PDA

View Full Version : Sleeing bag loft?

bruin
10-27-2008, 03:30 PM
I've got a down sleeping bag that has had some pretty heavy use over the last two years and has lost alot of the loft that it previously had (loft is how much the down bag expands once its taken out of the compression sack). I am wondering if a simple dry cleaning will bring it back or if there is something else I should do with it or if its just plain worn out? Thanks in advance.

ElectricDyck
10-27-2008, 03:41 PM
http://mcnett.baron-co.com/page.cfm?pageID=3557

JeffR
10-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I have heard that dry cleaning isn't the best way to go for down bags. It can leave a residue on the down that can reduce loft. Clean them in a bath tub or front loading washing machine. Use a soap specifically for down bags (MEC sells some I think) and make sure you rinse them really well. Dry on low.

Also, don't store it long term in the stuff sack. Get a larger storage bag, or I just fold it over a couple of times and lay it on a shelf.

boxhitch
10-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Good points there, J. Dry cleaning chemicals kill down. Dry on low, with a running shoe or similar in with the bag. All bags should be stored 'relaxed'. I lay mine out under the bed.

Then its handy when I have to head to the doghouse.

boxhitch
10-27-2008, 09:04 PM
It pays to lok after a down bag or garment properly, what with the cost of living going so high................

even the price of down is up.

rishu_pepper
10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
It pays to lok after a down bag or garment properly, what with the cost of living going so high................

I award you with the lamest joke of the day... ;)

10-27-2008, 10:25 PM

No pun intended I'm sure...

hitch
10-28-2008, 07:03 AM
MEC down wash, home washing machine, dry-low heat.

Tube of tennis balls in the dryer with down bag will bring back loft. Like new again!

I try and only have my bag compressed during trips. Even a garbage bag will work at home.

bruin
10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll give it a shot.