PDA

View Full Version : Boars (european big pigs) in Canada?

H Wally
10-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Just something I was thinking about - with wild pig problems all over the world - feral pigs in Hawaii, the states, NZ, Australia, and Wild Boars running nuts in Europe, do we have any trotting around in BC or the rest of Canada?

I heard of some in Alberta, and I guess our large predators could make short work of them, but I really like the look of those large european boars! (Apparently they taste amazing too!)

Glenny
10-30-2008, 10:17 AM
I heard there was some wild hogs running around the valley some time ago. I think the chilliwack area. Escapees gone wild. Oink

10-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I heard on here once that there were some up near Harrison.
also,

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17705&highlight=wild+pigs&page=3

300H&H
10-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Ive heard of them in the lower mainland and up north (maybe Kamloops). And even (rumor) in the Kelowna area.
I also heard, if you see one you can shoot it. No tag needed. I think the COs are okay with the no tag part. Does anyone know for sure ?

BiG Boar
10-30-2008, 11:20 AM
just be careful the farmer doesnt see!

Steeleco
10-30-2008, 11:31 AM
I think the rumor of pigs loose in the Fraser valley are old tales. With the amount of people in the field all year long, someone on here would have seen something at sometime and told the story!!!

I've also heard of them loose in the Peace country, but again they must be old stories??

Leaseman
10-30-2008, 11:41 AM
The pigs were escapees back in the early 80's on the east side of harrison.... we actually hunted them a few times, found sign, but that was about it!!

hunter33
10-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Check out this link,

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/05/05/cgy-boars.html

I have also heard that they dig dens large enough that when tractors drive over them the roof of the den collaopses and they get stuck. If this was happening in the valley i'm sure we would be hearing about it.

H Wally
10-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Hmm. I'm almost sorry they aren't around more. A boar would be a fun hunt.

For the amount of damage they cause though, I suppose it's good they aren't around.

Wolfman
10-30-2008, 01:14 PM
There are quite a few people who have hunts for these critters on their ranches in Alberta.

Wolfman

rishu_pepper
10-30-2008, 02:18 PM
I assume boar hunting is usually done over bait? At least that's what I've read on US forums.

riflebuilder
10-30-2008, 02:26 PM
We hunted pigs all the time when I lived in Texas. The typical hunt was either out of blinds over bait or spotting while driving on ranch roads. The meat is great and quite lean for pork. I love hunting them but if not controlled they can realy make a mess in a hurry. It is better for us to travel to hunt pigs than to have them here.

whitespringer
10-30-2008, 02:27 PM
I would love to get my hands on some bacon.:biggrin:

Shermdog
10-30-2008, 02:29 PM
what kinda mess do they make?

elkdom
10-30-2008, 03:42 PM
what kinda mess do they make?

first is they make "piggee poo" lol
and they tear up crops(unbelievable amout of damage) by rootin up plants, trees, I had 6 russian wild boar for several years, tiny little piggiees when I got them about size of small house cat! I penned them in with heavy lumber fence, they ate the fence, I dug 24 inches deep, a trench then burried heavy guage page wire fence,they dug under it, part of the pig pen was built containing a concrete foundation 14 ft by 24 ft and six inches thick, over a period of 5 years they rooted up, tore apart, and ATE the friggen concrete! mostly chewed it into little pieces, fuuny thing in the fall, I would take home large straw bale about 1000 pounder, unload it in thier compound, then they would dig under the bale, make tunnels, lay there in cold weather, I would go outside at minus -40 and no pigs to be seen! shake the feed bucket and out they come in single file! lmao,, they grew to wiegh about 200 kilo, hairy- scary looking things with big tusks, and they are VERY smart! OH and one more thing when they were about 2 years old I bought a domestic "pink pig" about 150 pounds live wieght, brought the pink pig home, thought I would let it live with the wild boars, big mistake, imediatly upon entering the pen, the wild boars attacked the domestic pig and litterly tore it to pieces in seconds, scariest thing I ever saw! I didnt have time to even think what to do to stop them!! In 30 minutes they ate the whole domestic pig, nothing but blood in the pen, no bones, no skin, no scull, nothing left of the domestic pig!!

Chris76239
10-30-2008, 05:35 PM
EEK, than sounds like horror show. Not sure I want wild boar running around the valley.

Barracuda
10-30-2008, 07:19 PM
woke up with a few sows :biggrin:

elkdom
10-30-2008, 07:29 PM
woke up with a few sows :biggrin:

just a few??? lol

So whats the differance between a pig and a hunter???

