PDA

View Full Version : Time well spent

whitespringer
10-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Friday October 3rd. Big D, my dad and I left Langley at 5:30am on our way to Grand Forks. Hopes were high as D and his friend Dan from the forks were familiar with the area. We picked up Dan, his trailer and quads and hit the bush. Set up camp in time for a short evening hunt. Lots of sign, no animals. Next morning at the crack of dark, jumped on the quads and headed for a promising area with nice open cuts to glass. Lots of bear sign, no animals. Chated with a couple who were helping a friend who shot and lost a six point elk.:cry: Headed out that evening to the same area. 20 minutes later we hear a shot. This was the result.
(cant download the pic) D got a nice 4 by 3 mulie.
He ran down a steep bank and lodged himself at the base of a tree. That was a real grunt to get him out to the quad. Sunday we did some high alpine hunting with lots of hiking. Saw three does that ran out of the bush into the slash we were glassing. They kept looking back in the direction they came. We expected to see big daddy follow them out but it never happened.:| Monday morning we had agreed to call it a trip at 10:00am. So at 10:00 I walked out of the last slash hanging my head. Another trip of good memories but no meat in the freezer. I get back to the quad and get a buzz on the walky talky " theres a big buck over here!" I get directions and roar off in a cloud of dust. Upon arriving I see that serious time and effort will be required to take a shot at this guy, even if he still there when we get there. He was a whitey on top of a distant hill. We agreed to take a two pronged approach, I would head up the left ridge and Big D the right. D was good enough to let me take the short route. Thanks again. With the wind at my back and blowing off the left I started out, taking a wide bearth of the hill. 20 minutes of hiking found me on a ridge with an opportunity to glass the top. Two mulie does ran of the top, thought I might see a buck behind, never happened. I carefully worked my way to the top. No sign of him.:mad: I figured he winded me and was long gone. I put the safety back on and proceeded to check the rest of 1/4 acre table top. I notice movement off the left. And there he was! 40 feet away!:shock: I raised my rifle, clicked the safety off, he looked right at me and I let him have it. 16471644
Effort spend pursuing something worthwhile is never a waste of time. I would like to thank my Dad, Dan and Big D for their help with our great hunt.

Jelvis
10-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Real nice buck---way to go big hunter---Jel-springs

The Dawg
10-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Beauty buck...congrats!

rocksteady
10-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Congrats....Purty buck....looks like a young fella with good genetics...

winbuckhunter
10-29-2008, 12:49 AM
looks like a whitetail to me!! size, colour, antlers, ears and you can see the inside of the white tail behind his leg.. if it were me id be tagging that deer as a whitetail!!

winbuckhunter
10-29-2008, 12:51 AM
sorry my bad.. read it again and noticed you said whitey!!

good buck.. BANG

hunter1947
10-29-2008, 03:18 AM
Very nice WT you and your dad got.
Its nice that dad and son can go on a hunting trip together and have a great trip s you two did ,congrats on a fine WT deer.