PDA

View Full Version : baiting deer in 8-12

pete_k
10-25-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm driving along the KVR railbed. Some guys baiting deer with wedges of apples stuck in the crotches of the trees beside the road.
I'll be on the watch for him again this year.

This type of baiting is illegal isn't it?

Shooter
10-25-2008, 10:24 PM
Nope. totally legal. Only animal you can't bait in B.C. I believe is a bear.

pete_k
10-25-2008, 10:26 PM
lol..Oops.

Dirty
10-25-2008, 10:30 PM
lol..Oops.
I took down all of his bait I could find and burned it back at camp.

Good job. Did you phone the CO to come and fine you for interfering with a legal hunt. Read the regs before you plan to be Ned Flanders the hunter and go and act all righteous.

Steeleco
10-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Maybe he'll think he's onto something!! Buy you'd better hope he's not a member here, you baddy!! :shock::shock:

sparkes3
10-25-2008, 10:32 PM
not illegal to bait, but he might have been to close to the road.

pete_k
10-25-2008, 10:33 PM
hey. my bad..
I read baiting was illegal, but obviously not deep enough.

Dirty
10-25-2008, 10:35 PM
I heard hooked on phonics has worked for a lot of people. So has ESL, ask Rishu.

Steeleco
10-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I heard hooked on phonics has worked for a lot of people. So has ESL, ask Rishu.

Play nice!!

Ddog
10-25-2008, 11:08 PM
hard to play nice when someone readily and intentionally interfered with a legal hunt.

Why is it that every year this topic comes up? Do people really not read the hunting regulations? once you pass the core test and get your hunter number you actually have more responsibility on knowing what is legal and illegal while you are in the bush with a weapon!
if you cant find it in the regs ask before you do it!

pete_k
10-25-2008, 11:13 PM
well it hardly seems fair chase none the less.
I said it was my bad.. geez. Lighten up.

I'm just lucky the bait was right on the damn road anyways,
which was right across the river which ran next to a highway.
(ie: withinn 400 meters of a highway)
I don't feel so bad about it now.

Big Daddy Ryan
10-25-2008, 11:16 PM
lol..Oops.
I took down all of his bait I could find and burned it back at camp.

Wow I definatly would not have admitted that to anybody on here. You do realize that interfering with a persons right to hunt is a criminal offence right???

pete_k
10-25-2008, 11:20 PM
I know now. Damage is done.

kgriz
10-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Oh please......if they really upheld that I can think of a couple of guides that would be in trouble:rolleyes:

huntwriter
10-25-2008, 11:51 PM
I am glad to see that almost everybody replying to pete_k obviously never makes a mistake and is familiar with every word written in the regulations.

The guy sees that he made a mistake and even apologizes for it. Give him a break or at very least leave out personal insults. Besides, if the bait is located that close to the road as pete_k said it is then it’s illegal to hunt there anyway.

Derek_Erickson
10-25-2008, 11:58 PM
I was wondering what ate up all my bait dammit

huntsooke1
10-26-2008, 12:04 AM
he just cant hunt like a real man:mad:

Fisher-Dude
10-26-2008, 04:34 AM

400 m of which highway? There's no 400 m rule along the highway proximal to the KVR (ie Hwy 33) in 8-12. That highway only has a 15 m from the centre line or 15 m from the shoulder, depending on it's configuration. If it's 2 lanes wide, it's 15 m from the centre line, and if it's 3 lanes wide (passing lane), it's 15 m from the shoulder.

I'd suggest you put a copy of the regs in the bathroom, and spend some quality time brushing up on the rules before calling out a legal hunter as a poacher.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-26-2008, 04:50 AM
Hmmmmmmmm........obviously, the baiting techniques of a highly skilled "road hunter":razz:.
Keeps the vehicle from getting dirty.

Maybe looking for squirrels??

SSS

338 winmag
10-26-2008, 07:18 AM
I think the question here should be whether the intentional baiting of deer should be legal or not ?

Dirty
10-26-2008, 07:41 AM

I like how you are continually editing the story to make it look like it was illegal. Did you get your range finder out to make sure he wasn't 401 meters away from the highway. It seems like you need to use some due diligence when making rash decisisions. Maybe you need to sit down and review the entire regulations. Fair chase has minimal ties to regulations. Baiting is not illegal, interfering with a legal hunt is illegal. Like I said I hope the cadets, brownies, or cub scouts taught you to really take a look at laws/situation before turning into a robo-co/renta-co.

DDD
10-26-2008, 07:53 AM
What huntwriter said X2!

mark
10-26-2008, 08:03 AM
What huntwriter said X2!

