PDA

View Full Version : Buckshot Patterns

Darren
09-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Does anyone have any idea how much wider the patern of 00 Buckshot would be with a slightly modified choke compared to a full choke? would a full choke make much difference.

Marc
09-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Best way to find out is take it to the range. I've got a pattern master choke tube that I bought for ducks that's suposed to be awsome with buckshot.

I'd try and use the tightest choke that gives you a good pattern, the last thing you want to do is pepper it all over.

Marc.

Foxer
09-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Funny enough i've heard some say they get tighter patterns with improved cylinder than they do with tighter chokes. I guess all you can do is pattern 'em but don't assume the tighter choke is the best, try all the ones you have and see.

Darren
09-15-2005, 09:04 PM
I thought I had heard that too, better paterns with modified. The reason I asked is because I only have a modified choke tube in my shotgun, and was considering getting a Full choke if it would give me a tighter pattern.

Foxer
09-16-2005, 09:15 AM
was considering getting a Full choke if it would give me a tighter pattern.

It won't necessarily, but it varies shotgun to shotgun. I was thinking buckshot for a few of the shotgun only areas a ways back and asked around - most of the guys who actually used buck used cylinder or improved, with a few modifieds. Everyone i asked said they found different shotguns behaved differently - sometimes even the same make.

Guess all you can do is pattern it with what you've got, and see if it's any good. if the results are what you'd expect, then go with it.

Jager
09-18-2005, 08:41 PM
I don't recall where I heard this but here goes....a full choke may distort the shape of some of the pellets causing an inconsistent pattern. However I think this is an 'old' problem as most of the buckshot availabe now has an added shot 'buffer' to help cushion the shot as it passes through the choke. Let me know if I'm blowin' smoke.

Either way....go to the range and check the patterns. I've also heard that 00 and 000 behave differently. Try it out.

Gateholio
09-18-2005, 10:11 PM
My experiences have been that a full or modifed choke will give you a MUCH better pattern than IC or Cyl.

But the only way to tell is to go out and shoot it.

I was patterning a 20 gu single shot that I bought years ago for $20. I am going to use it asa 'truck' grouse gun to save the finish on my nice guns.

It shoots VERY low. So much that I will need to aim well above the grouse to avoid blowing it to shreds.

So you never know until you try.;)

ruger#1
09-18-2005, 10:12 PM
barrel length is also another thing to consider