11-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the effort with the pics and story!

Great looking bucks!

mainland hunter
11-01-2008, 09:02 PM
It was a good day, a little hiking and sweat and there actually is some deer in reg 2, who knew. I saw a total of 5 bucks and a tonne of does for a one day trip. We finally have a spot to hunt close to home. Last year I swore i wouldn't hunt reg 2 ever again but Andrew (electricdyck) talked me into one more try here and it turned out pretty good.

Green Shot
11-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Yee Haa!
Nice Shooting Buddy, here's hoping that aim can hold out till February and the Queen Charlotte's! When are we doing dinner??