PDA

View Full Version : New to all this

Harley
10-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Hello Everyone, My name is Harley. I live in Richmond BC.

I am new to hunting/guns.. I'm wondering if you guys can help answer some questions?

I wish to use an air rifle to hunt varmints..
My air rifle is a crosman Phantom, 495FPS
I wish to only hunt varmints.. My questions are:

1 Do I need a hunting license?
2 Do I need any kind of tags?
3 Where can I find a Varmint list for the GVRD or all of BC?
4 Is there anything I should know that it seams I have no knowledge of?

Thanks Everyone (in advance)

Also I want to take a firearms safety course soon, so I can get a my PAL.
Any advice on how the best way to go about doing that?
Someone told me about C.O.R.E.. Is this the way to go? Please help as you all know so much, and I know so little..

Thanks again. -Harley

Big Daddy Ryan
10-30-2008, 05:36 PM
I do believe you need a hunting licence to shoot varmints and the CORE course is the only way to get it in BC. You should be able to find an instructor that teaches the PAL (Possesion and Aquisition of firearms) and CORE together then you get both done at the same time.

Pete
10-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Harley......Take the CORE Course it will really be a help to you starting out. All of the questions you asked are valid and would be answered in class.

Harley
10-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Oh, you need both the C.O.R.E and the PAL?
I thought C.O.R.E was optional?

Big Daddy Ryan
10-30-2008, 06:01 PM
You need to take the CORE in order to get your BC Hunter number and then you can get your hunting licence. You need your PAL in order to buy and possess firearms.

Harley
10-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Oh, I see.. So CORE is to get your hunter #..

Even if I'm using an air rifle, I guess I would need the CORE to get my hunter #...

If I'm going to do the CORE then I might as well Do the PAL.

Anyone reccomend a good place to take these courses?

Gun Babe
10-30-2008, 06:12 PM
From my own experience I would recommend a company called SILVERCORE......awesome instructors, great with newbies and very helpful in all aspects of both courses

mattie_k
10-30-2008, 06:19 PM
You might want to check out airgunforum.ca , they have a really good membership witha good knowledge base. In BC schedule "C" animals can be killed without a hunting license at any time.
Go do you PAL/CORE course and go hunting!
NON-PAL airguns are fun, but best used for killing "zombie" popcans and "killer attack" paper targets! At least that's what I use mine for....

Harley
10-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I checked out silvercore's webpage.. I'm just wondering why they charge twice as much as everyone else?

Don't get me wrong, if they are twice as good as everyone else I have no problem paying twice as much.. But if they teach the same thing, the same way. Then maybe I should opt for one of the other guys that only charge $100..

Also how long are these courses?

And Does the PAL allow you to import non restricted firearms?

Harley
10-30-2008, 06:26 PM
You might want to check out airgunforum.ca , they have a really good membership witha good knowledge base. In BC schedule "C" animals can be killed without a hunting license at any time.
Go do you PAL/CORE course and go hunting!
NON-PAL airguns are fun, but best used for killing "zombie" popcans and "killer attack" paper targets! At least that's what I use mine for....

Lol, yeah for sure.. I do want to go for my PAL and CORE..
But I also like the Idea of air rifles, With a PAL, I could get a 2000FPS + Air rifle.. And for varmints It's perfect..

But I hear you, they are just toys.. Ultimatly, once I get my PAL and CORE I will buy a couple of real arms (I want a 22lr and a SG)

Big Daddy Ryan
10-30-2008, 06:30 PM
You should be warned too, members that are new to this sight are required to tell a joke or else you will face the rath of Mr. Dean, just so you know. Welcome to HBC.

denali
10-30-2008, 08:15 PM
From my own experience I would recommend a company called SILVERCORE......awesome instructors, great with newbies and very helpful in all aspects of both courses

x 2 on Silvercore....

Edward Teach
10-30-2008, 10:37 PM
x3 on Silvercore.
Get your PAL/RPAL before you do CORE. It's easier that way.

rishu_pepper
10-30-2008, 10:46 PM
As an above poster said, some pests are on Schedule C and do not require a hunting license to shoot, so theoretically you can take your airgun to shoot it right now.

Both the PAL and the CORE may be challenged if you feel inclined to self-study. I did my PAL at Silvercore and I was very satisfied by their education. I then bought the CORE book and challenged the CORE exam and passed. You may want to do the CORE course as well but some of the material will be repeated (ie. the firearms section).