NO!!! What FD said X2!!!!! I cant think of anywhere on the KVR I wouldnt shoot from???? Aside from that, you guys ever consider that it might be a bowhunter????
Do the right thing and go restock it with fresh apples :-D.

browningboy
10-26-2008, 08:08 AM
If I lived in Rock Creek or the Koots (and had land) I would just make a large food plot like they do in the states, it would be interesting to wait a few generations to see if the nutrition would make their racks bigger!

338 winmag
10-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Shooting a buck over a crate of apples takes about the same skill level as securing a butterball turkey the day before Thanksgiving , i believe baiting should be left to the handicap hunters that actually cant get around in the bush .

rishu_pepper
10-26-2008, 08:30 AM

FYI I got A's in 200-level English courses in UBC, so I'm pretty proud of how far my English skill set has come along. :roll::biggrin:

As far as this goes, the damage has been done and pete_k admitted his mistake, so let's just move on, shall we..? :-D

boxhitch
10-26-2008, 08:56 AM
NO!!! What FD said X2!!!!! I cant think of anywhere on the KVR I wouldnt shoot from???? Aside from that, you guys ever consider that it might be a bowhunter????
Do the right thing and go restock it with fresh apples :-D.
What he says X10 !!
Or a flippin birdwatcher ?
Man, I can't believe how judgemental you guys can get. True character flaws in life.
Live and let live.

calvin L
10-26-2008, 08:58 AM
They where not baiting . Thay ran out of bread crums it was the last thing left in the pack so they could find there way home :tongue:

calvin L

huntwriter
10-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Shooting a buck over a crate of apples takes about the same skill level as securing a butterball turkey the day before Thanksgiving , i believe baiting should be left to the handicap hunters that actually cant get around in the bush .

This is a huge misconception many hunters share that never hunted over bait. I use to think that too until I hunted over bait in Texas and Michigan. It was a opinion changing experience.

huntwriter
10-26-2008, 09:14 AM
...it would be interesting to wait a few generations to see if the nutrition would make their racks bigger!

The problem with Quality Deer Management (QDM) that is rarely talked about is that you have to have the genetics in the deer herd to produce large antlers. If these genetics are not there you can feed the deer all the nutrition you want and still will not get large antlered bucks.
That’s the reason why some outfitters in the states pay hundreds of thousands dollars for a large antlered farmed buck to add as breeding stock to their wild deer herd.

tikkat3
10-26-2008, 10:40 AM
HBC Saints to the rescue!

Edward Teach
10-26-2008, 11:20 AM
FYI I got A's in 200-level English courses in UBC, so I'm pretty proud of how far my English skill set has come along. :roll::biggrin:

Yeah well when your only competitors are Chinese...
You DO know what UBC stands for, don't you?

ThisIsLiving
10-26-2008, 11:25 AM
I like how you are continually editing the story to make it look like it was illegal. Did you get your range finder out to make sure he wasn't 401 meters away from the highway. It seems like you need to use some due diligence when making rash decisisions. Maybe you need to sit down and review the entire regulations. Fair chase has minimal ties to regulations. Baiting is not illegal, interfering with a legal hunt is illegal. Like I said I hope the cadets, brownies, or cub scouts taught you to really take a look at laws/situation before turning into a robo-co/renta-co.

Give Him A break honestly man its said and done with leave it at that people make mistakes..... grow up honestly do you have nothing better to do but harrass someone who made an honest mistake who has owned up to it and apologized.....

308Lover
10-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Gosh! Shucks! I have an honors English degree and I still don't know how we got from apple slices to Rishu's English and on to genetics! I'm glad I never posted that baiting question! LOL LOL

huntcoop
10-26-2008, 12:04 PM

Now that is friggin' funny.

DeerWhisperer
10-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I was camping up in rock creek along the railway and kept food stashes for myself in the trees. Somebody raided my camp and stole my truck and all of my food, but I was lucky because I thought my stashes in the trees would be safe. Needless to say I almost starved up there just because somebody thought I was baiting animals. Let this be a lesson to the young hunters out there mind your own buisness... :-P

rishu_pepper
10-26-2008, 07:37 PM

You haters are just jealous :tongue:

dana
10-26-2008, 08:30 PM
How do you know the apples were for deer? We used to kill a lot of bears off the old railway in the spring. Maybe, the guy was baiting those bears with the apples eh? This thread is beyond stupid. Stupid for the guy that posted it and stupid for the ethics police that have ripped him for it. This site is on it's way out because you guys can't contol yourselves when it comes to tearing other hunters apart. It's going the way of HS, in the toliet. The more you guys rip, the more that people won't post, the more that it gets boring, the more that people just slowly move away. The cure is simple moderation, but some of the mods are the worst offenders so there is really is no hope.

boxhitch
10-26-2008, 09:14 PM
But Dana, you realize this is nothing new, either.
Show me a site that doesn't have bickering. Even M-M i bet ?

