PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated!!!!!!

Doe Eyes
10-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Well, I have a LEH draw for a White Tail Doe in 8-12.
Went up a couple of weeks ago for 4 days and didnt see anything until we were leaving, then saw 2 on the road.
Camped at Arlington Lake in a beautiful spot. Hiked everywhere...saw very little sign...except for a ton of coyote sign.
Drove over to the Trapping Creek area and again saw nothing. The entire 4 days we heard only about 4 gunshots in total.
Went up for the day yesterday and saw 26 Mulie does! Then when I finally saw a beautiful WT doe, she had a little fawn with her...no shot there...but at least came home with 3 grouse!
Maybe hit the area one more time before the tag expires...

In4TheHunt
10-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Man...Tough...I hope you get one last time out..It will be well deserved.

Good Luck

valleycowboy
10-26-2008, 12:00 PM
if you want some info,send me an Im as too when you are coming out again. i'm sure i could help out a little.

stanway
10-26-2008, 03:15 PM
That's too bad - I thought for sure you'd get one this trip. Well at least you're getting out there. Keep at it, you'll get one.

James

wsm
10-26-2008, 04:16 PM
ripperto fsr saw a bunch of whities there last year

mcrae
10-26-2008, 04:32 PM
If it makes you feel any better I had to actually hunt pretty hard in my area before I filled the LEH doe tag I had. Normally I just take one if I see one but this year I set out to actively hunt and get one and sure enough it took me 5 days and some snow before I connected on a nice fat doe...They just didn't seem to be in the same spots I have seen them in years previous...

NaStY
10-26-2008, 04:41 PM
White tails like certain kinds of terrain. If you are seeing mule deer, then you prob wont see any whites. At least not very many. I have found they like thick and steep area's. Also look for canyon type draws and still hunt till dark. It took me 2 trips to the ok to finally connect and they weren't where they should have been. Saw them mostly in lower area's.

I sure did enjoy the mini van camping and hotdogs 3 times a day......

GoatGuy
10-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Hit the Beaverdell/Carmi area. Find an FSR and start driving.

Qasim
10-26-2008, 06:31 PM
I had a LEH for a WT doe in region 8-01. I got it on my first day on someone's farm with permission obviously. All day we looked around in the jungle north of H3 but nothing there. All were close to the highway in the farms and lots of it 30 or more. I would say look close to highway 3 in region 8-12

10-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Hit the Beaverdell/Carmi area. Find an FSR and start driving.

I hit that area hard on opening day and did not see even 1 deer of any type. I went from sunrise to sunset with only about 2 hours of break. :?

I'm going back in the next week or so. Maybe the cooler weather will have them moving a bit more.

GoatGuy
10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
I hit that area hard on opening day and did not see even 1 deer of any type. I went from sunrise to sunset with only about 2 hours of break. :?

I'm going back in the next week or so. Maybe the cooler weather will have them moving a bit more.

Basically from Carmi to Conkle lake has white-tails.

You should be able to track one down.

That raspberry burns always a good bet.

Hit the bush! Good luck.

moosehunter16
10-27-2008, 07:06 PM
ive got the same draw can anyone fill me in on where to hunt or any good spots pm me

cheers

mark4
10-27-2008, 08:11 PM
That trapping creek main area does have a lot of whitetails- you must have went through on a down day or something. All along that west kettle is excellent whitetail hunting- oops did I say that out loud ??lol

Mckinney Creek Adventures
10-27-2008, 08:47 PM
You should have no problem finding a whitey doe around here with a couple of days spent travelling around enjoying our beautifull country. Dont be afraid to approach some ranchers with fields full of them, cause as far as they are concerned, the whitetail is just another pest.

MCA

Dirty
10-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Another thing we found very good was finding hills with draws above the farm fields. Get up early and come in from above. Hunker down against a tree where you can see down the draws/ have a good vantage point and watch. Just as it gets light out you will see the buggers boogying on up to the timber. Use your ears and eyes to listen and watch. Get the binoculars out and look around.

goatdancer
10-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Don't feel bad. I've been out quite a bit in that area and haven't seen a WT yet. Should improve soon I hope. The weather has been too warm and sunny. We need some nasty stuff to liven up the action.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Everyone thinks a whitey doe draw is a slam dunk.

Don't just drive around. Hunt them like you would hunt a whitey buck(as Dirty described it)

You'll see more and enjoy it more. Milk it and get the most out of it like Bartell did!!:cool:

SSS

NaStY
10-28-2008, 04:41 PM
I am not by any means a good white tail hunter but every white tail I have seen this year is moving up in the evening. I know it doesn't make sense, but that is what i observed and even shot one last week. Saw them doing the same thing 2 weekends in a row.

I just didnt feel 100% that they were white tails till I educated myself. I second guessed myself every time. Now I know exactly what the look like.

While still hunting. keep your eyes and ears on the up and down. Ya never know.......

mcrae
10-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Everyone thinks a whitey doe draw is a slam dunk.

Don't just drive around. Hunt them like you would hunt a whitey buck(as Dirty described it)

You'll see more and enjoy it more. Milk it and get the most out of it like Bartell did!!:cool:

SSS

Exactly how I approached my Whitetail Doe LEH this year. I actively hunted and harvested a nice doe. Normally a doe is hail mary at the the end of the season if I have not gotten anything for the freezer. I got out and hiked around and really learned allot but the area's whitetails. It was allot of fun even if I was the brunt of most of my buddies jokes for "actually" hunting a flattop..:biggrin:..

Doe Eyes
10-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all the good info guys.
We have hiked all over the place since we dont have a quad at the moment. I rather hike into places anyway...
I plan on heading up one more time to try my luck again.

As for deer in the fields, in two trips there...we did not see even one deer in any field!

hunter1947
10-29-2008, 04:12 AM
Wow thats hard to believe ,maybe next time you go there you will get lucky.

sawmill
10-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Next year apply for 4-20.I`ll show you 20 does a day AT LEAST.We even have a spare bedroom.