PDA

View Full Version : Region 6...nasty local?

whitetailsheds
10-28-2008, 08:14 AM
Following up on boxhitch's comment in another thread, would like to know of some of these problems with locals...planning a hunt over there and now, it seems, I'll have to take something else into consideration. Anyone? Any reason I have to say, "me no scary!!".Thanks in advance. G

shantz
10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Where abouts in Region 6?

sparkymacker
10-28-2008, 08:41 AM
I had an encounter with a "local" up there in September that was decidedly unfriendly. There were some veiled threats about trucks getting burnt, etc. However the next "local" we ran into was a great guy and very helpful, so I guess you just have to hope you don't cross paths with the minority.

boxhitch
10-28-2008, 08:50 AM
My comment wasn't derived from personal experience, but have heard that hunters have had trouble, vandalism of camps and vehicles, threats or warnings, general animosity.
It would be good to hear about anyones experiences, good or bad. The trouble was probably isolated, maybe a spot to avoid ?
Reg 6 is a big area, with some great area to hunt, and is certainly underutilized compared to the pressure 7b gets.

boxhitch
10-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Or maybe its only a story.......

whitetailsheds
10-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Haven't been that way at all, but have heard these rumors and no actual incidents. Known people that have gone that way and no bad reports.

bighornbob
10-28-2008, 09:17 AM
I remember reading a story in BC outdoors about a gut taking a trip up there and mentioning he had problems with the local people. Maybe this is where all the stories come from.

BHB

boxhitch
10-28-2008, 09:49 AM
I had an encounter with a "local" up there in September that was decidedly unfriendly. .Can you be a little more clear about the location ?

BCrams
10-28-2008, 10:32 AM
I've heard plenty about a couple outfitters in Region 6 who have given residents a hard time in the past. In particular when it comes to sheep hunting.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2008, 11:31 AM
I've heard plenty about a couple outfitters in Region 6 who have given residents a hard time in the past. In particular when it comes to sheep hunting.

What's HER name??:D

SSS

BCrams
10-28-2008, 11:46 AM
What's HER name??:D

SSS

She's quite well known and there are not too many hunters who have not heard of her.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/article/Hunting/A-League-of-Their-Own/5

(btw - thats not her in the photo)

Another outfit is:

http://www.bradfordadventures.com/history.aspx

I think the bottom line is treating the outfitter with respect and hopefully they return the same favour while recognizing you have as much right to hunt the area as they do.

Should you run into problems with any particular outfitter in question when on a hunt. Don't create a confrontation. Just pull out the Sat phone on the spot and report it to either the conservation office in Dease Lake or Smithers and explain whats happening.

boxhitch
10-28-2008, 12:32 PM
This from another site-

Are you talking about Dease Lake and north. There are some hostile people up there but I haven't heard about any problems lately. I have had personal friends threatened in McDame saying to get the **** out and they were right in their face. My buddies stayed and there wasn't any problems but a couple of guys were always hunting near camp while the other two hunted the river. There have been vehicles smashed up there in the past. Campers and trucks, tires slashed.

Also one road south of Dease that some of the locals use my other buddy from kitimat had a run in with. He pretty much told the guy to get the **** out of the way before he got crushed.

I hunt up there every year, I hate to say it but I wouldn't want to leave my pickup at known locations if I was going to leave it for a long period of time.

todbartell
10-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Burns Lake - lotsa weirdos! :)

elkdom
10-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Burns Lake - lotsa weirdos! :)

wierd stuff like "UN - HEADED CATS", gettin TOO close to HALLOWEEN!!!
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2008, 12:43 PM
She's quite well known and there are not too many hunters who have not heard of her.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/article/Hunting/A-League-of-Their-Own/5

(btw - thats not her in the photo)

Another outfit is:

http://www.bradfordadventures.com/history.aspx

I think the bottom line is treating the outfitter with respect and hopefully they return the same favour while recognizing you have as much right to hunt the area as they do.

Should you run into problems with any particular outfitter in question when on a hunt. Don't create a confrontation. Just pull out the Sat phone on the spot and report it to either the conservation office in Dease Lake or Smithers and explain whats happening.

