PDA

View Full Version : New girl on the block...

CAMO GIRL
09-14-2005, 12:53 PM
Hello guys and girls! Yes, I am the new girl on the block. I've visited this site a few times and it seems really great so I thought I'd join in on the fun!
So, this is my first full year hunting. I had an opportunity to go out a couple of times at the end of last season, but came home empty handed. I have much higher hopes for this year though!
I was lucky enough to get in on the "first year" doe tag for white tail deer and also through blind luck in the LEH draw I got in on a group hunt for calf/cow Moose.
I understand that it's unusual to get the draw, let alone two...so I'm gonna make 'em count!
My first trip out will be this weekend, I hope to have great stories and pictures of my first kill to report back with on Monday.
Wish me luck and happy hunting to all of you!;-)

todbartell
09-14-2005, 01:14 PM
good luck and welcome to the site :mrgreen:

mainland hunter
09-14-2005, 01:32 PM
good luck, have fun

rollingrock
09-14-2005, 01:36 PM
:grin: Hey Camo Girl, you didn't move to BC, did ya? Yes this is really a great site, and I've been browsing it for a while. But I didn't register myself until a couple of days ago. If you can't get anything big, you can bring some birds back home so that you don't have to come home empty-handed. It's hard to come back home with nothing.:wink:

Good luck!

CAMO GIRL
09-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Nope...didn't just move here. Been here all my life. I only started shooting two years ago and hunting end of last year. :oops: Shamefully, I didn't even come home with a bird last year, so I guess you're right...for sure I won't be empty handed this year!:)

Gateholio
09-14-2005, 02:06 PM
There is a Camo Girl over at CGN, that's why he qasked! She lives in ONtario!:mrgreen:

Welcome to the site, lots of knowledgable folks here. We even have a coupleof females!:smile:

rollingrock
09-14-2005, 02:07 PM
:oops: :oops: So you're not the one from CGN (http://www.canadiangunnutz.com)?:redface:

270WIN
09-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Welcome to the site nice to see woman taking an intrest in the sport. you started shooting 2 years ago and just took up the hunting what made you get intrested ?

Thunderstix
09-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Welcome to HBC!

Foxer
09-14-2005, 03:54 PM
and also through blind luck in the LEH draw I got in on a group hunt for calf/cow Moose.

OOO - that's a real sweet food hunt. You're going during the open calf season? If you drop a cow the calf will be back in the same area soon enough and you'll get 'em too, and vice versa as well. Fantastic eating meat.

Amphibious
09-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Welcome Aboard

CAMO GIRL
09-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Nope...I'm a different girl, not the one from ON...but if you talk to her, let her know: GREAT NICKNAME!!!! Anyhow, I got interrested because well...I love the meat and figured since I enjoy the outdoors & the shooting anyways...i might as well put it to some use that I'm a girl with a gun! (We can be very perceptive you know!) So, I went out as I mentionned...last year and for some reason I could see all of these deer that the guys couldn't. For some reason...they don't mind me tagging along. I really can't wait to see something that's legal to shoot! Then I'll be able to find out if all the adrenaline puts my shot way off or not. I'm so excited...I just can't wait. Only 3 more sleeps!:tongue:

bsa30-06
09-14-2005, 05:28 PM
welcome to the site, good luck on the weekend take, lots of pics.

Bow Walker
09-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Welcome Camo Girl. Fresh ideas and people are always welcome.

I had (a few years ago) the same LEH tag - cow/calf moose when I was up in Prince Geo. living and working. Got lucky enough to bag a good sized calf. Best eating moose that I have ever had!:mrgreen:

Hope you get to fill those tags. Good luck and bring back some pics.

dizzydan
09-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Welcome to HBC. DAN>>>

Marc
09-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Hey Camo girl welcome aboard. Nice to have another woman who enjoys hunting and the outdoors. Don't be shy and ask as many questions as you 'd like. I know you've got someone else coaching you along so you should be in good hands.

Good luck with your hunt and make sure you've got a camera. This could possibly be your first big game animal. You want to make sure you've got lots of pics for memories, and braggin rights of course.:mrgreen:

Marc.

