PDA

View Full Version : deer movement and temperature change

twoSevenO
10-27-2008, 12:39 PM
How are deer affected by sudden temperature changes. More specifically, coastal blacktail deer. if the temperature suddenly drops, say, 7-8 degrees, will they tend to move around more, or hunker down even more?

Also, what if the temps goes up? Any changes in general behavior?

sneg
10-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I think temperature drop by 7-8 deg would not make big difference.Unless it is pre-storm or after storm conditions. temperature drop in conjuction with rain will make them to move around.

blindguy
10-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Pre storm or during the dirtiest wet and windy weather is best for blacktail.just my 2cents

TIKA 300
10-27-2008, 06:59 PM
i disagree 100%...........

THERE are no such things as blacktail deer !!!!!! :smile: @ least that ive seen in hunting season.(at least where i can shoot them)

The rain thing makes sense,cuz we kept seeing 4 bucks last fall in Mission during the ugly weather.

bsa30-06
10-27-2008, 07:19 PM
i disagree 100%...........

THERE are no such things as blacktail deer !!!!!! :smile: @ least that ive seen in hunting season.(at least where i can shoot them)

The rain thing makes sense,cuz we kept seeing 4 bucks last fall in Mission during the ugly weather.

I agree.Blacktail Bucks=Mythical Creatures

boxhitch
10-27-2008, 08:33 PM
A 7-8 deg. change is nothing more than the difference between shade vs sun or north vs south slopes. Just another day in the life .

But if you watch cartoons, Elmer will put down his ear muffs and Bugs will put on a scarf.

Gateholio
10-27-2008, 09:06 PM
The last 2 days have been gorgeous....And I saw 0 black tails or black bears!!
:roll:

Not even a doe! All of these ares usually have deer in them.:o

I suck!8)

NaStY
10-27-2008, 09:08 PM
The last 2 days have been gorgeous....And I saw 0 black tails or black bears!!
:roll:

Not even a doe! All of these ares usually have deer in them.:o

I suck!8)

You sure there were deer there and not just dogs eating your energy bars?

Ron.C
10-27-2008, 09:13 PM
I think it's the sudden change in barometric pressure that gets the animals moving "so to speak" In my opinion, its' like how fishing can pick up before or just after a storm front, the same thing happens with wildlife. Alot of times, sudden temperature changes go hand in hand with barometric changes as do sudden winds, rain and so on. Just a theory thats been out there for a long time that I happen to agree with.

quadrakid
10-27-2008, 10:19 PM
i don,t pay much attention to temp changes,it,s all about the wind and rain. one is good,both makes for great blacktail hunting.

Tikka7mm
10-27-2008, 10:57 PM
I think it's the sudden change in barometric pressure that gets the animals moving "so to speak" In my opinion, its' like how fishing can pick up before or just after a storm front, the same thing happens with wildlife. Alot of times, sudden temperature changes go hand in hand with barometric changes as do sudden winds, rain and so on. Just a theory thats been out there for a long time that I happen to agree with.

x2 on that Ron.....

twoSevenO
10-28-2008, 09:50 AM
cool ... thanks guys :)

308Lover
10-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Hunting in zone 5 the temp dropped 10 degrees and a few flakes were in the air (snow). Saw 18 deer --(mostly does) in a short drive. Deer were everywhere. Snowed next day--they KNEW! Warmed up 2 days later. Deer all but vanished from view. Any serious weather change gets them moving IMHO.

doubled
10-28-2008, 12:31 PM
X3 with the barometric pressure. Every good whitetail camp has a barometer hanging somewhere, look for it on the next show you watch. When the barometer is moving, so are the animals.

hunter1947
10-29-2008, 05:56 AM
I found out this week when I was up in the bush hunting for island deer that nothing was moving around.
I hunted hard working the old growth timbers latter in the morning and hunt the open slash at first light.

I was up at 4500 feet hunting as for 2500 feet no deer moving around at ether elevation.
The temp was -5 on sat morning at the 4,500 mark and got up to about +6 the day time hi.
At the lower elevation the temp got to +10 and clear Skye's.
What I think was needed was ether snow or rain to get them moving around ,I won't be back up there till there is snow on the ground.

humble hunter
10-29-2008, 08:53 AM
All of the usual haunts for blacktails around my place in Squamish have been empty so far. I have not even seen a blacktail for the last month but the rut is coming up quick. I agree the best time for blacktails is cold rainy weather.