Anyone heard if the daughter and hubby are carrying on the tradition of harassment since her father retired from the business??

SSS

BCrams
10-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Anyone heard if the daughter and hubby are carrying on the tradition of harassment since her father retired from the business??

SSS

Who knows. They unloaded one or two of their cubs ... so perhaps not.

Maybe have to take a trip in there and find out.

bigwhiteys
10-28-2008, 01:39 PM

Although it's certainly not required, a simple phone call or an email to the outfitter in the area stating who you are, when you'll be there and what you're hunting is a courtesy any outfitter would appreciate and respect.

It has opened doors for me.

Carl

gitnadoix
10-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Although it's certainly not required, a simple phone call or an email to the outfitter in the area stating who you are, when you'll be there and what you're hunting is a courtesy any outfitter would appreciate and respect.

Carl

Are you kidding me, ya I guess turn around would also be the only respectfull thig to do so they should post on their web sites where they are gonna be and when so we dont have to run into some one else as well. This ownership angle really ......aw never mind its all been said before....

bighornbob
10-28-2008, 03:36 PM

Carl

Might work for you as the name is recognizable. But for the most part, I have heard stories of outfitters buzzing valleys with planes to scare the sheep out of there just so the hunters dont get one.

BHB

Kody94
10-28-2008, 03:40 PM

SSS

I know the hubby a bit, although I've not spoken to him for a long time....its hard to picture him involved in harassment.....

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2008, 03:40 PM

Carl

Think that your last name had something to do with the reception you got from the GO????

I'm going to try that with Heide next year. She'll probably think I just fell off the turnip truck or something:roll:.

While that approach may work with some GO's, the two mentioned???:???:........ Not such a warm reception. Guarenteed:neutral:....at least when Miles was running the show.

SSS

BCrams
10-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Might work for you as the name is recognizable. But for the most part, I have heard stories of outfitters buzzing valleys with planes to scare the sheep out of there just so the hunters dont get one.

BHB

It happened to me. Dale Drinkal of Folded Mountain / Terminus Mountain Outfitters did exactly that.

1st he buzzed right over my head from behind as I glassed 7 rams in a big basin / drainage. He proceeded to circle and spook the rams out of there and even as I stood up, he flew in a straight light right towards me 'mocking me likely' and then banked right back into the drainage ...... I wished I had a video camera to record that incident.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2008, 04:04 PM
It happened to me. Dale Drinkal of Folded Mountain / Terminus Mountain Outfitters did exactly that.

1st he buzzed right over my head from behind as I glassed 7 rams in a big basin / drainage. He proceeded to circle and spook the rams out of there and even as I stood up, he flew in a straight light right towards me 'mocking me likely' and then banked right back into the drainage ...... I wished I had a video camera to record that incident.

Video cameras and sat phones are essential tools for defensive measure in the mtns. I'm sure they've helped a bit.

4ster.......those two running the show now just look too nice ......at least from their pics:???:.

SSS

Kody94
10-28-2008, 04:21 PM

It certainly happens. A fella I know pretty well was "assaulted" by Gary Moore at the base camp on the Kechika (which is now one of Dale Drinkall's camps). That little incident cost Gary a fair bit as I understand it (but I certainly don't know all the details).

I am quite familiar with a couple unprovoked incidents in the Kootenays as well.

It generally "takes two to tango" but the incidents I refer to were GO instigated.

I've only had one negative run in with a GO, and it wan't particularly pleasant.

I am sure the GO's get their fair share of hassles from residents. I've certainly heard of a few of those too.

Fisher-Dude
10-28-2008, 04:32 PM
I remember reading a story in BC outdoors about a gut taking a trip up there...

BHB

You got a problem with fat guys? Show a little respect for people with slower metabolisms, BHB! :mad: :-P

bigwhiteys
10-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Are you kidding me,

No I wasn't actually...

ya I guess turn around would also be the only respectfull thig to do so they should post on their web sites where they are gonna be and when so we dont have to run into some one else as well.

Do you think an outfitter with paying clients enjoys running into a group of resident hunters? They'll avoid it if they can and you'd likely do the same...