A pig dont turn into a hunter after 10 beers !!!!!

Scottish Warrior
10-31-2008, 12:03 AM
and they tear up crops(unbelievable amout of damage) by rootin up plants, trees, I had 6 russian wild boar for several years, tiny little piggiees when I got them about size of small house cat! I penned them in with heavy lumber fence, they ate the fence, I dug 24 inches deep, a trench then burried heavy guage page wire fence,they dug under it, part of the pig pen was built containing a concrete foundation 14 ft by 24 ft and six inches thick, over a period of 5 years they rooted up, tore apart, and ATE the friggen concrete! mostly chewed it into little pieces, fuuny thing in the fall, I would take home large straw bale about 1000 pounder, unload it in thier compound, then they would dig under the bale, make tunnels, lay there in cold weather, I would go outside at minus -40 and no pigs to be seen! shake the feed bucket and out they come in single file! lmao,, they grew to wiegh about 200 kilo, hairy- scary looking things with big tusks, and they are VERY smart! OH and one more thing when they were about 2 years old I bought a domestic "pink pig" about 150 pounds live wieght, brought the pink pig home, thought I would let it live with the wild boars, big mistake, imediatly upon entering the pen, the wild boars attacked the domestic pig and litterly tore it to pieces in seconds, scariest thing I ever saw! I didnt have time to even think what to do to stop them!! In 30 minutes they ate the whole domestic pig, nothing but blood in the pen, no bones, no skin, no scull, nothing left of the domestic pig!!

Pics pls.

Of the boars not the carnage.

ElkMasterC
10-31-2008, 02:52 AM
Brick Top (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0285495/): And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig shit, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig".
From the Movie "Snatch"

Note to self: Don't p!$$ off Elkdom.

ratherbefishin
10-31-2008, 07:06 AM
if they were still there,it would be very appearent-on my trip to NewZealand last spring-you could easily see the rooted up fields even from a distance.They travel in packs and wreck havoc on pastures, fields,meadows- and farmers want them gone

Old Boar
11-03-2008, 04:48 PM
On Kauai in the Hawaiian Islands, they have regular pig hunting seasons with the terrain organized into zones with various rules per zone or unit.

"Kauai is the oldest and most northerly of the seven major Hawaiian islands. Dubbed the "Garden Island" for it's lush tropical rain forests, Kauai offers a variety of terrains and wildlife for the hunting enthusiast.

Three game mammal species are open to hunting on the Garden Island, Columbian Blacktail deer (introduced in 1961), Feral goats, and Feral pigs."

Hunting feral pigs....

"The feral pig was introduced by the first Polynesian voyagers. A hybrid evolved after the first European travelers brought the domestic hog. The Feral Polynesian Boar averages 125 pounds. The hybrid cross averages 180 pounds with occasional trophies up to 400 pounds being heard of.

The Feral Pig season is year round in certain hunting units. Other areas have a special "Still Hunt" season which starts in February and extends through the month of June. Either sex is open to hunting. Recently DLNR officials have enstated a tag/lottery system for the first month of February due to the increasing numbers of hunters each year. This is to regulate the mass of some 2000 Kauai hunters on opening day.

There are several different methods of hunting the Feral Pig. Some like to have their trusty rifle, muzzleloader, or bow and try still hunting. Others prefer the "extreme" method of "dog & knife". Hunting dogs are used to track and hold down a pig while the hunter dispatches it with just his knife. This can be extremely thrilling as tackling a 200 pound boar with tusks up to 4 inches in length can put you in a very dangerous situation."

How many would hunt with just a dog and a knife....hmm?

Legi0n
11-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Ive heard of them in the lower mainland and up north (maybe Kamloops). And even (rumor) in the Kelowna area.
I also heard, if you see one you can shoot it. No tag needed. I think the COs are okay with the no tag part. Does anyone know for sure ?

There is NO OPEN SEASON FOR ANY WILDLIFE – except as indicated in this Synopsis. It is unlawful to hunt at any time during the year except within the open season, or by authority of a permit issued under the Wildlife Act.

kako99
11-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I have seen them in Vanderhoof, my uncle saw this black thing running around so he went to take a look and next thing he knows the thing is running at him so he let one go beside it and it was about 15' in front of him before he let another one go and had to drop it we took it to the Co's up there and they said if we see any more to shoot them 2 days later we saw the rest of the family and took a few more.