Gateholio
10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Eagles.jpg

Fisher-Dude
10-26-2008, 09:44 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Eagles.jpg

Those fricken eagles are stealin' my apples outta that tree! :mad:

Steeleco
10-26-2008, 09:52 PM
The personal attacks and inflammatory comments seem to be escalating, keep it on topic, or it gets closed.

husky30-06
10-26-2008, 10:05 PM
wow!!!!!! I am new here and have found that this is ridiculous, I was not really aware of the baiting for deer. I have been hunting for about 23 years, my dad just never talked about it and I found that just stalking or chancing on the animals was just fine. but come on why beat him up about it, bigger fish to fry!

Tikka7mm
10-26-2008, 11:36 PM

ha........ha..........Good one Dirty..............:| Someone piss in your corn flakes? From what I can see, Pete K posed an innocent question and by the looks of things has already admitted to his "honest mistake". Your attitude is reminicent of the 19 year old grade 10 bully....:-P Give the guy a break.

GoatGuy
10-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Now everybody's gonna know the secret to hunting big white-tails in 8-12.

I'll fess up - those were my apples. :redface:

They were strategically located so I didn't have to leave the quad to see if any monster bucks were 'hitting the bait'.

After the teachings of the dude I've combined baiting, road hunting and quad hunting all together.

Once I get a big buck hitting the bait I get my ground blind set up for my quad and sit and wait for the monster to come out and pick the apple out of the tree. If you tuck the apple in tight they have to really work at it and they'll stand around a little bit longer which gives me time to wake up, get off the quad and shoot the buck.

Warning: you need a rebuilt quad to do this effectively.

The secret's out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have one though - you obviously didn't find the secret used scent dropper plugs in the trees. Everything loves the smell............

boxhitch
10-27-2008, 09:28 AM
GG, do you set up the pallet tree-house on the same side as the apples ?

GoatGuy
10-27-2008, 09:32 AM
GG, do you set up the pallet tree-house on the same side as the apples ?

It goes on the handlebars of the quad in that spot.

I have an auto start and auto throttle. I just sit on it and putt around checking out my spots.

Full camo so that the deer don't know there's anybody on the quad.

Works great!

BCrams
10-27-2008, 10:26 AM
For those of you who like seeing pictures of those big bucks from Saskatchewan the outfitters take all the time.

Bet most of you didn't know they're all taken over bait! Outfitters are not allowed to hunt fields and must hunt the 'bush' so to speak. (except the native outfit on their own land) Every stand and blind they hunt out of are over bait .... with 'oats' being preferred.

BCrams
10-27-2008, 10:27 AM
It goes on the handlebars of the quad in that spot.

I have an auto start and auto throttle. I just sit on it and putt around checking out my spots.

Full camo so that the deer don't know there's anybody on the quad.

Works great!

You hunt with FD?? :lol:

Doe Eyes
10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't feel so bad about it now.[/quote]

What Highway are we talking about here? Highway 33?
Highway 33 does NOT have a 400 meter no No Shooting road allowance.

"15 meters on either side of the middle of a road with less than 3 lanes."

GoatGuy
10-27-2008, 12:49 PM
You hunt with FD?? :lol:

No, but I read his book. Road Hunting for Dummies: tips and tricks from a successful road hunter.

You can find it at chapters.

KevinB
10-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Damn, that was my lunch! now what am I going to eat...fricken' tubers or something that I have to dig up...

Pete, I think what you did was at least well-intentioned. You didn't interfere with a legal hunt on purpose, and even though you did remove someone's legally placed bait, I don't think it really had a big effect on their hunting experience. It's not like they hiked a bale of alfalfa 20 miles into the mountains and you burned it up. Definitley learn from it but don't lose any sleep over it...

Stone Sheep Steve
10-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Did you "smile" for the camera??:smile:

Most baitpiles are accompanied by a trailcam of some sorts.

SSS

10-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Those aren't bait, they are food sources placed by the Starling Conservation Society of the Okanagan Valley.

boxhitch
10-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Starling Conservation Society of the Okanagan Valley
Those bunch are bad news. They are PO'ed that some folk have trapped several thousand of the intruders this year, budgets for stepped up trapping.
Maybe the apples were just a test sight ?

#1fishslayer
10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
I found a huge salad this year. lol Looked kinda funny laying there in the ditch.

Dirty
10-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I found a huge salad this year. lol Looked kinda funny laying there in the ditch.

Did you toss it?:tongue:

10-27-2008, 10:32 PM
LMAO, you guys are too much....!

Gateholio
10-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Did you toss it?:tongue:

Despite the good humour (after the initial flurry of excitement) This thread is getting locked now...:cool: