PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer rut

brandonhunter
10-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Can somebody tell me if the mule deer rut is in full swing yet, I am hunting region 8 so would be helpful to know for this region.:razz:

Jelvis
10-30-2008, 07:33 PM
October 22nd to November 23rd---already happening-- mature does all bred pretty well by Nov 2nd---then yearlings Nov 9 to 13 then missed does on Nov 16 to 19 then a few stragglers then done like dinner.
It's going hot and heavy as we speak---Jel-Rut-now

M.Dean
10-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Way to warm for deer to rut this year, a smart man would sell his guns and buy a 55 in. HD big screen and watch sports till xmass! Why waste gas and increase your ever enlarging carbon foot print!!! If it's warm like this, the bucks sweat way to much and slide off the does!!! Has to be way colder out, so what i may do is go out and check around to see if i can find any Ruttin Buck sign and check back in again after the season close's!!!

Big jer
10-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Was out all day today. very warm this am. Saw only 3 and 4 doe bunches They didn't seem to antsy. Watch them for an hour or so each. I agree with M.Dean. I think its way to warm yet. Need the cold snap!! Back to moossin tomorrow. last day.

huntwriter
10-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Here in region 3 I see the first rubs and everyday more are appearing. I have not seen any bucks chasing does or even near the does. Like M. Dean said, it’s to warm. I wait until November and hope we get a good cold snap and hopefully a little snow would suit me fine.

Jelvis
10-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Deer breed mostly after dark so that's why you don't see them in actual ha you know. The cold weather is one thing but fawns are born same time each year so weather or not it's still taking place. Gestation period all done by photoperiodism (amount of light of each day entering eyeballs) so that's why deer are born every year the same time. Snow or no snow frost or no frost still happens.
Look up photoperiodism in relation to deer annual life systems. Birthing, antler development and shedding, breeding and rut all by amount of daylight.
Jel-daylight in eyes=life changes--each day-4 minute change of light length-

bcbooner
10-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Out yesterday,seen lots of fresh rubs and some good rutting activity.Buddy shot a 4x3,buck had a good size neck and starting to smell.Picked up another buck(4x5) last weekend with my son inlaw that was chasing after a Doe.So the rut has started and should get better day by day.Cant wait for the weekend.

pushbush
10-30-2008, 10:09 PM
October 22nd to November 23rd---already happening-- mature does all bred pretty well by Nov 2nd---then yearlings Nov 9 to 13 then missed does on Nov 16 to 19 then a few stragglers then done like dinner.
It's going hot and heavy as we speak---Jel-Rut-now

Every year the Rut dates seem to change , I could of sworn that you said the most active Rutting period is between Nov 10 to Nov 17 last year there JEL.
PB

brandonhunter
10-30-2008, 10:17 PM
thanks for all the information, hoping to go check it out this weekend, and maybe get a nice buck.

Buckluck
10-30-2008, 10:37 PM
In all my years hunting region 8 I beleive the heavy rutting, where the big bucks become really stupid, occurs in the second and third weeks of November. I had also heard that is why the season closes there on Nov. 9 or 10 every year.

hunter1947
10-31-2008, 07:33 AM
The mule deer will be into full rut anytime after the long weekend in Nov ,the dinker bucks are earlier starters then the wall hangers ,the wall hangers chase these dinky little bucks off when things get serious.

GoatGuy
10-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Deer breed mostly after dark so that's why you don't see them in actual ha you know. The cold weather is one thing but fawns are born same time each year so weather or not it's still taking place. Gestation period all done by photoperiodism (amount of light of each day entering eyeballs) so that's why deer are born every year the same time. Snow or no snow frost or no frost still happens.
Look up photoperiodism in relation to deer annual life systems. Birthing, antler development and shedding, breeding and rut all by amount of daylight.

Jelly belly, full marks on this one.

Way to go.

BigBanger
10-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Jelvis seems to know deer . Bigmosybuckjelly

hunter1947
10-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Jelly belly, full marks on this one.

Way to go.

Elk do the same thing as well breed all night and bed most of the day.

300H&H
10-31-2008, 09:29 PM

Jelly...you are one smart cookie !!!

I thought I was the only one to pay that much attention.

ThisIsLiving
10-31-2008, 09:38 PM
the rut definetly fluctuates depending on the weather.... and there isnt a set date... it varies from year to year sometimes a couple weeks early but mostly late

huntwriter
10-31-2008, 10:33 PM

You’re right that photoperiodism influences the rut but it's not the only factor. There are other factors that trigger the rut. One very important factor is the gestation time of the deer. I once had a long discussion about the breeding cycle of deer with Larry Weishuhn, the world’s foremost deer biologist, from Texas. He told me that deer give birth when the conditions for raising young are perfect. The perfect time to give birth is when the weather is warm and dry and when plentiful food and cover is available.

