PDA

View Full Version : Another first buck

Chasinracks
10-28-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just got back from area 3. After 2 unsuccessfull trips, I went back again to the same area thinking maybe i went at the wrong time so there I went.

I arrived an hour before it's illegal to shoot so i thought i'll check the spot where i planned to hang out for the next day.

On the first morning, i went straight to that spot where I saw a lot of tracks the last time i went, sat around for several hours but as usual, i begin to get bored so i thought it's time to move on to the next planned spot.

Along the way, i remember a particular spot that johnK and jelly were talking about on one of these threads and it's close by, so i thought it's time to check it out.

Soon as i got there i begin admiring the area. The location reminds me of a spot i've always seen on wildtv, a perfect spot i thought, but full of cattles. I immediately found a good place to hide the p/u and decided it would be a perfect time to go drop a coiler before i started doing a recon. Soon after, i head back to the truck then suddenly a doe and wasn't sure but i think the other one was a spiker showed up about 70 yards away. Went to grab the bino and the 7WSM, then all of a sudden herds of cattles started running towards where the deers are and spooked the heck out of everyone including myself.

I walked around and checked several locations in the area, it is really a spectacular location. I hanged around for a couple of hours nothing showed up so i went and investigate the area where the does were. I found several small trails where they came out from. I begin to realize these could be their frequent path every morning or before dusk.

Went back on the road and proceeded to the next previously planned spot. Nothing... this time not even an ounce of poop.

The following morning, i decided to go back to the same area. Found a good hiding spot about 60 yards directly from the trail. Right around 7am i tried to move to an adjacent spot for a better view of the trail. At that same moment, a doe came out again from that same trail and saw me right away. I kept still but seconds later, it darted back into the trail where it came from then disappeared.

Stayed for 3 more hours until another herds of cattles started coming in to the 'line of fire' and begin to stare at the direction where i was hiding. I think they probably begin to smell a different aroma so i left and did the second best thing- road hunting.

Went back again before dusk but before i even got to my hiding spot, not seeing me, them cows started running away towards the trail again. Dang, i guess i really begin to stunk.

That night at my sleeping spot, i decided i should go back there one more time tomorrow but change clothes (i'm getting the hint) and go to a better hiding location left side of the trail.

The following day, the last day of the hunt, i went back again as planned. I arrived early to make sure nobody will spot me, tip toed all the way to the spot without cracking any twig on the ground and settled in just before it's legal to shoot. I sat on a low ground surrounded with bushes and downed logs underneath a pine tree. Checked where the trail ends and where the small meadow starts, it's about 65 yards away... perfect! Behind me is a combination of pine trees and bushy small swampy area and about 60 yards away it's very densed area with a small hill going down to an open area and then to the swamp.

At around 7 to 7:30ish, i started thinking... behind me would actually be more likely that something would show up on that area. It's secluded and there's a small open area for them to grace around but hey, i should stay focused and stick to plan. Perhaps they are coming out a bit late today, it's warmer and they don't have to come out to warm up early.
But, i look back behind me again and THERE IT WAS! A buck with several points walking down the hill about 50 yards away! My chest starts pounding with excitement, i slowly turned around reposition my gatling-burg on top of the downed log but the buck heard me and stopped, looking in my direction and walk again behind the bushy tree. I figured he'd come out on the other side sooner or later so i aimed on that spot, waited a little bit... and yesss, he came out broad side and stopped, staring towards me. I slowly peeked at my scope but i can't see him so i looked up again, he's still there so i slowly peeked on the scope again and there he is... aimed behind the shoulders then... KABOOM!!! He jumped high, ran towards the bushes then disappeared through the densed area. My first thought was, I MISSED! But it's 50 yards..... on a 7WSM??!! No way dude! So i went to check the spot and there he was 3 yards away laying down behind the bush.
Can't think of any thing but to say WOOHOOOW it's about time!!!!

An hour later, a couple of fellow hunters from Surrey drove by, waved at them so they came down asking me if i need help. I forgot to ask their names but i'd like to thank these gentlemen for giving me a hand. Without them, i would have had a hard time bringing this buck into the p/u.