ElkMasterC
11-03-2008, 10:01 PM
There is NO OPEN SEASON FOR ANY WILDLIFE – except as indicated in this Synopsis. It is unlawful to hunt at any time during the year except within the open season, or by authority of a permit issued under the Wildlife Act.

Feral hogs aren't wildlife, and aren't covered by the regs.

ElkMasterC
11-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I have seen them in Vanderhoof, my uncle saw this black thing running around so he went to take a look and next thing he knows the thing is running at him so he let one go beside it and it was about 15' in front of him before he let another one go and had to drop it we took it to the Co's up there and they said if we see any more to shoot them 2 days later we saw the rest of the family and took a few more.

Did you eat them?

Were they pig-a-licious?

gamehunter6o
11-03-2008, 11:51 PM
I'm on the committee of the Tokoroa Pig Hunting Club, Est 1975 and membership of 1000. Pigs are hunted with dogs that are quiet running, (trail barkers are shot) and good arse biters. Big pigs are usually "bailed" ( dogs stand back and bark and hunter catchs up and dispatchs pig) or are held by ears by dogs called "holders" and hunter "sticks" pig under the throat where arteries cross in front of heart. I want to warn any woman whos partner takes up pighunting, PIG HUNTING IS A DISEASE and there is no cure. Pig hunters have to have a regular fix. I understand there are feral feral european pigs in Alberta. Check hunt Alberta web site.

Barracuda
11-04-2008, 12:06 AM
you guys dont use dogs that are open trailers at all? In Oz i was told that some are open and most are not the ones that strike of the ute and then bay up are not the catch dogs .I have hounds here and i figure pig hunting with dogs would be a whole lot of adrenaline.

I have hunted pigs in California ( I cant believe that was 15 years almost) before but not with dogs.

what breed of dogs do you use for pigs in NZ

elkdom
11-04-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm on the committee of the Tokoroa Pig Hunting Club, Est 1975 and membership of 1000. Pigs are hunted with dogs that are quiet running, (trail barkers are shot) and good arse biters. Big pigs are usually "bailed" ( dogs stand back and bark and hunter catchs up and dispatchs pig) or are held by ears by dogs called "holders" and hunter "sticks" pig under the throat where arteries cross in front of heart. I want to warn any woman whos partner takes up pighunting, PIG HUNTING IS A DISEASE and there is no cure. Pig hunters have to have a regular fix. I understand there are feral feral european pigs in Alberta. Check hunt Alberta web site.

aww! you guys are so civalized ! here in Canada it is not uncommon to be surrounded by (Tree Huggers ) or be thwarted by (Vegi-tarians) as you are attempting to sneak up on an (all beef patty ona sesame seed bunn) and sometimes you may even get caught drivin with out your seatbelt fastened! thats really scarey!!!

ElkMasterC
11-04-2008, 12:20 AM
aww! you guys are so civalized ! here in Canada it is not uncommon to be surrounded by (Tree Huggers ) or be thwarted by (Vegi-tarians) as you are attempting to sneak up on an (all beef patty ona sesame seed bunn) and sometimes you may even get caught drivin with out your seatbelt fastened! thats really scarey!!!

LMAO... I dunno... I'll take the Boars any day!

You?

gamehunter6o
11-04-2008, 12:35 AM
what breed of dogs do you use for pigs in NZ[/quote]

Dogs we use in NZ are usually cattle dog type dogs (border collie or blue heeler) crossed with greyhound or pit bull type "nuggety" dogs. Pig dogs are never a purebreed anything. To put it correctly they've got to be mongrels. Pig dogs as they are called are advertised as such in newspapers and for sale sites on line. Dogs have to be tough and fast. A good dog will sell for $1000, atop dog may go for $5000. Pig hunting in NZ is done in thick bush and in our area in thick blackberry under plantation pine forest. Canvas leggings and leather gloves etc.

gamehunter6o
11-04-2008, 01:13 AM
FOUND IT; If you want to find wild pigs go to Alberta Outdoorsman Forum, Hunt Discussion, Wild boar on 21st may 2008. If you BC guys get caught poaching "their" pigs don't say I sent you. Just remember if I missed, I ment to miss.

K-1
11-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Check out 'boar dog.com', lots of info. and pics. on pig hunting.

