PDA

View Full Version : Foggy start

dave
10-26-2008, 06:36 PM
The Pitt was really foggy this morning. We could barely see the closest decoys, let alone shoot anything. There was shooting all around us so somebody must have been able to see. It goes to figure we would be in the foggiest spot. The sun broke through around 9:30 and we started to get some birds decoying in. We had a big flight of about 30 birds drop right in, which was very cool. The best moment in the day was when a pair of drake mallards came in low from across the marsh and my boys each dropped one. I got to just stand back and watch:-).

Diesel made some great retrieves but the best must have been over 200 yards of swimming and onto one of the small islands. I think he deserves a little extra in the food dish tonight.

longshot
10-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Sounds like a fun hunt. Haven't see a flock of 30 yet here on the island, except in teals. Must have been a nice sight. Foggy Morning hunts for me are pretty neat, except for the part where when you are driving over the malahat here on the island and can't see the road!

Longshot

Dano
10-26-2008, 07:09 PM
There was a lot of shooting around us this morning too Dave. 'Ol Dan and I were the 4th boat out of the launch today, most groups out yet but seems everyone was spread out and it sounded like everyone got some shooting in too.
We tried for greenheads today, I lasted 4 birds and ended up with 3 hens..., and Dan lasted 6 with one hen in his bag. Yesterday we saw lots of greenheads, one flock of about 8 were all drakes!
Here's a few pics I took while we waited to see if any geese were about (the geese came by as we motored away from the blind...).
The second pic is just as the flock got to our decoys and they swung right over about 30yds away.
Dan

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/IMG_1724.jpg

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/IMG_1726.jpg

PGK
10-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Great pics Dano!

longshot
10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
those are awesome pics dano! very nice