The gestation period of deer is 180 days. This is an irrefutable fact that cannot be changed. Taking this fact as base and applying your given time (September) for the rut would mean that the first breed does will give birth around February. Here in BC February is very cold and wet, in addition there is very little nutritious food for the deer available. In short it is the worst possible time for a doe to give birth. Weishuhn explained to me that the rut changes from region to region based on the climate first and shortening of daylight second. The only thing that remains constant is that the rut is happening every year at the same time in a given region, because the rut is based on the gestation time of the doe to give birth when the climate is perfect. This is more or less the observation I have made hunting whitetails all over North America. In Florida the rut may start as early as August and the further up north you get the later the rut begins, with November being about as late as it will start.

In my hunting area in region 3 I have seen over the last few days rubs appearing everywhere and old rubs been refreshed. I am what some would call a whitetail deer “expert” and know that whitetails start rubbing and scraping activity during the pre-rut. However, mule deer experts have told me that it is the same by mule deer too. Going by this information and apply it to what I have observed over the last few days in rubbing activity lets me conclude that the full blown rut has not started yet. Does around here give birth around March, April and into May even as late as June. This too brings the rut date to around November, December and into January.

I am not trying to undermine your knowledge just applying simple math here based on the gestation period of the doe.;)

boxhitch
11-01-2008, 09:29 AM
In all my years hunting region 8 I beleive the heavy rutting, where the big bucks become really stupid, occurs in the second and third weeks of November. I had also heard that is why the season closes there on Nov. 9 or 10 every year.I have to side with you, Buckluck. The Bio figures the reg. 8 deer are more stupid than the reg. 3 M deer, so the early closing here.
But I do say the action has started now. Have seen scrapes, fighting, and swollen necks
and I don't mean just outside the Blue Ox, either.

11-01-2008, 11:00 AM
It appears to me:

In southern BC the highest frequency of fawn birthing occurs in mid May, thus the peak of the rut occurs in mid November,, 180 days earlier.

This changes very little from year to year in a given region, but the visual and reactive deer activities that hunters witness and have to deal with often varies a lot due to weather conditions, moon phases, forage availability, etc, that exist during the rut.

Fawns born in mid May have the highest survival rate. Early born fawns are subject to variations in forage availability that goes with the annual timing of the green-up, and late born fawns pay the price during the following winter due to their smaller size.

jimmy56
11-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I just got back from region 8-03. My 72 year old dad shot the largest mulie I have ever seen. He was a massive old buck, we had to cut him behind the ribs so the two of us could load him on the quad. He had a dark , heavy rack,(a timber deer for sure). My dad shot him at 5:30 pm on the 27th. The buck was hanging around a bunch of does, still with fawns. I would say the does are not ready yet but the bucks are. This old guy was stinky and had a neck the size of an island deers waist. Should make some good pepperoni.

wsm
11-01-2008, 12:53 PM
The mule deer will be into full rut anytime after the long weekend in Nov ,the dinker bucks are earlier starters then the wall hangers ,the wall hangers chase these dinky little bucks off when things get serious.
x2 this is my opinion as well

M.Dean
11-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Oh, the big ones are rutting!

GoatGuy
11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
You’re right that photoperiodism influences the rut but it's not the only factor. There are other factors that trigger the rut. One very important factor is the gestation time of the deer. I once had a long discussion about the breeding cycle of deer with Larry Weishuhn, the world’s foremost deer biologist, from Texas. He told me that deer give birth when the conditions for raising young are perfect. The perfect time to give birth is when the weather is warm and dry and when plentiful food and cover is available.

The gestation period of deer is 180 days. This is an irrefutable fact that cannot be changed. Taking this fact as base and applying your given time (September) for the rut would mean that the first breed does will give birth around February. Here in BC February is very cold and wet, in addition there is very little nutritious food for the deer available. In short it is the worst possible time for a doe to give birth. Weishuhn explained to me that the rut changes from region to region based on the climate first and shortening of daylight second. The only thing that remains constant is that the rut is happening every year at the same time in a given region, because the rut is based on the gestation time of the doe to give birth when the climate is perfect. This is more or less the observation I have made hunting whitetails all over North America. In Florida the rut may start as early as August and the further up north you get the later the rut begins, with November being about as late as it will start.

In my hunting area in region 3 I have seen over the last few days rubs appearing everywhere and old rubs been refreshed. I am what some would call a whitetail deer “expert” and know that whitetails start rubbing and scraping activity during the pre-rut. However, mule deer experts have told me that it is the same by mule deer too. Going by this information and apply it to what I have observed over the last few days in rubbing activity lets me conclude that the full blown rut has not started yet. Does around here give birth around March, April and into May even as late as June. This too brings the rut date to around November, December and into January.

