PDA

View Full Version : Packs

Alpine Addict
10-27-2008, 08:39 PM
I know this topic has been convered many times, I apologize!

Im gettin rid of my old pack frame as its uncomfortable for long hikes. I want something that is good for 5-7 days and also packing out meat. I have heard good things about eberlestock j107. I have been lookin around the kifaru website. nice packs but expensive! Any insight from you backpackers/high country hunters would be appreciated! Any pics as well?

bighornbob
10-28-2008, 08:37 AM
I know this topic has been convered many times, I apologize!

Im gettin rid of my old pack frame as its uncomfortable for long hikes. I want something that is good for 5-7 days and also packing out meat. I have heard good things about eberlestock j107. I have been lookin around the kifaru website. nice packs but expensive! Any insight from you backpackers/high country hunters would be appreciated! Any pics as well?

I have the J107 and love it. There have been many threads on the Eberlestock packs. Just type "Eberlestock" in the search box and you will get a ton of opinion and lots of pics.

BHB

Kirby
10-28-2008, 09:00 AM
I looked at bighornbobs last year and ended up getting myself one this year. very happy with it.

Kirby

rishu_pepper
10-28-2008, 09:28 AM
I think almost everyone who's bought and used an Eberlestock has been happy with their purchase; I am one as well. You won't be disappointed.

newhunterette
10-28-2008, 09:36 AM
I got Peter into a Wilderness wanderer a few years ago and he won't go for anything else now - he has added onto it through the years and he likes that he can change it in anyway to meet his needs on whatever kind of trip he is on.

this is conditioning for a trip - he walks with his pack loaded adding to it each time
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/miscellaneous/DSC_0018.jpg

this is it all ready to go sheep hunting (no comments about my furniture :tongue: - Elkhound)
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/DSC_0037.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/DSC_0038.jpg

huntcoop
10-28-2008, 11:41 AM
That couch...............is..........is.........stunnin g.......

spreerider
10-28-2008, 12:04 PM
hehe i used to own that same model couch... another roommate actually found a matching chair to go with it.

newhunterette
10-28-2008, 12:17 PM
That couch...............is..........is.........stunnin g.......

hehe i used to own that same model couch... another roommate actually found a matching chair to go with it.

did I not say no comments on my furniture as it is a thread on PACKS

hehehehe I know my furniture is hilarious but I have plans for it - my parents bought it when I was 14 at HARRY HAMMER'S WAREHOUSE in Vancouver lol and it has had many recovering phases - just mine hasn't happend yet - all things take time y'all

now back to the PACKS

so did y'all notice the nice form of the Wilderness Wanderer :)

Rubicon500
10-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Go with a j107 or get a Barneys, Both AWESOME packs. I use the barneys for the 10 day + hunts and the 107 for the 1-5 day trips. My 107 packed out my hole 5x5 white tail in 1 trip this year no problems at all and was super comfy. IMO I would NOT buy a Wilderness Waunder , I know of quite a few people with them and they have problems with them falling apart every TRIP. Sure they will fix it for free but who wants to send it to kamloops after every hunt ?

Islandeer
10-29-2008, 07:46 PM
That Dana guy swears by the j107 ... pm him. 8)

BlacktailStalker
10-29-2008, 08:47 PM
The fleece panels on the Kifaru are crap, they absorb about 5lbs of water in the rain, other than that they're pretty good, but if you order it make sure you order the cargo chair, it doesnt come with it.
The eberlestocks are ok aside from their weight, just remember the j104 doesnt have the support of the j107.

waistdeep
11-11-2008, 06:01 PM
the j107 is a great pack - but - i really miss all the small pockets. It has just a few and when there is odds and ends that I carry, I like a pack that has pockets. Thats my opinion. I have one for sale, used once, clean, like new. $300.00 US and its yours

tikka
11-12-2008, 02:16 PM
i have a badlands 4500 and i think it is wasome. i used it for a 3 day hunt and it had plenty of rome for a couple more days. not cheep though but worth the money