Scottish Warrior
10-30-2008, 11:50 PM
I did my PAL at Silvercore and I was very satisfied by their education. I then bought the CORE book and challenged the CORE exam and passed. You may want to do the CORE course as well but some of the material will be repeated (ie. the firearms section).

Same here.

Silvercore is good if you have very little knowledge about firearms.

The CORE does require some study to pass depending on your knowledge of wildlife if may be very challenging.

Harley
10-30-2008, 11:57 PM
You should be warned too, members that are new to this sight are required to tell a joke or else you will face the rath of Mr. Dean, just so you know. Welcome to HBC.

Ok then, What's the difference between Beer nuts and deer nuts?
Beer nuts are over a buck, deer nuts are under a buck.

I know it's corn, but I like it.

hunter1947
10-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Your going to need your core sometime in the near future ,go take it and get it done ,a pellet gun under 500 FPS is not classified as a rifle.
If under 500 FPS it can be discharged in a area that is closed for the discharging of a rifle but you have to have the permission from the home owner and it has to be on private properly to discharge you pellet gun ,good luck.

Brizz
10-31-2008, 11:46 AM
I just got my CORE and PAL with Kent Archibald in Cloverdale and I highly recomend him. He charges $100 for CORE and $130 for PAL, $50 for RPAL. PM me if you want his #.

mattie_k
10-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Lol, yeah for sure.. I do want to go for my PAL and CORE..
But I also like the Idea of air rifles, With a PAL, I could get a 2000FPS + Air rifle.. And for varmints It's perfect..

But I hear you, they are just toys.. Ultimatly, once I get my PAL and CORE I will buy a couple of real arms (I want a 22lr and a SG)

Oh don't ever have the mindset that a pelet gun is just a "toy" even if you didn't need a pal to buy one, they can cause some serious damage!

I got a non pal phantom in .22 and with a little tuning you can have a nice shooting pellet gun. Lots of fun to shoot any pellet gun, and a good training tool for the basics of shooting and safety.

Harley
10-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Your going to need your core sometime in the near future ,go take it and get it done ,a pellet gun under 500 FPS is not classified as a rifle.
If under 500 FPS it can be discharged in a area that is closed for the discharging of a rifle but you have to have the permission from the home owner and it has to be on private properly to discharge you pellet gun ,good luck.

That's not an issue, I live on farm land in Richmond..
But I think I'll get my PAL before I even think about the CORE.

Harley
10-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Oh don't ever have the mindset that a pelet gun is just a "toy" even if you didn't need a pal to buy one, they can cause some serious damage!

I got a non pal phantom in .22 and with a little tuning you can have a nice shooting pellet gun. Lots of fun to shoot any pellet gun, and a good training tool for the basics of shooting and safety.

Are you serious? Come on man, I obviously know it's not a "toy" it's just an expression.. As in I know it's not a real gun.. I know it can cause serious dammage and even death.. When I was 12 my friend got shot in the eye with a pellet gun, He almost died and did loose his eye..

There were 3 of us, the guy that shot him ran off, we were on an island..
Shady island (off the point of steveston) I had to swim across the mighty fraser to a near by fish porcessing plant and call 911, THEN swim back to stay with my friend.. People Die just trying to swim in that water.

So Belive me I know they are not just a "toy".. But in comparison to a real gun. It is a fair assesment..

N-W-Redneck
10-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Welcome to HBC!
First the joke: yes corny, but it gave me a good chuckle. :D

What exactly are you referring to as 'varmints'? As mentioned, most animals listed under schedule 'C' do not require a hunting licence to shoot. However there are a couple that do need a licence unless they are on you own property or are damaging your property. Pick up a copy of the hunting regs (free and available at sporting goods stores and anywhere that sells licences) for more details. There's lots of other good info in there if you are interested in getting into hunting in general.

Stick around, and don't be afraid to ask questions. There's lots of great people here willing to help out new hunters/shooters! :D

I remember having a great time as a kid at my friends place who had a little 'hobby farm'. We would go out at night and climb into the rafters of their feed shed, one with a flashlight and one with a pellet rifle. We would take turns 'pit-lamping' rats that were getting in to the feed.

hunter1947
11-01-2008, 07:09 AM
That's not an issue, I live on farm land in Richmond..
But I think I'll get my PAL before I even think about the CORE.

That a good idea you need to get it anyways ,go get it ,good luck on your course http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif .