PDA

View Full Version : Stupid CBC Spirit Bear Story

Ltbullken
10-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Just saw a rediculous story on the CBC BC web page, link attached.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/10/29/bc-elkford-spirit-bear.html

Claims a 'spirit bear' visited Elkford! :roll: When you see the photo, it is plainly a cinnamon phase black bear. Kermode's exist only in a small range in the Pacific North West Coast, not in the SE Kootenays. There is no 'spirit bear', but kermode bears. This is the sort of eco-cratic, pro-environmentalist, propaganda that anti-hunters like to spread. Write the CBC and point the error and criticize the poor research and reportage this has come to typify of the CBC! Total politicized crap as far as I am concerned! :mad:

Charlie
10-29-2008, 05:35 PM
You saw that too huh... What a crock. I also have a problem with the term "Spirit Bear" its Kermode, plain and simple.

Sad part is our tax dollars were spent spreading this propaganda.

bigmike
10-29-2008, 05:41 PM
where can i hunt kermode bears???

Ltbullken
10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
How about we call kermodes 'spirit phase' black bears!! RITALMHO!!!:D

NaStY
10-29-2008, 05:59 PM

You cant hunt them.......

bsa30-06
10-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Apparently in Elkford, but you better hurry cause according to the comments posted on the story they have alot of "trigger happy hunters" there.:-)
As said above you cant hunt kermode bears, thought i better add that in case somebody thought i was being serious.

sawmill
10-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Check out Guns and Yoga on open chat,I strayed a bit but GOOD GOD:shock:
Every bead wearing,welfare/ Govermement grant recieving/Artsy Fartsy/non contributing ******* out there is having "Ceremonies to Honour the Spirit bear"It has already been trapped and relocated and it`s back again,eating garbage.How many times do BLACK bear get moved.Around here ,
almost never.BANG.

I bet the CO`s are having a shit watching their Christmas fund go down the tubes cause there is NO way they can shoot this one.
They are gonna have to fly it to Churchill Manitoba and convince it to be a real small Polar bear.

MB_Boy
10-29-2008, 06:30 PM
They are gonna have to fly it to Churchill Manitoba and convince it to be a real small Polar bear.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ltbullken
10-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Apparently in Elkford, but you better hurry cause according to the comments posted on the story they have alot of "trigger happy hunters" there.:-)
As said above you cant hunt kermode bears, thought i better add that in case somebody thought i was being serious.

Of course we hunters like to do nothing more than kill rare protected animals! :roll:

Glenny
10-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Check out Guns and Yoga on open chat,I strayed a bit but GOOD GOD:shock:
Every bead wearing,welfare/ Govermement grant recieving/Artsy Fartsy/non contributing ******* out there is having "Ceremonies to Honour the Spirit bear"It has already been trapped and relocated and it`s back again,eating garbage.How many times do BLACK bear get moved.Around here ,
almost never.BANG.

I bet the CO`s are having a shit watching their Christmas fund go down the tubes cause there is NO way they can shoot this one.
This is bear racism! now where is my yoga mat. I need to de-compress! :cry:

10-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Just saw a rediculous story on the CBC BC web page, link attached.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/10/29/bc-elkford-spirit-bear.html

Claims a 'spirit bear' visited Elkford! :roll: When you see the photo, it is plainly a cinnamon phase black bear. Kermode's exist only in a small range in the Pacific North West Coast, not in the SE Kootenays. There is no 'spirit bear', but kermode bears. This is the sort of eco-cratic, pro-environmentalist, propaganda that anti-hunters like to spread. Write the CBC and point the error and criticize the poor research and reportage this has come to typify of the CBC! Total politicized crap as far as I am concerned! :mad:

Tony Hamilton should know better...!

Hagen
10-29-2008, 07:02 PM
day, 07:30 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/image.php?u=257&dateline=1224868920 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?u=257)MB_Boy (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?u=257) http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/statusicon/user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_349671", true);
FunHog

Re: Stupid CBC Spirit Bear Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawmill http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=349670#post349670)

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

x 2 *****

boxhitch
10-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Spirit Bear ? or spirit stuck in a bear ?
Maybe it would be better off released from the confines, a special skinning ceremony ?

budismyhorse
10-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Tony Hamilton should know better...!

It does sound like he never actually was quoted as saying he thinks it is a spirit bear (please tell me he has to know the difference!)....only that it was "coat color variation ". Typical CBC twisting it to sound like an expert is saying it is a Spirit Bear. Clever journalism to get your agenda across. Mr Hamilton should have known better and refused comment when the CBC (greeny tabloid sideshow) comes knocking.

Steeleco
10-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I understand the wanton need to protect this rare creature, but if they figure this white colour gene is isolated to Princes Royal island, then how come bears are showing up hundreds of miles inland from the area they're only supposed to be? I beginning to think this is no more than a super recessive gene. Just my opinion, no flaming req'd!!
As far as the Comunist Broadcasting corp is concerned, I watch another channel for just this reason!!

boxhitch
10-29-2008, 09:49 PM
I beginning to think this is no more than a super recessive gene. Just my opinion, no flaming req'd!!

You wouldn't be wrong. White bears have been spotted in several places in BC

Edward Teach
10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Write the CBC and point the error and criticize the poor research and reportage this has come to typify of the CBC! Total politicized crap as far as I am concerned!

Why? They won't listen! Cities full of clueless urban eco-wannabes will tell them they don't have to either.

bigwhiteys
10-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Spirit Bears For LEH!

daycort
10-29-2008, 11:13 PM
The spirit bear thing is funny. Last year on the way to Rupert I saw a blonde blacke bear and took some pics. When I arrived at my Hotel at Terrace the guy I was traveling with told the clerk about the bear and he said we were lucky. Not to many people see a kermode bear. I told him that bear was lucky that there wasn't a season for him. The clerk wasn't to helpful after that.

rutting bull
10-29-2008, 11:51 PM
They could do a story on a rug I have that looks like that bear! just a little bigger........:biggrin::biggrin:

Ltbullken
10-30-2008, 12:00 AM
...if they figure this white colour gene is isolated to Princes Royal island, then how come bears are showing up hundreds of miles inland from the area they're only supposed to be? I beginning to think this is no more than a super recessive gene.

Like where else...?

sawmill
10-30-2008, 03:53 AM
Like where else...?
Terrace.Smithers.Hazelton(that one got shot by an Indian WHOOPS -Steward Of The Land):shock:

Steeleco
10-30-2008, 07:38 AM
Terrace.Smithers.Hazelton(that one got shot by an Indian WHOOPS -Steward Of The Land):shock:

Thanks Sawmill, and now Elkford. Just how many are the likes of us seeing, that aren't getting media attention? I'm not saying I'm rushing to get one, but I no longer think they are as unique as first thought.

The fact that they seem more prevalent on PRI is only because the gene is captive to the island and is passed on more readily.

budismyhorse
10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks Sawmill, and now Elkford. Just how many are the likes of us seeing, that aren't getting media attention? I'm not saying I'm rushing to get one, but I no longer think they are as unique as first thought.

The fact that they seem more prevalent on PRI is only because the gene is captive to the island and is passed on more readily.

AHHH, Steeleco you tapped into the funniest part of this whole thing (to me). The point you are making will make the actual "Spirit Bear" junkies cringe!

To the non-governmental environmental groups Spirit Bears are ghost white bears that supposedly only occur in a certain area and are used by certain groups to push a huge green agenda.....stopping development and specifically logging of these certain areas....fair enough (annoying to keep saying "certain" but I am not naming names and getting into this subject).

point: they will cringe at this CBC story because if it is proven that these bears exists elsewhere in the province and aren't as rare as these groups say they are.......they lose political power.....

If those groups were smart...and they are....they will get on this and squash that story and call it what it is ...a color phase black bear...not a famed spirit bear. My guess is they are working on something right now to counter that crap story.

J_T
10-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Bud,
Over the years I've seen this colour phased black in numerous places. The Blueberry Paulson near Rossland for one. Sitkum Creek (6 mile lakes) for another, Monument Creek in the Slocan another, Wildhorse Creek in the EK yet another. I've seen them in the 80's, the 90's and still now.

When I hunt blacks, these are the locations I hunt, cause I don't want a black black bear hide. I prefer blonds and I know that gene is prevelent in these locations.

I've sure seen some pretty blonds in my time, but none that have awakened me spiritually.:tongue:

I'm not hunting a Kermoade or a Spirit bear, I'm hunting a black bear. Screw the greenies.
And your right, the CO should have been cautious in any conversation. he should have stated, "its just a black bear".

budismyhorse
10-30-2008, 09:48 AM
he should have stated, "its just a black bear".

JT, He likely did say that.....enter the clever journalism.....

I've interviewed with press and my family has plenty of experience, it is amazing how they twist things around by leaving bits and pieces out.

I won't lie, I've seen them around myself....a good friend of mine has a rug...oops.

that's why the ENGO's want a hard and fast distinction between Spirit Bears and color phase blacks (scientifically, the distinction currently does not exist)....even though we all know they are all the same bear.

This subject gets very confusing when you really get into it. Back in 1905 a scientist named the creamy color phase coat of a black bear as a kermode, and therefore any color phase like that should be called a kermode.....years later ENGO's used a specific color phase of white or Ghost-like on the central coast to push their agenda like I mentioned earlier. They wanted it to be a distinct species of bear....but cant prove it.....but they still think the genetic variation is seperate and rare/isolated to that specific area. That's why they won't want to hear a story about a Spirit Bear (white) in another location besides the central coast....