Many of the outfitters came into the business after my families time. For the most part though... Yes, you're right there is an outfitter hiding behind every mountain waiting to chase the sheep away from you. I wouldn't doubt if Urs doing a flyby at 4000' feet has been classified as harrassment by some :)

Think that your last name had something to do with the reception you got from the GO????

What do you think they great me with open arms and a party...? There is some friendly conversation and that's about it. I don't want to run into their guides/hunters and they don't want to run into me either.

I'm going to try that with Heide next year. She'll probably think I just fell off the turnip truck or something

Sure, Try it... And then I'll try it and see if we get a different reception. Copy me the email you sent her and mine will be indentical aside from my name... :roll:

While that approach may work with some GO's, the two mentioned???

If they are still an asshole after you've put your best foot forward, then so be it... Move on they are obviously an asshole!

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2008, 05:25 PM
If they are still an asshole after you've put your best foot forward, then so be it... Move on they are obviously an asshole!

Carl

Move on....as in go hunt somewhere else??

SSS

bigwhiteys
10-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Move on....as in go hunt somewhere else??

No I mean forget about the encounter and move on with your life.

boxhitch
10-28-2008, 05:56 PM
GOABC has a code of ethics for its member G/O's to follow, and occasionally G/O's are dropped from their membership, for various reasons. That can't look to good to a client searching for a hunt.
Maybe a case could be built, with hard facts.

boxhitch
10-28-2008, 05:57 PM
No I mean forget about the encounter and move on with your life
Tough to do with a vandalized camp or truck.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2008, 06:07 PM

Or with a boat full of holes.

SSS

Gateholio
10-28-2008, 06:12 PM
..Or with an airstrip that has been covered with debris, preventing landing....

bigwhiteys
10-28-2008, 06:50 PM

You're talking about a different scenario now... But all of you are right. There is an outfitter or one of his henchmen hiding behind every tree waiting to mess with your truck, your boat, your plane... They'll even sneak into camp and steal your boots while you're asleep...

Carl

born2hunt
10-28-2008, 07:36 PM
all i can say is that -- you,d have to be a very brave OR a very stupid man to take the chance of me coming around the corner and someone trashing or thieving from my camp.

Gateholio
10-28-2008, 10:27 PM
You're talking about a different scenario now... But all of you are right. There is an outfitter or one of his henchmen hiding behind every tree waiting to mess with your truck, your boat, your plane... They'll even sneak into camp and steal your boots while you're asleep...

Carl

Problems with outfitters happen. Problems with other residents happen.

We can be sarcastic (and sarcasm is allowed on HBC:tongue:)

Or we can discuss the problem and hopefully give a heads up to try and avoid the problems...:wink:

Johnnybear
10-28-2008, 11:37 PM

Carl

LMAO:lol:. I don't have a clue as I am not in a position to ever hire an GOF.

Could some of you explain for us folks that hunt on our own and our own expense when a GOF says their area is "X" amount of sqare kms. What are there rights to that area? and what are the residents rights to that area?

boxhitch
10-28-2008, 11:50 PM
You're talking about a different scenario now...
No, this is exactly what this post is about.

There is an outfitter or one of his henchmen hiding behind every tree waiting to mess with your truck, your boat, your plane... They'll even sneak into camp and steal your boots while you're asleep...

You are the first to suggest this. And it doesn't sound very sensible (trying to be polite here)

Stone Sheep Steve
10-29-2008, 04:59 AM
One of my Dad's boots went missing one night. First thing that came to mind was a G/O ...but then I realized there was no G/O in the area:p.

We looked around looking for clues and then realized it was another "local nasty".....Ursus americana:-).

So boyz...watch your backs AND your boots!

SSS

Ltbullken
10-29-2008, 05:12 AM
Let's face it, the farther north and the deeper into the bush you go, the more likely you are going to meet fringelanders, 60's draft dodgers, grow operators, and greedy GO's who want nothing to do with the rest of humanity and will do whatever it takes to keep that distance. Not that they are all like that but the chance of meeting one goes up!

hunter1947
10-29-2008, 05:39 AM
You get all kinds od ID in the bush at times ,I just advoid these ID and hunt where they won't go.
The further I put leather from where I leave my truck the better.

