PDA

View Full Version : LEH moose success in Reg-4

rutting bull
10-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Long time reader, basically first time poster! Well here goes.......Had a shared LEH moose draw in reg4, and my buddy and I took the week to set out on our moose trip. The road out to our area had been completely washed out the previous year so we knew that nobody had been out there since. It is a massive washout and there was no possible way that "most people" would even attempt what we did! It was at least a 100' down and 100' back up the other side with only a little 4" in diamter tree to winch the quad too! Needless to say after 4 hours of winching, and come-a-long "ing" down and back up the slope we made it! We had our quad and quad trailer across with all our gear for the week. We had a 25km quad ride to where we set up our camp around 5pm that night. After we set up camp we did some scouting just before dark that night, set out with our quad and rifles for what we thought would be a quick little trip. Needless to say we ended up travelling WAY to far and not paying much attention to the fuel level in the quad! We had no flashlights no matches, or gear of any sort except our rifle, and just hoodies and track pants on from earlier in the day! The low fuel light came on and we still had 35km back to camp, in the dark! Well needless to say we luckily made it back to camp on 0 bars of fuel and just fumes, i swear! and man it was a pretty quiet trip back! Lesson WELL learned! After some whiskey and laughs that night we set out early the next morning to get our moose. We spent the first 2 days not seeing any bulls. We had seen a cow with 2 calves then 2 cows in a slew on day 2, and sat there for hours to see if a bull would come. Nothing! Back to camp for the night. Day 3, sleeping that night was soooo cold! had to warn up by the fire a couple times during the night. Had a good feeling that day that the cold might get something moving. We set out early and set up on a couple different spots. Around 930-1000 we finally got some action. After some calling we got a reply! A super deep grunt with a couple chuckles at the end. I knew it was a decent bull! But to no avail he never showed! We were bumbed! After waiting around and decided that it would be best to leave the area and try again that night. In the afternoon we were just bombing around on the quad and had some action with a nice billy, bumped into 2 grizzlies and a single black. I had with me, my LEH for Goat in the area. Didnt get him but it was intense, save the story for when i get a nice billy out there! 4oclock rolls around and we head back to set up in the area we had action in the morning. We sat there calling for a couple hours then just as the sun was going down, that same grunt i heard ealier was in the area, light was getting low but he was coming in fast. Our LEH was for any bull so we had said anything with horns was going down! We had set up so we could get a shot and drop him as close to the road as possible! Out comes this dandy of a bull, wanted to shoot as soon as I saw him but I let him come in as close to the road as possible, with a couple moose under my belt and knowing how massive these animals are, the least work possible the better :lol:. So I let my Sako 300wsm do the rest. Put one in right into his neck and he did the wobble and my partner had one more in him in no time! Down he went. We were lucky enough to haul him out whole and load him into the quad trailer and have him back at camp within 2 1/2 hours. Needles to say we got pretty drunk that night :lol: and trying to not to think how we were gonna get him back up outta the washout the next day. We got to the washout the next day and it was actually pretty easy cause we used the truck to haul the qaud trailer with moose out. Deffinately going back there for a big billy! We saw 4 nice billy's and a bunch of nannies. Just gonna wait for a little more snow to push them down a little!

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq220/mustangstyle/DSC01409.jpg
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq220/mustangstyle/DSC01426.jpg
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq220/mustangstyle/DSC01398.jpg

Steeleco
10-29-2008, 11:18 AM
That's determination for you. Good for you guys, it paid off. Thanks for sharing!

Mr. Maverick
10-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Great story, very nice bull. Congrats!!

hunter1947
10-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Very nice bull moose you got ,it pays off sometimes to work hard to get into an area that has no hunting excess.
looks like you have a bull elk there as well.

Congrats on the elk and the moose ,very well done.

Welcome to the site as well.

1/2 slam
10-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Congratulations on a very nice moose.

dutchie
10-29-2008, 04:05 PM
Nice bull... Is that a 6 point Elk in one of the pictures?? If so.... more pictures are required!!

10-29-2008, 04:19 PM
That's a very nice bull guys, congrats. Sound like a gruelling trip.
Same spot I hunted moose last year I think.

greatwhitehunter
10-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Congrats, hard work pays off, eh!

doubled
10-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow, bull moose and elk. WTF??? Nice trip I would say. Nice traverse there.

ibehuntin
10-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Nice bull John, he's a pig! Well worth the extra effort. How wide is he? See out mulie huntin. Bill

rutting bull
10-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Very nice bull moose you got ,it pays off sometimes to work hard to get into an area that has no hunting excess.
looks like you have a bull elk there as well.

Congrats on the elk and the moose ,very well done.

Welcome to the site as well.

We got a 6pt bull exactaly a week after, ill post pics and a story tomorrow

rutting bull
10-30-2008, 12:37 AM
I had a guide tell me that the moose we shot was a canada moose? I was under the impression that all we had in our area was the shiras? Any input on that? He was definately over 1000lbs. He had a huge body it seemed.

Glenny
10-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Now Thats what I call adventure! Nice bullce boyce!!:p

10-30-2008, 05:43 AM
I had a guide tell me that the moose we shot was a canada moose? I was under the impression that all we had in our area was the shiras? Any input on that? He was definately over 1000lbs. He had a huge body it seemed.

The supposed line dividing Shiras and Canada moose is the Trans Canada highway. South of the TCH are Shiras, north are Canada moose.

kennyj
10-30-2008, 06:02 AM
Awesome Shiras Bull.Love the color of his antlers.Way to go!
kenny

hunter1947
10-30-2008, 06:51 AM
We got a 6pt bull exactaly a week after, ill post pics and a story tomorrow

Great can't wait http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

LeverActionJunkie
10-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Congrats thats a hell of a bull.

CoqTrophys
10-30-2008, 06:21 PM
I shot the bull in my Avatar last year in the southern E/K. I looked into the boundries for boone and crockett and they dont accept any moose from canada as a shiras. I guess there boundary is the US Canada border.

TriggerMag
10-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Congrats , that's a great BULL

TM

GoatGuy
10-31-2008, 08:12 AM
I shot the bull in my Avatar last year in the southern E/K. I looked into the boundries for boone and crockett and they dont accept any moose from canada as a shiras. I guess there boundary is the US Canada border.

There are around seven? pre-reqs to meeting a sub-species.

SCI counts anything south of the No.1 hwy as Shiras. Of course it's an arbitrarily assigned line - mostly just BS for hunters.

The very SE corner of the EK might be shiras but with all the migration it's debatable at best.

Otherwise they're Canada Moose.

Nice moose.

10-31-2008, 12:01 PM
The BC MOE has a map they use for the Shiras sub-species and it includes only the East Kootenay south of the Trans Canada highway.

Safari club considers anything south of the TCH as far east as the Alberta foothills and as far west as the Mission highway (hwy # 11) in the Fraser Valley as Shiras.

Boone and Crockett uses the international boundry. So does the BC Record book, they do not recognize any moose from BC as Shiras and have no catagory for Shiras moose.

The moose in south eastern BC have never fully met the scientific criteria for Shiras, and thus should be scientifically considered all Canada moose. As GG points out the moose do not pay any attention to the maps.