There are Glacier Bears (kind of blue in color) in the Tatshenshini area but no one seems to talk about them much.

Steeleco
10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
There are Glacier Bears (kind of blue in color) in the Tatshenshini area but no one seems to talk about them much.

That's because it's too far and too cold for the eco-freaks to travel there and hug something!!

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against saving a few unique bears on a small island, hell it's good for tourism. But soon, given the idea, they'll want ALL black bears saved because they may carry that gene!! :mad:

Stone Sheep Steve
10-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Spirit bear, Kermode, glacier, albino, cinnamon, black, blonde, chocolate....... They all taste the same once the hide is off.:smile:

SSS

rockdog
10-30-2008, 06:23 PM
I saw the clone to this bear last spring on the westside, he was a weiner tho so I let him walk. Had I known he was a spirit bear I would've put the brakes on him for sure! Figures, I could've been the most popular granola head in B.C. with a real "Spirit Bear" yoga mat but I s**t the bed as usual.
All kidding aside, someone sent me a pic of an albino moose awhile back, would that be a spirit moose? How devoid of pigmentation does a creature have to be to warrant the "spirit" prefix? I myself have light blonde hair and very fair skin, is there any possibility that I might be eligible for some kind of goverment protection, at the very least a small tax exemption? How about 1/2 price Skoal? I'm a Spirit Redneck, fer Crissakes! Show a little compassion. I've had sunburns that would make a tomato jealous. Doesn't anyone want to form a loose circle around me and chant? G**********n bears get all the press! F*** it, movin to Elkford.

vortex
10-30-2008, 06:34 PM
A few years ago near Sparwood I saw a sow grizzly with 2 cubs and one was pure white. At first I thought it was just an albino cub but now I realize it must have been an extremely rare...dare I say..."spirit grizzly":roll:

boxhitch
10-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Like where else...?Near Liard hotsprings, and Toad river.

Ike
10-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Like where else...?

Near Liard hotsprings, and Toad river.

There were two down in Rivers Inlet a couple of years ago as well.

Ajsawden
10-30-2008, 11:16 PM
The women in charge of Forest Ethics BC gave a presentation in my Forest Policy class today at UBC. She was going on about how terrible the logging is in the "Great Bear Rainforest" and that the "spirit" bears are endangered... A little clear cut here and there will let your bears have some feed and maybe you'll see numbers increase... i didn't have the balls to say it in class as many of my classmates ( the political scientist, not the foresters) would probably have lynched me... it was interesting though...

sawmill
10-31-2008, 04:19 AM
Wish I had been there.I would not have let any Poli-Sci pansy`s hurt you.
Next time man up and let those Rainbow warriors know they are full of shit.

Fisher-Dude
10-31-2008, 06:01 AM
I think a certain relative of mine that posts on HBC has the rug from this bear's grandpa in his basement. :shock:

Nice cinnamon phase black bear. I've been looking for ANY black bear this fall to make some doggy treats with...figures that when I wanna plunk one I don't see any shooters! The last few years I've let some good ones walk. No spirit bears, but I did see one with a white V on its chest - maybe that one should have applied for a spirit bear status card? :roll:

boxhitch
10-31-2008, 11:38 AM
No spirit bears, but I did see one with a white V on its chest - maybe that one should have applied for a spirit bear status card? :roll:Sounds like Momma may have had a visit from one of the wandering Uncles. They do get around.

Ltbullken
10-31-2008, 06:55 PM

That kinda central BC coast ain't it?

sawmill
11-01-2008, 06:11 AM
That kinda central BC coast ain't it?

Nope.Look a map,160 miles inland from Prince Rupert.Most northern point on Hiway 16.Basicly the ass end of the province.PR is 160 miles south west.

mud-dog27
11-01-2008, 04:55 PM
The women in charge of Forest Ethics BC gave a presentation in my Forest Policy class today at UBC. She was going on about how terrible the logging is in the "Great Bear Rainforest" and that the "spirit" bears are endangered... A little clear cut here and there will let your bears have some feed and maybe you'll see numbers increase... i didn't have the balls to say it in class as many of my classmates ( the political scientist, not the foresters) would probably have lynched me... it was interesting though...

shoulda told her SPIRIT bears dont exsist

and come to think of it i passed up a shot at a similar colored bear a couple months back cause he wasnt big enough......i want a spirit bear on my wall now

outdoorsman812
11-01-2008, 05:59 PM
there's a lot of color phase bears like that around, they call this bear "white??" they all must be color blind