I am not trying to undermine your knowledge just applying simple math here based on the gestation period of the doe.;)

Huntwriter, most of that is bang on for the states but there are a few differences in the Northern part of NA and also for mule deer. Gestation is ~200 (185-212) days and in the north estrus is tied much more directly to light. In Southern and Central parts estrus and 'the rut' has been tied to climate, habitat and some have stated that, to a degree the number and size of bucks available however most of those studies had either multiple changes or were in a 'penned' population. Our deer in the 'north' really don't have that option of a delayed rut when it comes to fawn survival in the spring and bucks would become extremely susceptible to 'winter kill'. The deer in the North really don't seem to have that 'choice'- at least that's what most of the studies indicate.

There are thousands of papers written on this and this is only the readers digest version. One good book Mule Deer management is: Mule Deer Conservation: Issues and Management Strategies. There are several others and thousands of papers.

I think hunters key in on the times after most of the breeding has been done when sightability increases. I think most hunters are 'seeing' a lot of bucks when they're on the move looking for yearlings who come into estrus late and does who weren't bred during the first cycle. Of course that's only an opinion.

swampdonkey
11-02-2008, 10:06 AM
I just got back from region 8-03. My 72 year old dad shot the largest mulie I have ever seen. He was a massive old buck, we had to cut him behind the ribs so the two of us could load him on the quad. He had a dark , heavy rack,(a timber deer for sure). My dad shot him at 5:30 pm on the 27th. The buck was hanging around a bunch of does, still with fawns. I would say the does are not ready yet but the bucks are. This old guy was stinky and had a neck the size of an island deers waist. Should make some good pepperoni. can we have some pics please

huntwriter
11-02-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all that information GoatGuy. As I stated a few times I am a newbie at mule deer hunting. I am very familiar with whitetails and just combined my knowledge of them and what I have observed on rub activity over the past few days. I still have to learn a lot about mule deer and I am grateful for any information like yours.

P.S. I also will check out the books your reference.

drakfero
11-02-2008, 05:02 PM
it is now.. for all guys hunting in 8 , watch out for poachers , those f.. just schoot the animal and leave for ravens , suns of the bitches!!!!!!! we saw dead deers , moose , everything... thay were schooting even the does..

bearass
11-02-2008, 05:18 PM
I was out in region 4 on the first saw twelve muley does and no bucks, all the does were together. Also went out this morning 2nd We saw one average sized 4piont with a doe, also saw a nice whitey chasing a doe.the whitey was to far away and, we missed the 4 piont muley.

coach
11-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Jimmy56, how do you get away with posting about a massive buck "biggest you have ever seen" and not posting any pictures? I didn't think this was allowed on this site..

hannibal
11-02-2008, 05:30 PM
According to my log book it was about 5 degrees cooler this time last year with 1" plus snow at the 1200m and higher elevation. This might have something to do with the amount of movement people are seeing or not seeing. I know I'm "seeing" less movement in my littles holes than last year, but it's harder to judge when the lack of snow makes idiot tracking impossible. When you are to warm at 10 am when still-hunting, just imagine how warm the deer are. I'm also noticing alot more "other" recreational woods users than last year, probably due to the mild weather, this might also put extra pressure on deer.

huntwriter
11-02-2008, 06:16 PM
it is now.. for all guys hunting in 8 , watch out for poachers , those f.. just schoot the animal and leave for ravens , suns of the bitches!!!!!!! we saw dead deers , moose , everything... thay were schooting even the does..

You should report every dead animal you see to the CO. If they can investgate the scene and animal they can establish a pattern of the poacher/s. That's how they caught a poacher here.;-)

bruin
11-02-2008, 07:44 PM
I was out all weekend in reg 8 and saw only two bucks chasing, but it is in the works, bucks are starting to stink and they are getting pretty thick in the neck.

Dannybuoy
11-02-2008, 08:03 PM
X3 ... I shot a little 3x3 mulie this week and his scent glands on his legs weren't even the least bit stinkie and his neck wasnt swelled at all ... it could be a bit late this year but some say that its just like flipping a switch on after Nov 11 , and like hunter1947 says the big boys dont let these dinkers hang around if there is any action in the works

Ltbullken
11-02-2008, 08:23 PM
X3 ... I shot a little 3x3 mulie this week and his scent glands on his legs weren't even the least bit stinkie and his neck wasnt swelled at all ... it could be a bit late this year but some say that its just like flipping a switch on after Nov 11 , and like hunter1947 says the big boys dont let these dinkers hang around if there is any action in the works

The mule deer I got, a 4 x 4, in Reg 3 on Oct 31 had a swollen neck and his glands were a bit stinky. Starting to rut up I'd say.

sneg
11-03-2008, 09:09 AM
shot 3pt yesterday. he was with 2 does. really stinky.we kept head and legs on while transporting. on way home got some does checking my truck out.

eastkoot
11-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Whatever this guy is doing all night is making him nap in the backyard all day, I think the rut is on..

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/duramaxx/P1020794.jpg