Scottish Warrior
11-04-2008, 09:08 PM
, (trail barkers are shot)

I am sure I am going to get called all sorts of names for having a opinion on this topic, but.....................so be it.

Shooting a dog because it barks is totally phucking ridicules. Find it a good home or whatever if it does not work out for pig hunting. :evil:

No, I am not a "tree hugger" or anything like it.

gamehunter6o
11-04-2008, 10:31 PM
Shooting a dog because it barks is totally phucking ridicules. Find it a good home or whatever if it does not work out for pig hunting. :evil:

No, I am not a "tree hugger" or anything like it.[/quote]
The sad fact of the matter is finding homes for dogs is not easy as all dogs in NZ must be registered with the local council every year $50-70. The SPCA euthanize 1000s of unwanted dogs (and cats) that they are unable to house. Sorry if I called it like it is but dogs that are used to running loose and hunting the bush can become problem bored and nuisance dogs when confined to a so called "good home". What I was trying to emphasize was that dogs must be quiet running or the pigs will out run them.

elkdom
11-04-2008, 10:50 PM

I tried to tell you! but you didnt listen! OH well lol ! on another topic its snowing here, moose ,elk and deer moving around big time with incomming weather front ! why dont you drop by for some 'tea' and later you and I can go out and wack us some deer?? In a civalized manner though !

gamehunter6o
11-05-2008, 12:35 AM
I tried to tell you! but you didnt listen! OH well lol ! on another topic its snowing here, moose ,elk and deer moving around big time with incomming weather front ! why dont you drop by for some 'tea' and later you and I can go out and wack us some deer?? In a civalized manner though !
Dear Elkdom, I'm a treehugger but I don't do it in the daylight or in a group. You see in NZ treehuggers are those that love the forest and fight to save it from the loggers and we have been very successful. NZ has a big percentage locked up in Crown land where we can now hunt thanks to the efforts of treehuggers. Treehuggers are not animal rights activists.

If you want to prove a dog is mans best friend, just lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of you car and see who's pleased to see you 10 mins later.
See ya, Neil

Ltbullken
11-05-2008, 06:41 AM
just be careful the farmer doesnt see!

If you see them in the woods - SHOOT 'EM! They're feral and nothing a farmer or a CO says is of any consequence. Feral pigs can be shot and yes... feral horses can even be shot (even a rancher with horses told me this about horses btw)! If they're not penned, they're legal game. I'll brew up some pop corn now me thinks!

Hmmmm, gooood eatin'!

Ltbullken
11-05-2008, 06:46 AM

As mentioned before, they are feral, not covered by the regs.

Barracuda
11-05-2008, 09:26 AM
at large is not feral , advise like yours could land you in some legal hot water . Judgeing by some of your posts it seem like you very well be an Officer LOL

Ltbullken
11-05-2008, 11:12 AM
at large is not feral , advise like yours could land you in some legal hot water . Judgeing by some of your posts it seem like you very well be an Officer LOL

There's a difference between 'at large' on posted, fenced land and loose in the wild.

huntwriter
11-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Hog definition:

Feral hog.
A feral hog is a domesticated pig breed that either has escaped or is purposely turned loose into the wild. Often feral hogs interbreed with wild hogs, where they exist, or with feral hogs of other breeds. A domestic hog remains a domestic animal even if it is kept in a high fence enclosure on game farm or hunting preserve regardless of the size of the enclosure. It only becomes feral when the animal is no longer under animal husbandry control, i.e. turnd into to the wild or escaped.

Wild hog.
A wild hog is an animal that is a pure breed Russian or European wild hog.
The pure breed "wild hog" retains that description regardless of it been kept in a animal husbandry system (farm, zoo, game park or hunting preserve) or as a species introduced to other parts of the world into the wild.

Barracuda
11-05-2008, 11:42 AM
There's a difference between 'at large' on posted, fenced land and loose in the wild.

the idiom at large would mean not confined or captive so an animal at large would in fact be loose .

If someone were to listen to you then they could go shoot someones horse that was turned out on crown land for a break or had gotten free...:lol: Well you know the rest .

Why dont you give it a try and tell us how it works out

I guess there is a reason why Rightenant is not a designated rank

huntwriter
11-05-2008, 12:12 PM
the idiom at large would mean not confined or captive so an animal at large would in fact be loose .

If someone were to listen to you then they could go shoot someones horse that was turned out on crown land for a break or had gotten free...:lol: Well you know the rest .