I also want to thank johnK and jelvis for leading the newbies at the right spots. Thanks gentlemen, hope to meet you both someday!http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Del

winbuckhunter
10-29-2008, 12:20 AM
nice story and congrats on the buck.. too bad the pic is so small. cant see ur trophy very well.

hunter1947
10-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Very nice deer as for yor story ,congrats.

sawmill
10-29-2008, 04:38 AM
Good for you man!

M.Dean
10-29-2008, 05:14 AM
You put your time in and it paid off!!! Great story and great buck!!!

doubled
10-29-2008, 06:04 AM
Well done, congrats on your deer.

Leaseman
10-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Great story!! Something you will always remember....Congrats!!

sneg
10-29-2008, 07:19 AM
good job , man.congrats.good on you sticking to the plan

rocksteady
10-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Congrats...Sounds like you had a good plan and it all came together...

"An hour later, a couple of fellow hunters from Surrey drove by, waved at them so they came down asking me if i need help. I forgot to ask their names but i'd like to thank these gentlemen for giving me a hand. Without them, i would have had a hard time bringing this buck into the p/u."

Examples of "good"hunters like this make up for all the negative posts that have been up recently regarding slobs, poachers , etc etc....Maybe there still is hope for us as "family"

Dirty
10-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Good job and good read. Congrats on your first buck.

DWEL
10-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Congratulations!!! Can someone try to make the pic bigger?

BigBanger
10-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Surrey !!!!!! Nice work , nice buck , good job .

Buckman
10-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Good perseverance, it paid off for you.

Jelvis
10-29-2008, 09:55 AM
That story was funtastic and very well done, you got a nice buck now. You are a bona-fide hunter in my books.
Great persistance and shooting skills well done first timer.
Jelly-chasinracks-did-funtastic.

weatherby_man
10-29-2008, 10:10 AM
Way to go Chasinracks!! Great story, great perseverance!

Oh boy,,,,goin back out myself real soon,,,,not soon enough though. :-)

Mr. Maverick
10-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Great story, nice buck. Congrats!!

1/2 slam
10-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Thats a nice one for a first buck.

Chasinracks
10-29-2008, 06:46 PM
THANKS for all the good comments guys!!!

If i could only figure out how to make that picture larger, I would. I got a large picture on my file but the file is too large to upload. Hopefully somebody's gonna show me here soon. Thanks again!

NaStY
10-29-2008, 06:48 PM
THANKS for all the good comments guys!!!

If i could only figure out how to make that picture larger, I would. I got a large picture on my file but the file is too large to upload. Hopefully somebody's gonna show me here soon. Thanks again!

email it too me

moosehunter16
10-29-2008, 06:51 PM
nice buck. Congrats

Chasinracks
10-29-2008, 07:17 PM
email it too me

2 pics emailed

NaStY
10-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Here you go.....

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb240/becauseican_2007/IMGP0537.jpg (http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb240/becauseican_2007/IMGP0537.jpg)

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb240/becauseican_2007/IMGP0539a.jpg

Chasinracks
10-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks nasty 500! how did you do that?!!!

NaStY
10-29-2008, 07:51 PM
Hmm well first you get a photo bucket account (its free) then you upload it to that site. Then you click on copy image and select (insert picture) to your post.

I know it doesnt sound easy. Just play around with it and before you know it, you will have figured it out. Think of it as hunting a new territory. Just need to poke around a few times and it will come together.

Nice buck by the way..........

Gerry
10-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Hey congratulations. That was a terrific story and an even better buck. Well done:-D

rocksteady
10-29-2008, 08:02 PM
There we go...Bigger picture....Nicer buck than I first thought in the postage stamp sized picture...

Congrats again...looks like he is starting to rut up a bit

Chasinracks
10-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Hmm well first you get a photo bucket account (its free) then you upload it to that site. Then you click on copy image and select (insert picture) to your post.

I know it doesnt sound easy. Just play around with it and before you know it, you will have figured it out. Think of it as hunting a new territory. Just need to poke around a few times and it will come together.

Nice buck by the way..........

Much appreciated, THANKS!!!