GoatGuy
10-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Following up on boxhitch's comment in another thread, would like to know of some of these problems with locals...planning a hunt over there and now, it seems, I'll have to take something else into consideration. Anyone? Any reason I have to say, "me no scary!!".Thanks in advance. G

About Willow Creek north to the BC-Yukon Border. So long as there's other people around you'll be fine. Things can be a little haywire off the highway there if something's left unattended.

Most of the g/os are good on that side - least you don't need to be worried about your gear. Couple g/o areas that are kinda nasty. Out of sight, out of mind. Camp off the trails, stay out of sight and make sure anything you leave at the lake is stashed so that nobody can find it. Carry a sat phone and a video camera.

sparkymacker
10-31-2008, 09:27 AM
Can you be a little more clear about the location ?

South of Dease Lake

Dirty
10-31-2008, 09:37 AM
If a GO is giving you a hard time and their client is with them, march right past them to their client. Tell their client, " You are paying thousands of dollars for this hunt and the GO is taking you where any joe can come and shoot a sheep, you are getting ripped off". The guide outfitter will get the point, plus it will make the client edgy. Another tactic is taking a picture or video and telling the GO that you are going to report them as soon as you get out.

BCrams
10-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Another tactic is taking a picture or video and telling the GO that you are going to report them as soon as you get out.'

Video is better.

I recently had a conversation with a CO, and he said with pictures, its one persons word against another whereas a video from camera or video camera can record the conversation / actions. Saves a lot of headaches when the CO pursues charges against an outfitter (or another person, hunter etc.)

boxhitch
10-31-2008, 11:27 AM
march right past them to their client. Tell their client, You are paying thousands of dollars for this hunt and the GO is taking you where any joe can come and shoot a sheep, you are getting ripped off". The guide outfitter will get the point, plus it will make the client edgy. ??Really......
That would be kinda pointless, not exactly strong tactics either.

Another tactic is taking a picture or video and telling the GO that you are going to report them as soon as you get out.
may get a reaction

elkdom
10-31-2008, 11:59 AM
This kind of crapp happens all over the province, this September a couple of friends came north for elk hunt, one of them a member on HuntingBC , not being familiar with the area, I set them up on a couple of "elk" licks on CROWN land , miles from any private land, who shows up but some local terd who proceeds to get very abusive, verbally, he even tried to block road with his truck, he said all persons not living in 7B should not hunt here, he tried to tell my friends he 'OWNED" the land they were hunting on, for the next few days he continued to harrass us, he has been reported to CO and I filed a formal complaint, he will get a visit from the CO, my friends did get a cow elk and a timberwolf, but that 'terd' did his best to ruin thier 6 day hunt, now we know what an 'a$$ hole' he is and so do many of my fiends, his name, where he lives,the discription of his truck and license number, so any more crapp on his part will result in more charges !! and if I find him stuck in a mud hole 30 klms from home, just guess where he will be staying!, it wont be my F---ING winch pullin him out!!

bigwhiteys
10-31-2008, 12:48 PM
If a GO is giving you a hard time and their client is with them, march right past them to their client. Tell their client, " You are paying thousands of dollars for this hunt and the GO is taking you where any joe can come and shoot a sheep, you are getting ripped off".

That's taking a step in the right direction for a nasty confrontation... Video as already stated would be your best bet.

Carl

GoatGuy
10-31-2008, 01:40 PM
If a GO is giving you a hard time and their client is with them, march right past them to their client. Tell their client, " You are paying thousands of dollars for this hunt and the GO is taking you where any joe can come and shoot a sheep, you are getting ripped off". The guide outfitter will get the point, plus it will make the client edgy. Another tactic is taking a picture or video and telling the GO that you are going to report them as soon as you get out.

Not a terribly good idea.

Wouldn't recommend it unless you're bigger and meaner. There have been 3 incidents in the last year involving physical altercations. Not my cup of tea considering what everybody's carrying in their hands. After flying in, riding 15 hrs on horseback I don't think the client cares what you have to say as long as he/she gets their sheep. This doesn't happen very often and you'll know before you head into an area if you might run into a problem. 99% of the time you're fine. No different than anything else, there's a couple of bad apples in every group.