PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks no luck

Wild one
10-28-2008, 08:56 PM
I got home sat night from hunting 7-7 and region 3 and skunked it is.

day 1-9 were in 7-7 for my bull moose draw and all we saw was 3 Wt does ,1 big black (too early in the hunt so he got to walk away)and No moose. This is the worst trip my family has had to 7-7 in 30 years (first draw to go unfilled in that time). After 9 days of trying to hide from other hunters and seeing very little game we packed up and headed to region 3 to try for a deer.

day 9-14 we saw 2 nice bucks , 46 does and 1 cougar . First afternoon we saw more game than 9 days in 7-7 and a nice buck(seen the buck when I was trying to shoot chukar's and a shot gun with 7 1/2 shot don't cut it). The other buck we seen it was too dark to take a shot. It was nice and peaceful in region 3 and I got too do some good hikes so I did not mind leaving with my deer tag still in my pocket.

I don't think I will hunt 7-7 any more as I don't care for lots of people the second part of the hunt in region 3 was more my style and made my time away worth it.

Caveman
10-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Where in 7-07 were you? My dad and cousins just came back from there and saw more moose than in any other year of being up there. They didn't have a draw but came back with a calf.

Wild one
10-28-2008, 09:33 PM
We hunted from the willow - the bowron river and from Ispa lake -eagle road. I am shocked they seen so much as we met a lot of hunters who left the area seeing less than us but some times that is the way it goes.I would have stuck it out but I do not enjoy my self when hunting with the numbers of hunters I seen out there.

spock
10-28-2008, 09:58 PM
It's nice to hear I'm not the only one who had a crappy hunt in 7-07 this year we went up on September 26 and stayed until October 4. Had a group hunt for Bulls, got hot, really hot, lots of bugs, one partner rolled a quad, a wind storm came through and destroyed camp, we saw 2 whitetail does about 6 black bears and a wolf and not one moose, although we didn't see a ton of other hunters. First trip up to that area and I don't think I'll be going back either.

jml11
10-28-2008, 10:11 PM
I was talking to one of the PG CO's the other night who said that this has been the one of the busiest seasons he has seen (hunter wise) and at the same time the quietest season (success wise) he has ever seen. It wasn't just you. I know quite a few hunters in the PG area and so far only two of us have been successful with moose. I know a lot of people with unfilled moose LEH tags this year who didn't see much game. Definitely and off year for most. I was pretty surprised to run into 3 bulls in one morning this year just on the 7-9 side of the Willow River, was able to get one of two 2 pointers.

For you out of towners, the large number of hunters is common throughout all the M-Us around PG. Especially areas within an hour of town (we have a lot of resident hunters here). If I were you I would be putting in for the more remote M-Us, you will see a lot less hunters (low numbers of locals travel more than hour away from town) and probably more moose. I ever leave PG I will still put in for draws here put will look to the distant M-U's. I shake my head when I go for a hunt 30 minutes from my house and run into camps everywhere, just doesn't make sense to me. You drive 7,8, 9 hours to camp that close to town?? Why not drive the extra hour or two and have a more enjoyale hunt. Plus if you get to the out of the town M-U's you will also be in M-U's that have no quad closures.

Caveman
10-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Well if they went where they usually go they would have been around the Beaver Bear rd area and along those ridges etc outwards of Aleza Lake

The Dawg
10-28-2008, 10:46 PM
I shake my head when I go for a hunt 30 minutes from my house and run into camps everywhere, just doesn't make sense to me. You drive 7,8, 9 hours to camp that close to town?? Why not drive the extra hour or two and have a more enjoyale hunt. .

AMEN to that !!!!

PGK
10-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Not so with the people I know. Moose getting absolutely slaughtered left and right. I've heard of at least eight spike forks hitting the dirt around PG this season. I filled my draw and I have seen a ton of moose going through town. Too bad you didn't have any luck

hunter1947
10-29-2008, 03:40 AM
You didn't get nothing wild one but just being out there and being able to hunt is as good as getting something ,I have come home many of times with nothing.

I will tell you this ,I do come home with lots of pic of other things as for the hunt memories ,next time my friend ,next timehttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

jml11
10-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Well if they went where they usually go they would have been around the Beaver Bear rd area and along those ridges etc outwards of Aleza Lake

Very true and very little hunting pressure in places. I was working in the Aleza Lake Research Forest this past fall and I couldn't believe the moose sign in there!

dunbartr
10-29-2008, 10:31 PM
We hunted MU 7-18 to the NE of 7-7 from Oct 11th to the 15th and probably saw 50+ hunters and like 25 camps. It was a new area to us and we put in for a cow draw because of low adds and we hoped it was more remote... not so!!! Saw very little moose, One bull and he got shot 5mins after we spotted him b/c someone else had a bull draw. Tough area to hunt without knowing it. Some guys were in the right place at the right time though. All the guys we talked to that normally go there said it was busier than ever.

Too many LEH's in some areas??? Never though the odds of getting an immy in region 3 or 8 could be better than filling a region 7 cow tag!

Dually
10-30-2008, 06:00 AM
I agree with jml11, I grew up out chief lake road and it blew me away when you would go for a hunt 30 mins out of town and find hunters that had drove out from the lower mainland or even the Island and go 50 km's out of city limits. Even when I was a local if we had more than a weekend off we went at least a couple hours out of town to get away from the mayhem. Plan your trip away from the P.G local, Ive never lived anywhere before or after that has such a high population of local hunters.

Good on'em

Sitkaspruce
10-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Not to Hijack the thread but......

This is another thread that contridicts what so many of the folks on HuntingBC say about moose LEH and moose populations. On this thread. you are all saying, for the most part, that it was wall to wall hunters and very few moose. Could you imagine what it would be like if bulls were GOS up there!!!! I believe that some areas could be GOS for moose, but for the most part, leave the LEH as is for the 7A. Also, it was not even the busiest time of the year, wait until Calf season hits there.:shock: Crazy time to be out then:smile::shock:

Cheers

SS

Caveman
10-31-2008, 01:53 PM
Very true and very little hunting pressure in places. I was working in the Aleza Lake Research Forest this past fall and I couldn't believe the moose sign in there!

My experience up there, as in most places, nobody ventures of the beaten trails very far

hunter1947
11-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Wild one I know a group of hunters that hunt for LEH moose in 7-7 and whenever they get picked they get there bull moose.

What the old story is you have to find an area that is out of bounds with other hunters as for finding this area with moose in it thats my toughs.