PDA

View Full Version : Cariboo deer starting rut..

srupp
10-29-2008, 09:23 PM
My hunting partner Tim got out for a couple hours today and shot a HUGE HUGE HUGE 2 point mulie the biggest 2 point rack I have ever seen...and the bucks neck was swollen and his leg glands stinky..rut stinky..its supposed to snow tonite...

will TRY and get a photo of the big 2x2...mass and length....

cheers

Steven

todbartell
10-29-2008, 11:04 PM
seen a lil spiker on Sunday that had a hint of love in his mind...the doe didn't put up with much

xcaribooer
10-30-2008, 01:38 AM
good news. I will be back up that way rememberence weekend looking for one more.

Glenny
10-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Good news..Got my trigger finger a twitching. I will be heading up 2nd week Nov.

hunter1947
10-30-2008, 05:43 AM
The bucks should be starting to rut up in the hi elevations within the next week here on the island???.

doubled
10-30-2008, 05:54 AM
All the does I saw last weekend (20) had nice clean white arses. This generally indicates it is still a week or more away. Once they get close. their arses get dirtier and then the bicjs come out to play.

Fisher-Dude
10-30-2008, 05:57 AM
seen a lil spiker on Sunday that had a hint of love in his mind...the doe didn't put up with much

Reminds me of Rishu chasing NHT around...:tongue:

Within a week, those tastey 2 points will become stinky. I shot one deer on Oct 28 last year that was nearly odourless, then another on Nov 3 that I could still smell on my gear (and dog :? ) for 2 weeks. It seems the last few days of October are a big transition for those muley bucks.

Leaseman
10-30-2008, 07:41 AM
The blacktails down here in the LML are gettin' goin' too.... have two favorite hay fields that i check on the way home and a huge three point has taken up residence with 8 does and on the other field, two lesser bucks have a couple of does in the opposite ends of each other.... see a few other bucks sniffing around these groups...

boonerbuck
10-30-2008, 02:17 PM
I've seen quite a few decent rubs already. I've also been seeing the young bucks with their noses up the doe's you know whats.

I woke up to some fresh snow on the ground this morning. There must be a decent dump up high I assume. We will go and take a peak at the migration route tomorrow and maybe put my game cam on a trail if I find some good action.

Some of the biggest bucks I have seen have been during those last couple of days of Oct when that first good dump of snow happens combined with some pre rut action.:smile:

mulerider
10-30-2008, 03:50 PM
I work in and around Nanoose Bay. Saw 4 large bucks in 20 min of driving. Two of them were hot on the tails of does.

roblikestohunt
10-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Little drive around the kamloops area this morning, Up red lake road, back down around pass lake, up sawmill lake road, saw 9 does, 1- 2 point buck, and a nice helthy looking black bear,but no big bucks, nothing chasing the does around yet, is it early in the kamloops area???

cariboobill
11-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Hello from the southern Cariboo. Today there is little sign of any rut around here. The small bucks are hanging out and starting to chase the does around, but nothing with any mass or length yet. The past weeks it has been like early fall and not the first week of Nov. Last night it was 6 degrees and on Halloween it was 7, all above zero. We do not expect below temps until later this coming week and nothing like our normals. Given the normal spring birthing cycle around here, the later part of Nov, will have the big guys looking for some action.

Shooter
11-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I just got back from southern 5-02 and managed a 2 point. It was the only buck we saw in a week of hunting but it WAS with 3 doe's. Its neck wasn't swollen at all and it didn't stink yet either.

Cdn-Redneck
11-02-2008, 05:01 PM
I've got a doe draw for 5-02b. heading up next weekend.

Caveman
11-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Was out with my son this morning. Spotted two four points hanging with a handful of does. Glassed them from about 700yds and decided to make a stalk to the clump of trees they entered. Got busted by a couple does. I had my son do a little "Bush Push" and brought a nice 150-160 class 4X4 out, but I was hoping the larger, wider one I saw with him would show so I let him walk. So the big boys are at least started to get interested around here.

boonerbuck
11-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Saw some big fresh rubs around 70 Mile House the other day.