Freshtracks
09-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Welcome aboard Camo Girl ... yes those are a couple of nice LEH tags. The doe should be np. My oldest got one a few years back and we seen lots before he got his. We'll be up in 8 this weekend. Best Luck.

Fred
09-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Welcome from mee too. Since I probably wot't be here on the 30th, let me be the first to wish you a Happy Birthday and also the best of luck on your upcoming hunt. Fred

goathead
09-14-2005, 08:45 PM
welcome aboard and keep on hunting.

colt52
09-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Welcometo the sight, to shooting and to hunting. It's all good!! BTW, what do you shoot gun cal. make ?

Kirby
09-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Welcome to the sight, and good luck on the draws. Lots of knowledge on the site. Can't wait to see pics of you with your moose.

Kirby

CAMO GIRL
09-15-2005, 11:03 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the welcomes...(and the B-Day wishes, Fred) As for pictures...don't worry I'll be over-documenting each step of the trip I'm sure!

Freshtracks...Maybe we'll bump into each other this weekend, I'll be in 8 too!

Colt 52: My first gun was a Winchester Model 94 (30-30), and I love it...however I did fall in love with a Ruger last year taht I saw in a gun store in Princeton...It's a M77 MarkII Compact (Black Laminate stock and stainless barrel), and as luck would have it, I just happened to get it about three weeks ago. I had it out at the range last weekend, and it's like it was built for me. I love it!

Best of luck to all those who will be out this weekend...can't wait to report back and compare pics and stories with you all!

sniperontheridge
09-15-2005, 12:37 PM
welcome to the site.what caliber of rifle you have,?

CAMO GIRL
09-15-2005, 02:50 PM
One 30-30 and the other is .223, but I heard that I can change the barrel. I am interrested in trying the 223WSM, but I'm not sure if it is possible...I was doing some reading up on it and the numbers are quite impressive compared to the regular 223

palmer
09-15-2005, 09:22 PM
Camo..if you are heading to region 8..give LT a shout hes in Richmond and he knows 8 very well and has some great bucks from there, if you get right to the eastern edge look me up also...good luck and welcome..

Palmer

CAMO GIRL
09-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Palmer, won't be there this weekend, but I'm sure we will be soon. We were in Grand Forks last year and liked the area a lot. We'll be back!

BCrams
09-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Welcome welcome welcome welcome

Elkhound
09-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Welcome. Good luck on the up and coming hunt

Steeleco
09-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Welcome, nice to see the ladies getting out there, Have you thought about something that can reach across an open field in 30 cal?? 30-30 is nice but may not reach that far??

CAMO GIRL
09-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Well...I got the 30-30 as a suggestion from a friend. I like the gun so far, but have never had an opportunity to use it in a hunting situation to date. What would you suggest? Also what do you think of the short-mag / super short mag? I've heard good things from a few people in a local gun store, and also read some good things in magazines. Do you have any experience with these?

Marc
09-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Well it all depends on how big of a girl you are and how much recoil you can handle and still stay on target. The 30-30 is a great brush rifle for deer for ranges out to 100 yards, then the bullet loses a bit to much energy for my liking.

It realy depends on what you plan on hunting which would determine what calibre rifle. A lot of women use a calibre in .308, 7mm-08, and if it's stricktly deer size animals your after the 260 rem and 243win are also popular cartridges. The best thing to do is go to the range with people you hunt and see if they'll let you try some of their rifles in different calibres to see what fits you and what you can shoot acurately. No use in having a magnum if you can't hit the target because your flintching every time you pull the trigger.

The short mags are nice in the sence they are shorter rifles, less heavy, but the recoil is still going to be there.

Marc.

Steeleco
09-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Marc is right on the money, but I should think a 7-08 , 7x57 or a 7mm mauser. I should look at the 308 also. there are lots of far reaching soft hitting guns but if you don't reload you may want to stick to a calibre that you can get off the shelf quality bullets.

rock
09-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Welcome , goodluck in all your hunting adventures.