Why dont you give it a try and tell us how it works out

I guess there is a reason why Rightenant is not a designated rank

You’re absolutely right Barracuda. At large, is an expression usually used in politics and in reference to media (editor at large). At large means free to roam at will but not out of human control, as in free range animal husbandry. A horse or any domesticated animal that is turned loose on a free range such as crownland open for livestock grazing is at large. If the animal is released or turned loose into the wild and not any loner under the control of a husbandry system it becomes feral.

Ltbullken
11-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Wild horses and pigs destroy habitat and anything introduced and gone feral should be shot and removed from the land. Wild horses in Alberta are a damned nuisance, threat to habitat and other livestock, and the govt can't now figure a way to get rid of them. Can't risk the same happening here. One horse at large is the next feral breed stock.

I guess if my dog was running loose on crown land while a rancher who shot it should equally held to account, but we know where the blame lies... although my dog was 'at large'.

... popcorn's ready!

hunter33
11-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I would be very carefull shooting anything not listed in the regs. In BC we have about 400 true wild horses, in the Nemaiah Valley, and you can not shoot them. But if you want to shoot random game, let me know how it turns out.

huntwriter
11-05-2008, 03:16 PM
I guess if my dog was running loose on crown land while a rancher who shot it should equally held to account, but we know where the blame lies... although my dog was 'at large'.

... popcorn's ready!

A dog running wild is a very different matter then livestock on free range grazing land. The farmer/ ranger has to obtain permission to have his livestock turned loose on grazing land. The open grazing ranges are fenced and gated (cattle guards). Livestock cannot randomly wander where they want outside of the fenced area.

A dog running loose without supervision is not restricted and can roam wherever it wants to, making it a “feral” or “straying” animal.

Hogs, especially in over populated areas, can inflict great damage to environment and wildlife. But where the populations are strictly controlled they ad an exiting and challenging option to hunting.

sealevel
11-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I bc if you have something like pigs, bison ,exodic goats get onto crown land you have 3 days to get them back. If you can`t get them back on private land they are to be shot. This happened to a friend of mine about 5 years ago his bufflo got out after three days he had to shoot them. I was fighting fire in kelowna and missed the bison hunt.

Ltbullken
11-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I would be very carefull shooting anything not listed in the regs. In BC we have about 400 true wild horses, in the Nemaiah Valley, and you can not shoot them. But if you want to shoot random game, let me know how it turns out.

400... really?

That's why there's no moose there!! Now I know why...

Ltbullken
11-05-2008, 06:16 PM

Laws are very clear that stallions and swine are not permitted to be at large. Remedies are not always clearly spelled out but animals that destroy habitat can be destroyed.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-05-2008, 06:40 PM

... popcorn's ready!

UIf yer dog is running loose on my crown grazing lease harrasing my cattle yer dang right I would shoot it ... and would be rightous in doing so

huntwriter
11-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Remedies are not always clearly spelled out but animals that destroy habitat can be destroyed. So you spell the remedies out according to what you think is right. Great! Just make sure the rancher or farmer is not nearby with a shotgun or rifle when you're out protecting the environment by shooting livestock.

Ltbullken
11-05-2008, 10:39 PM
UIf yer dog is running loose on my crown grazing lease harrasing my cattle yer dang right I would shoot it ... and would be rightous in doing so
Absolutey - I agree with you.

Barracuda
11-05-2008, 10:41 PM

this has been covered and if you use the search feature it will really help.

OK Folks it seems as if little Mrs Information has been getting around. I suggest some folks protect themselves by opening a book or seeking out the pertinant(sp) acts and regulations before finding themselves in court

cariboo crawler
03-21-2011, 03:54 PM

Hmmmm, a fellow named Picton comes to mind!!!:sad:

fearnodeer
03-21-2011, 04:21 PM
If you shoot one post it because you would be the first person i knowto have ever shot one. I wounder why there there is no unicorn.

Rugernator
03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
I have an uncle in europe that hunts them, and i can tell you first hand.. The meat is amazing.

brad ferris
03-21-2011, 08:45 PM
this has been covered and if you use the search feature it will really help.

OK Folks it seems as if little Mrs Information has been getting around. I suggest some folks protect themselves by opening a book or seeking out the pertinant(sp) acts and regulations before finding themselves in court

If someone were to illegally shoot my dog or horse court would be the least of their worries. But otherwise I agree with your statement. Lots of guys on here think they know what they can and can not do. It would be wise to find out for certain before touching that trigger.